Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

I saw the new Borat - nowhere near as funny as the first one and a bit redundant - it's just too easy for him to expose these nutbar Republicans - he didn't even need to be Borat to do so. Stil, some very funny moments.

his daughter stole the show i think. also, he wasnt as hard on the patriots as he could have been - i suggest his subjects were not as bigoted as he hoped

The Nun - having completely misremembered the reviews. It's even worse than they said, absolutely terrible (tho it might have helped if I'd seen any of the others in the Conjuring series).

The Nightingale - Jennifer Kents follow up to Babadook, and, my god, but it is brilliant. A western, rape-revenge, and damnation of colonialism and genocide drama. It is incredibly brutal and hard to watch at times but I couldn't take my eyes from it. The three leads are superb and the soundtrack is quite wonderful. Intense and magnificent.

Rebecca...the Ben Wheatley remake. An entirely watchable film, very different to his others. I probably saw the Hitchcock original years ago and I'll definitely seek it out just to see how much better it is.

Watched Parasite now that it's free on Amazon Prime a couple of nights ago. I liked it but not as much as I was expecting to. I thought the dialogue was really well written and the story would have been jarring if it hadn't been told so well, but it was seamlessly alarming. I still just didn't love it, I would have preferred a film that's more slimmed down but then it might not have been so seamless.

It's amazingly similar thematically to a certain other film that came out at about the same time.
Knives Out, Shoplifters ?

Antrum, which seems to divide horror fans, with some finding it scary and others finding it boring. I rather liked it and found it original and creepy. It starts with a first act that's a faux-documentary, explaining that there is this mysterious film from the 70s, made in Bulgaria but in English, which was submitted to and rejected by several film festivals. Everybody who watched the film died soon after. Then the main bulk of the film is Antrum in its entirety, with a warning that the cinema takes no responsibility for any effects the film may have.

The film itself has a grubby, handmade quality, which makes it rather dreamlike, bits are missing here and there and another film has been spliced in at times. It starts out very slow, almost like an experimental film, about a young woman who goes camping with her kid brother. The boy's dog had to be put down and he's been told, the dog is in hell, because he was a "bad dog". So his sister takes him to a spot, where she claims Satan has fallen to earth, to dig a hole in the forest to retrieve the dog from hell. The film has a genuinely sinister atmosphere and the plot takes on a babes-lost-in-the-woods fairy tale quality, where anything could happen. There is something lurking in the woods with the children and the film uses the jump cuts in the supposedly damaged film print rather well to suggest an evil presence lurking in the forest. It also brings in a couple of characters from a Texas Chainsaw Massacre-type of film.

Of course it can't live up to the claims that it's the most dangerous film ever made, but its film-within-a-film aspect works really well, it liberates the film from conventional narrative expectations and can just concentrate on atmosphere and scary situations. I can see why it wouldn't work for some as it's not a conventional horror film and in the first half it demands some patience from the viewer, but it worked on me.

This may be on Amazon Prime.

A3927D3F-8C1E-411E-99A3-5A58E52B03E7.jpeg

Last edited:
I also watched the first couple of episodes of a new horror anthology series called Monsterland, which I didn't like at all. Each story takes place in a different US state and they are more depressing than scary. The supernatural elements feel shoehorned into what are rather downbeat dramas about people in desperate circumstances (a young single mother who regrets having had her baby, a teenage boy who feels stuck caring for his disabled mother) . Each episode ends abruptly without any sort of explanation. If it was successful you could put it down to the stories being ambiguous, but here it just feels like they simply couldn't be bothered to make sense of the horror elements, which feel tacked on. The circumstances the characters find themselves in are bad enough. Like Lovecraft Country, another prestige horror tv series which is well cast and well directed and which has had money thrown at it but the writing lets it down.

Last edited:
The Alienist series 2 on Netflix - a manageable 6 x 50'ish, which is just as well as the oppressive industrial-gothic-Golden-Age-New-York smoke and darkness might have got a bit too much if it had dragged on any longer. A curate's egg ... some impressive visuals, amazing costumery and set pieces, decently doom-y shivery soundtrack. Dakota Fanning's rather good; the script isn't terrible but never really picks up momentum and hedges a lot of its bets. Plot is mostly bobbins and makes little sense. If you loved or hated S1 of this it's essentially more of the same.

Spoiler for content:
Plot revolves around child loss and infanticide with plenty of unpleasant violence against women too. Not in my view exploitative but getting pretty near it....

