Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

what no annual poppy bunfight thread?

poppy?

• Total voters
I don't think this thread should have been made. The annual poppy gets enough attention as it is without bickering over it.

How about a perennial poppy thread? Check out this lovely specimen:

LAsGE2e.jpg

Neither did the conscripted lads. I expect most of the young ones wouldn't have dared be conscientious objectors, or realised what they were in for :(
tbh you read e.g. the south london press or hackney gazette from the time of the first world war and you'll see loads and loads of people up in court for trying to get out of being called up or dodging conscription: there was a lot of it about because people knew very well what was going on. and if they didn't then it was because of wilful ignorance. round the time of the battle of ancre there was a film of the battle of the somme in loads of cinemas with its bloodthirsty character emphasised. plus if that wasn't enough it said the projectionist was one of a large number of men invalided from the front specially trained to work in cinemas out of sight and mind.

tbh you read e.g. the south london press or hackney gazette from the time of the first world war and you'll see loads and loads of people up in court for trying to get out of being called up or dodging conscription: there was a lot of it about because people knew very well what was going on. and if they didn't then it was because of wilful ignorance. round the time of the battle of ancre there was a film of the battle of the somme in loads of cinemas with its bloodthirsty character emphasised. plus if that wasn't enough it said the projectionist was one of a large number of men invalided from the front specially trained to work in cinemas out of sight and mind.
Aye, even the 'horrors of war' and 'lions lead by donkeys' narratives don't represent the real picture - that lots of people weren't conned and tried to avoid the whole bloody madness.

Aye, even the 'horrors of war' and 'lions lead by donkeys' narratives don't represent the real picture - that lots of people weren't conned and tried to avoid the whole bloody madness.
and then you had people topping themselves in london because they couldn't take the stress of the air raids.

Red, what else would you expect? :D

I wear it to remember my friends who have died, and also all the millions of others who died.

Remembrance is not the primary reason for purchase though, the primary reason is to make a donation that will make life better for all those who didn't die, but are badly broken. These people have been serially let let down, by every mealy mouthed bunch of cunts masquerading as a government, since time immemorial.
Yeah, why didn't Kitchener join up and serve on the front as well, the hypocrtie

Neither did the conscripted lads. I expect most of the young ones wouldn't have dared be conscientious objectors, or realised what they were in for :(
even if could qualify or had the ability or support to apply for exemption. and had what were deemed acceptable grounds. iirc, usually that they had skills better utilised at home. iirc, not many got to claim a moral objection and those that did usually got assigned to some form of civilian service.

I think they're a pale imitation without Clint but it's good to hear them do Their Law live these days

If anybody should have been up in court and shot at dawn for desertion, it SHOULD have been the shitbag politicians who SHOULD ALWAYS be the very very first to be called up and ordered to the front as cannon fodder in the most junior ranks first.

As an Irish Republican it's safe to say I wouldn't be seen dead in one. Good way to tell who's a prod and who's a taig here lol.

Just an observation, times were different and mebbes it's time to move on?

The people commemorating that are self serving elitists. I will silently pay my respects to those conscripts who had no choice in fighting war but one thing I will not be doing is contributing money to the RBL or remember soldiers who volunteer to go around the world doing Britain's dirty business. Especially not after the things they done to my country and people.

The people commemorating that are self serving elitists. I will silently pay my respects to those conscripts who had no choice in fighting war but one thing I will not be doing is contributing money to the RBL or remember soldiers who volunteer to go around the world doing Britain's dirty business. Especially not after the things they done to my country and people.
That's your view and your position, thankfully we are both in a country where both our views and positions can be expressed, and that's down to those who fought and died. History is a difficult country, focus on the future.

Especially not after the things they done to my country and people.
I think that's fair enough. I wish people could appreciate that history isn't one linear story, there are multiple perspectives. Bit too complex for many folks' purposes though.

I'm fully aware of the impact the world wars had on my grandparents, the loss of two great uncles at the Somme leaving my granddad without his siblings at 8 years old, my other granddad's horrific experiences at sea and the Normandy landings. I'll remember them and their mates my own way, without public displays and without buying into establishment lies about this country's current expeditions.

Back
Top Bottom