Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What have the police blown up in North Greenwich Station?

1%er

Anyone know what is going on? I got a text from a friend about it, said the station has been closed for ages and something has been blown up.

Can't see much on news sites

Edit Found this but doesn't say much

Found at 11am, so more than 5 hours ago (unless you've changed your clocks) That's a long time to deal with something in London isn't it?

Found at 11am, so more than 5 hours ago (unless you've changed your clocks) That's a long time to deal with something in London isn't it?

it takes em that long to decide who's gonna do the thing and sign off the paperworks probably.

imagine if there was a legit threat. lol it's a joke. blame middle management.

Looks like no-one is going to give any more information until the police have found out where it came from.

Official statement just released to all staff:

"No one was harmed and a police investigation is now underway to establish the origin of the item."

The amount of time and the fact that they used a controlled explosion could indicate it was the real deal, I wonder if it is the only device?

Must be rush hour there about now

They almost did that to my saxophone at Southgate :(
I caught staff taking my bike away in 1999 - in Marylebone station. I was only buying a coffee. They cut through my expensive lock - accused me of ignoring signs not to chain my bike up so I asked them to show me where the signs were and they couldn't - but they did cite terrorism precautions - apparently my bike might have had a bomb in it. I managed to get my bike back but because I swore they called the police and tried to stop me from getting on my train. I got on anyway and as the train set off I saw plod coming up the platform. I got off one stop before my destination just to be on the safe side and cycled the remaining ten miles into Sheffield.

I caught staff taking my bike away in 1999 - in Marylebone station. I was only buying a coffee. They cut through my expensive lock - accused me of ignoring signs not to chain my bike up so I asked them to show me where the signs were and they couldn't - but they did cite terrorism precautions - apparently my bike might have had a bomb in it. I managed to get my bike back but because I swore they called the police and tried to stop me from getting on my train. I got on anyway and as the train set off I saw plod coming up the platform. I got off one stop before my destination just to be on the safe side and cycled the remaining ten miles into Sheffield.

This Bike is a Pipe Bomb?

Good band they are.

Coventry IRA bombing: The 'forgotten' attack on a British city - BBC News

Whatever.... A sign would have been nice.

Also all the cars parked in the front of the station were probably far more likely to have bombs in them but that was fine apparently.

I've never take much notice of these things anymore, it happens so often. And 99% of the time it's nothing.

Just because they chose to blow it up it doesn't mean it was anything more than the usual some idiot left their stuff laying around unattended.

Sheffield? Marylebone hasn't had any Sheffield trains since the '60s. :hmm:

I've never take much notice of these things anymore, it happens so often. And 99% of the time it's nothing.

Just because they chose to blow it up it doesn't mean it was anything more than the usual some idiot left their stuff laying around unattended.

I reckon it was your headphones.

that can't be true! I caught a train from Marylebone to Sheffield in 1999. I didn't imagine it. Can't remember if I changed or not on the way - but don't think so.

just looked it up - you could catch one today if you wanted to Trains London Marylebone to Sheffield - Train Timetables & Cheap Tickets

that can't be true! I caught a train from Marylebone to Sheffield in 1999. I didn't imagine it. Can't remember if I changed or not on the way - but don't think so.

just looked it up - you could catch one today if you wanted to Trains London Marylebone to Sheffield - Train Timetables & Cheap Tickets
Er...no you can't. That is telling you to catch a Tube to St. Pancras, which is where London>Sheffield trains DO depart from. As I said, Marylebone>Sheffield trains ceased in the '60s under Beeching's axe.

Er...no you can't. That is telling you to catch a Tube to St. Pancras, which is where London>Sheffield trains DO depart from. As I said, Marylebone>Sheffield trains ceased in the '60s under Beeching's axe.
well, i dreamt the whole incident then. as you were....

i'm sorry, Bungle73 has the right of it

from wikipedia

View attachment 94202
i could be losing my marbles then. Probably am.
You dreamed you went to Sheffield? I think you'll find the correct definition of that is a nightmare. :D
it was on my birthday - the day i turned 33. The ride into Sheffield was really nice - a bit cold (December) but I spent two days with my friend and his wife and while out, bought a couple of records that I still own - Pavement and Penthouse by H17 and the 3rd Frank black solo album - on vinyl.

also - I had to buy a new bike lock.

It was a very vivid dream.

could it not have been at st pancras?
It seems strange to me that I would ever confuse St Pancras with Marylebone. I even remember the cycle ride to Marlylebone.

I'm thinking - might it have been a temporary diversion while there were track problems or track works on the route out of St Pancras?

Otherwise I have to doubt the very foundation of my being.

I'm think - might it have been a temporary diversion while there were track problems or track works on the route out of St Pancras?
let's have a look. bear with me.

e2a: searched nexis for marylebone and pancras and trains and sheffield between 01/07/1998 and 30/06/2000 without finding anything relevant

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom