Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Happy Death Day, the slasher movie/black comedy variation on the time loop film is good fun. It even got a decent sequel which managed to be more than a mere repeat. I also enjoyed this years time loop movie, Palm Springs.

Uncle Peckerhead. A 2020 comedy-horror. Whereas it is low budget it looks and feels quite glossy. Checked it out after seeing it boasts a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

it certainly has an engaging and plot that is much more multilayered than you’d normally see in that sub genre. Not as good as the 100% rating might suggest, but certainly very decent.

Four Lions

As bitter sweet as ever

Chris Morris's crowning achievement (so far).
Absolute genius to make something so funny and tragic, often within the same scene, about such a raw subject matter.
Came out in 2007 I think , more relevant than ever.
Also has some of the most quotable lines which I couldn't possibly repeat here!

Night School. A Kevin Hart movie billed as a comedy. I didn't see any jokes though as I only watched an hour of it, they must all be at the end.

Black Box, low budget sci-fi-horror film about an amnesiac, undergoing a new treatment, which may not be what he thinks it is. Pretty good in a Twilight Zone way, with some decent plot twists and Mrs Huxtable from The Cosby Show gets to play a mad scientist.

Black Box, low budget sci-fi-horror film about an amnesiac, undergoing a new treatment, which may not be what he thinks it is. Pretty good in a Twilight Zone way, with some decent plot twists and Mrs Huxtable from The Cosby Show gets to play a mad scientist.
Sounds like one of those things you watch just to see what it's like.

Blood Quantum, Canadian zombie film about a zombie outbreak where only indigenous people are immune to the zombie plague. Got good reviews, but it didn't do much for me. Apart from the Native American twist, it didn't do anything new.

...and just because all of Urban is waiting for this with bated breath:

I'm stuck with my Louis Malle retrospective. The last few films don't look that enticing and the next film up (and the last one in my box set) is Milou en mai/Mai Fools. Nothing puts the fear in me like "gentle comedy of manners". I've also downloaded Damage and Vanya on 42nd Street. There are a few more films of his which I haven't been able to get hold of or which I have seen and don't need to see again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
I never knew Vanya on 42nd Street was Louis Malle. I saw it a few times on VHS in the '90s. Definitely worth a look, I'd say, even if it's inevitably more of a filmed stage drama than a movie.

I never knew Vanya on 42nd Street was Louis Malle. I saw it a few times on VHS in the '90s. Definitely worth a look, I'd say, even if it's inevitably more of a filmed stage drama than a movie.
His last film and it looks like the most interesting one of the ones I've got left.

Last edited:
You Should Have Left. A 2020! horror film with Kevin Bacon and Amanda Seyfried. It’s shit, don’t bother.

I've been working my way through everything Stargate over the last few months for nostalgia value, first SG1 which I saw as it aired. Done with that I moved onto Stargate: Atlantis which passed me by at the time. Who should turn up a couple of series in? Jason Momoa. As the groups Warrior hardcase like worf or tealc

Last night I watched Hardware which was bad to the point of incoherency but I stuck with it anyway having been sucked in by some good opening effects and Lemmy as a future taxi driver. Avoid.

The very first 2000AD movie :thumbs:
this is what attracted my attention in the first place and despite itself there are some really cool shots, you know where theres a sliver of promise and you stick with it to see if the underlying vision/idea will come through. Iggy Pop is in it as well, it has all the ingredients to be a fllawed gem of-its-time but it was a mess.

mid90s, Jonah Hill's writer/director debut from a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it a lot, bit of a Kids vibe, good central performances - right up until the final 30 seconds when it just ended with no real resolution, like they ran out of money and just decided to end partway through a scene.

mid90s, Jonah Hill's writer/director debut from a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it a lot, bit of a Kids vibe, good central performances - right up until the final 30 seconds when it just ended with no real resolution, like they ran out of money and just decided to end partway through a scene.
Was very good - someone on here recommended it a while ago.I even like the Morrisey track they used.

Dark River. On All4.

Yorkshire...a farmer's daughter returns to the family farm to claim the tenancy after he dies. I really like Clio Barnard's first 2 films but this one didn't work so well for me.

The Yorkshire scenery is beautiful but the setting is bleak, the farm is dilapidated and of another age. I spotted Markham Cove immediately though I don't ever remember going there. The dialogue is limited initially but it quickly becomes apparent what's happened. Like God's Own Country it's a sensitive story that's quite possibly based in some reality.

The acting wasn't great though, (Ruth Wilson can pull a serious face) and there were a few scenes that just didn't work. Still, worth a watch if you need to fill 90 minutes.

Colour out of Space. HP Lovecraft story turned into a film with Nicholas Cage. I almost thought he wasn't gonna play the usual loon but he turns it up to 11 and doesn't disappoint. A meteorite lands in his garden and sends the family and it's Alpacas mad. Entertaining enough and the effects were good.

Back
Top Bottom