Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What little things have you done

Found myself pondering the possibility of getting some kind of hook-up 'thing' to attach to my exercise bike, to generate small amount of electricity. Wondering if it could be stored up, in a battery or something, for use later.
I had been sitting on some large DC motors for decades which came out of mainframe tape drives so in 2020 when my bike broke and I was sent home anyway, I tried to build something - sadly it would have needed much higher gearing to produce and useable current - let alone provide any pedalling resistance - and the folly reminded me in any case that I can't stand the boredom of cycling and going nowhere and I opted for walking laps of the park instead ...

Strava calculates that over a 21 mile, hour and a half cycle ride I averaged 232 watts.

Last edited:
Well I'm on it most days, as is the fella, so it'd be approx 5 or 6 hours of pedal power a week. I know it's a tiddly amount, but maybe if there's a way to save the power generated, it could build up, for use on days when the power is out, for essential stuff like boiling water to wash or cook with.

I gather many bikes do not qualify for ULEZ
Sadly, I think that's true.
However, the littlest bike I have has very good fuel economy, especially when driven carefully. It's only 175cc, three-speed and doesn't have much of a top speed. Handling is, shall we say, a bit idiosyncratic ! There's a fair chance that mine used to be bright red ...

Found myself pondering the possibility of getting some kind of hook-up 'thing' to attach to my exercise bike, to generate small amount of electricity. Wondering if it could be stored up, in a battery or something, for use later.
This is what you need:

Replaced shower gel and liquid soap with solid soap and minimal packaging, swapped to shampoo bars and will do same for conditioner when bottle runs out.

We've been only buying fruit, veg and wine from the Northern hemisphere for a while to try to cut down on food miles. It's interesting because it makes you much more aware of seasonality and whether there's been a good/bad season for various things (especially asparagus).

Replaced shower gel and liquid soap with solid soap and minimal packaging, swapped to shampoo bars and will do same for conditioner when bottle runs out.

We've been only buying fruit, veg and wine from the Northern hemisphere for a while to try to cut down on food miles. It's interesting because it makes you much more aware of seasonality and whether there's been a good/bad season for various things (especially asparagus).

When we were kids, everything was eaten in season.

My phone only comes into the bedroom under certain, very limited, circumstances, most of the time it is in another room. [left on for text messages].
Alarm system is the "dawn chorus" and attacks on the bird feeder, although the clock radio warbles into life as a reminder to haul out of the warm bed ...

There's an estate I walk through almost every day, which is almost completely made up of shared road/pathway, i.e. no pavements. When walking in the dark, around a curved section with open-fronted car ports on the inside, I walk on the outside of the curve, so as not to set off the ports' motion-sensitive lights.

I'm not even sure ceramics can be recycled.

The short answer is yes. One of the ways that potters will condition clay to give it a better chance of surviving a kiln is to mix in about 20% ground up pots. This is only unglazed pots, so there's a limitation. You can also used glazed ceramic to make mosaic designs. Some people do this instead of buying commercial flooring.

Back
Top Bottom