Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question What music service is best?

Am i the only person in the world who uses YouTube music?

I use it for storing some of my old mp3 collection and I store some of those tracks on my phone which are now only accesible via YouTube Music since it is what Google Music morphed into. I don't subscribe to the streaming service though. I do subscribe to youtube proper where you can just download tracks for offline listening anyway.

TBH It was way better when it was Google Music and you could just access your entire mp3 library at will through the cloud, but now you have to un-archive it via google and only via a browser, its a right faff so I only ever use it to get at tracks I cannot otherwise find on Spotify or youtube proper.

I use Soundcloud/Mixcloud, but use a sly downloader to get the files offline onto Google Drive, then download, using a non-iTunes offline music app on my phone to sort into playlists and listen to them.
It’s very inconvenient and faffy but have not yet found a tolerable alternative.
I only really listen to Dj mixes and music podcasts so have no use for Spotify/Amazon/iTunes/MSM players.
The only music I buy these days is music made by friends and acquaintances :oops:

(If I want to listen to individual artists, which I occasionally do in, in an ADHD hyperfocused manner, I create playlists on YouTube as I have recently with Sparks and Prefab Sprout - good for exploring back catalogues innit.
Bloody ads though - the only ads I see these days are on YouTube and All4)

Safari on phone, chrome on laptop
chrome addon

Ive no idea about Safari but Opera has adblock built in and theres opera for iPhone
Opera mobile is brilliant IMO

oooh
I've just been given 3 months of YouTube premium or whatever it's called and it includes YTMusic

Y'know, I don't recall if I used this or not at the time as I was prolly subscribed to Spotify.

Does anyone know if, when you subscribe to YT Premium, are you able to run YTmusic on Android phones that have a different account linked to the play store/google [than that of the subscriber, in this case, me]?

I ask because "If you are a YouTube Premium or YouTube Music Premium member, you can use the offline features of your paid membership on up to 10 devices at a time" [from here]

I read this as:
  • I can pay £11.99 a month
  • lil'Angel and MrsA and I could all use YTmusic on our Android phones and iPads (6 devices).

Does anyone know if this is correct/will work? Or would we have to go through the nonsense of setting up a 4th Google account for this to work, and, would that work?

I've used all of them and I prefer Tidal for its user interface and selection of compilations, play lists etc. £9.99.

No need to go to the premium tier unless you want to download to play offline or for MQA masters of which some sound better, some sound worse or no different and you wouldn't notice anyway unless you have a high end set up.

I mostly listen to music through YouTube, slap enough Likes on the kind of kind of tunes you enjoy and the website will automatically compile a playlist for you, called "My Mix". You don't have to pay for this and it can also include all the independent and really weird stuff that isn't available on conventional streaming platforms. It will even stick in some stuff that's new to you, not enough for my liking but it does happen.

I mostly listen to music through YouTube, slap enough Likes on the kind of kind of tunes you enjoy and the website will automatically compile a playlist for you, called "My Mix". You don't have to pay for this and it can also include all the independent and really weird stuff that isn't available on conventional streaming platforms. It will even stick in some stuff that's new to you, not enough for my liking but it does happen.
YouTube or YTMusic?

Adblock for me to block YT- absolute game changer. I don't watch All4 enough to warrant finding a similar thing.

Back
Top Bottom