Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WhatsApp New Terms of Service (Jan/Feb 2021)

It would be very satisfying to see loads of people move to Signal (or elsewhere) in response to this, and Facebook left holding a platform that a bunch of people have abandoned.
It would set a good precedent too

I’m surprised at the amount of people popping up on signal and telegram this week. So clearly the word is kind of spreading. But alas none of my family have shown up and I really can’t be arsed with even attempting to get them too. Especially at the moment. Another reason why Thryve probably chosen now as a good time to do this.

This naturally troubled WhatsApp, which is now trying to do some damage control by clearing the air over some rumors.

We want to address some rumors and be 100% clear we continue to protect your private messages with end-to-end encryption. pic.twitter.com/6qDnzQ98MP
— WhatsApp (@WhatsApp) January 12, 2021

Using a nicely laid-out infographic (above), it clarifies that neither WhatsApp nor Facebook can read your private messages, while the accompanying text lists out the things it does not share with its parent company. However, it deliberately doesn’t talk about the information and metadata it in fact collects and shares with Facebook because that would’ve turned into a much longer list.

WhatsApp additionally notes how it plans to offer Facebook’s hosting services to WhatsApp Business accounts and integrate Facebook Shops in the chat app. Your interaction with these Shops will indeed be used to personalize ads across Facebook and Instagram.

So how do the bluetooth/wifi (p2p mesh) messaging apps work? That the pro-democracy demonstrators in HK & Myanmar are using?

Bridgefy & the like. Range must be limited, so all users are nodes? How do you know who is legit?

I'd say that'd be more about resilience to counteract the internet being cut off rather than privacy - although you'd have end to end encryption to ensure that even if someone bad gets your message they wouldn't be able to read it.

This is popping up again in my feeds...

Anyone ditched it completely yet or are you, like me and a few people I know, still using WhatsApp alongside Signal and/or Telegram??

I signed up to Signal when the initial publicity came out but I’m pretty sure I haven’t been asked to accept new terms for WhatsApp yet - have they put them on hold?

Meet 'Russia's Mark Zuckerberg', the billionaire exile behind Telegram
January 27, 2021 Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Meet Moxie Marlinspike, the Anarchist Bringing Encryption to All of Us
Marlinspike quickly picked up where he’d left off. In early 2013 he relaunched his startup as an open source project called Open Whisper Systems. To fund it, he turned to Dan Meredith, director of the Open Technology Fund, a group supported by the Broadcasting Board of Governors, best known for running Radio Free Europe. Meredith had long admired Marlinspike’s encryption apps. As a former security tech at Al Jazeera, he had relied on them to protect reporters and sources during the Arab Spring. “They were what our most sensitive sources used,” Meredith says. “I knew Moxie could do this, and we had the money to make it possible.” The OTF gave Open Whisper Systems around $500,000 in its first year and in total has funneled close to $2.3 million to the group.

With that funding and more from wealthy donors that Marlinspike declines to name, he began recruiting developers and hosting them at periodic retreats in Hawaii, where they’d alternate surfing and coding. In quick succession, Open Whisper Systems released Signal and then versions for Android and the Chrome browser. (Open Whisper Systems has since integrated changes from dozens of open source contributors but still uses the same cryptographic skeleton laid out by Marlinspike and Trevor Perrin in 2013.)
Sounds legit. The Broadcasting Board of Governors is now the U.S. Agency for Global Media.

I signed up to Signal when the initial publicity came out but I’m pretty sure I haven’t been asked to accept new terms for WhatsApp yet - have they put them on hold?

" WhatsApp then moved to delay the new policy launch to May from February and sought to clarify the update was focused on allowing users to message with businesses and would not affect personal conversations, which will continue to have end-to-end encryption. "

I get the feeling I'm in a minority nowadays that just rejects why we need all these platforms. It seems like you're expected to be on certain ones to be able to keep in touch. It used to be Facebook, then Google+, Twitter. Yesterday it was WhatsApp, today Telegram, tomorrow something else again. As they all harvest your data.

