Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is a “Grassroots Movement”?

PTK

Paul Kegan
We often hear an organisation being described as a “grassroots movement”.

What is a grassroots movement?

Are there movements that are not “grassroots”?

one you agree with?
I saw an historian claiming that the Anti-Nazi League was a grassroots movement, but I dispute that. I think that ANL was founded by a certain central committee. It was not based on existing campaigns against racism and fascism, such as those that organised the anti-fascist protests in Wood Green and Lewisham.

I saw an historian claiming that the Anti-Nazi League was a grassroots movement, but I dispute that. I think that ANL was founded by a certain central committee. It was not based on existing campaigns against racism and fascism, such as those that organised the anti-fascist protests in Wood Green and Lewisham.
Yes it was very top down no democratic structure at all: in all its incarnations. Just like current SWP fronts LMHR-SUTR and of course Hope Not Hate
The. Only anti-fascist group with a democratic structure in any sense was AFA

If we're talking about Momentum in the present tense then I don't think Momentum in 2024 is very much of anything at all. Probably a different conversation to be had about what Momentum was in 2015 or 2016 or so, though.

I think it would be fair to say that some of its local, activity was often initiated at grassroots level

I think it would be fair to say that some of its local, activity was often initiated at grassroots level
It definitely had a spontaneous element. Me and several schoolmates went along to the demos, and eventually to the occasional meeting, aged 14-15, and we'd only vaguely heard of the SWP. We were more inspired by the more political punk elements, and a simple wish not to see our black and Asian mates picked on just for being who they were.

Yeah, I think with any of these things it's easy to have clear categories in your head but real-life movements rarely fit into these kinds of clear-cut binaries, cos any movement that has any activity at all will likely rely on some kind of grassroots enthusiasm.

Think it's probably fair to say Enough is Enough isn't a great example though.

Back
Top Bottom