Is there fundamentally something wrong with keeping in touch with people by such 'antique' methods such as email, text, or even a good old natter on the phone? Hell, I've even sent and really enjoyed a few letters/cards dropping through the door in the last year?! Obviously video conferencing/calls has been a huge shift during the pandemic but I don't think this is about 'platform' but rather because it has managed to provide for that loss of personal social interaction we've had to deal with, whether work or personally.

Perhaps I've got this wrong, it just constantly seems that the 'choice of platform' is becoming more important than the very basic act of simply reaching out to old mates, making new connections, organising without the added layer of being signed up to an 'app'.

Yours, acatladyinthemaking

Signal doesn’t collect your data. Fwiw.

Personally: I find the messaging apps handy because they use wifi/data rather than phone signal - means it’s cheaper to be in touch with people in other countries, because my phone contract only covers the uk. It means I can send documents / photos / videos without paying extra for an mms. & it’s possible to create group chats, which I can’t do with sms.

Yeah, it's not that these platforms clearly don't have their uses, as your examples illustrate, especially in terms of cost over geographical area - but the internet does that already. It's that the platform changes pretty rapidly now or you end up pushed into using multiple ones because everyone uses a different one today and then tomorrow. I suppose this has always been the case to a degree - MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc. although they seemed to exist unchanged for the most part for many years. We now seem to be on some sort of hyper shift of 'platforms' and 'apps'.

in a way it’s just a different way of using the internet - I could use email to do all the things mentioned that signal/telegram/whatsapp etc do, but I find it more convenient to do it using phone numbers than email addresses. Dunno why but for one thing, people I talk to tend to keep the same phone number far more consistently than their email addresses.

To varying degrees. Some are minimally invasive.

No, it just depends what level of privacy/trust you seek/expect.

Although I do have concerns about big data, how data is used from social media in terms of targeted advertising, being sold, etc. that's not my primary rumination here (yes, I'm feeling lonely and at a loose end this afternoon!)... pandemic aside because this was happening before lockdown, etc. kicked off, it's what it says (might say?) about the human condition in the 2020s. We all used to be able to make connections (some long-term) through the early world wide web (I guess its why urban still exists for one), protests, raves, groups, whatever. And despite very basic 'technologies' in use such as phone, text, and early internet email and messaging, that seemed enough to compliment real world interactions too.

Wrong thread I suppose for philosophising but the thread got me thinking about it. WhatsApp being yesterday's 'big thing' (and the 'get yourself on there, we'll keep in touch better'), and now it's Telegram or Signal. That said, coming back to the privacy angle, I wonder whether in a year's time it'll be the same thing with them as WhatsApp and something new and shiny again will be touted as the next secure way of 'keeping in touch'.

But does it? Is this now seemingly rapid shift of different 'platforms' and 'apps' all the time actually on a broad scale helping to keep us connected and making connections, or does its constant change just make it harder?

It does make it harder - and IM has always been a bit like that. This video is really interesting:

AIM was the first big one that pretty much everyone seemed to have. MSN also for a time became really popular. But you had things like Trillian which talked multiple protocols which could integrate everything together.

I suppose it was the advent of end-to-end encryption that effectively killed off Trillian and the like. It's still going but doesn't support the protocols that most people are now using.

WhatsApp was great and so convenient as pretty much everyone had it. The encryption was great because everyone had become aware of how bad privacy and advertising surveillance had become let alone government surveillance. Then Facebook bought them and the clock started ticking towards inevitable demise.

So in answer to your question, judging by history, yes it's pretty likely that the churn will continue as it always has. FWIW, Signal has the best chance of still being around as it's open source, non-commercial yet seems to have all the features that people want.

But why should human communication be mediated by corporations anyway? This is also why Signal is the choice du jour. It's deliberately not a for profit corporation and is completely open source.

I suppose it was the advent of end-to-end encryption that effectively killed off Trillian and the like. It's still going but doesn't support the protocols that most people are now using.
You can easily have e2e with an open protocol if you want. It was a deliberate decision by big tech companies to remove general interoperability, before e2e was standard, which was really led by Facebook I would say, but the rest of them were very happy to contribute. In fact it happened across all social media, and the net generally, not just messengers (e.g. google's Amp). The general situation has got significantly worse over the last decade or so, led by the huge increase in available profit from running a dominant social media network.

Back
Top Bottom