Un-serious spoiler that's one of its delights:
Bunny Colvin off the Wire, still acting the avuncular boss amid a sea of mire as a bar-keeper - and Jodie Foster being an amazingly intimidating 19th-c intellectual sexologist!

Antrum, which seems to divide horror fans, with some finding it scary and others finding it boring. I rather liked it and found it original and creepy. It starts with a first act that's a faux-documentary, explaining that there is this mysterious film from the 70s, made in Bulgaria but in English, which was submitted to and rejected by several film festivals. Everybody who watched the film died soon after. Then the main bulk of the film is Antrum in its entirety, with a warning that the cinema takes no responsibility for any effects the film may have.

The film itself has a grubby, handmade quality, which makes it rather dreamlike, bits are missing here and there and another film has been spliced in at times. It starts out very slow, almost like an experimental film, about a young woman who goes camping with her kid brother. The boy's dog had to be put down and he's been told, the dog is in hell, because he was a "bad dog". So his sister takes him to a spot, where she claims Satan has fallen to earth, to dig a hole in the forest to retrieve the dog from hell. The film has a genuinely sinister atmosphere and the plot takes on a babes-lost-in-the-woods fairy tale quality, where anything could happen. There is something lurking in the woods with the children and the film uses the jump cuts in the supposedly damaged film print rather well to suggest an evil presence lurking in the forest. It also brings in a couple of characters from a Texas Chainsaw Massacre-type of film.

Of course it can't live up to the claims that it's the most dangerous film ever made, but its film-within-a-film aspect works really well, it liberates the film from conventional narrative expectations and can just concentrate on atmosphere and scary situations. I can see why it wouldn't work for some as it's not a conventional horror film and in the first half it demands some patience from the viewer, but it worked on me.

This may be on Amazon Prime.

View attachment 235938

Watched this last night and thought it was great. The Antrum film as you say was very dreamlike and nicely shot, quite believable as an authentic 60s/70s film. I thought the kid and sister were really good and only the character in pants and wellies was a bit ott. I was expecting more of a climactic scene but was content enough with the ending.

Also watched The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue...also known as Don't Open The Windows and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie.

I never knew about this until a friend posted the trailer yesterday. It was a good find...a 1974 Spanish/Italian zombie film set in and near Manchester that's well worth watching.

Also watched The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue...also known as Don't Open The Windows and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie.

I never knew about this until a friend posted the trailer yesterday. It was a good find...a 1974 Spanish/Italian zombie film set in and near Manchester that's well worth watching.

Or Zombies vs Junkies, as I like to call it :D

It’s little known 70s gem, the Spanish horror films of the period are not as well known as the Italian ones, but there are some great ones.

“Listen, boy, you keep getting on my nerves and I'm going to give you another kind of house to look after - one with lots of bars on the windows!”

:beardy: :D :thumbs:

Becky, extremely violent home invasion thriller, which plays like the gore drenched version of Home Alone. Probably in questionable taste, the way it puts young children in very violent situations but it caught me in the right mood after dealing with some annoying people at work.

It's about a sullen teenage girl who finds herself in a John McClane situation when her family home gets taken over by Neo-Nazi convicts, who've escaped prison. I've read complains that the heroine isn't very sympathetic but I think the point is that Becky is a baby sociopath, which is what makes her so ruthless. I liked that she's not played by some ”teenager“ who looks like they are in their 20s, she really is a little girl dispatching villains in gruesome ways.

The film skirts around the Neo-Nazi issue to a degree where it wouldn’t have made any difference had they been regular thugs, so that didn’t quite work for me, but otherwise it was good, unclean fun.

Really enjoyed it, wasn't expecting it to be quite so, uh, visceral :eek:

Lulu Wilson was excellent, and Kevin James certainly gave it a good shot.

Love & Monsters - the first half at any rate, seems like it's aimed at 9-year olds, it's like Labyrinth but with boring actors and more sunshine and no labyrinth.

Kadaver (or Cadaver as Netflix lists it). A post-nuclear war dystopian near future horror-thriller in which the struggling, hungry survivals of a town are invited to a lavish immersive theatre show at a nearby posh hotel, but not all is what it seems.

You see the plot coming a mile off, and mostly guess what's going to happen next- yet I found the film enjoyable and satisfying. 6/10

Also,, not a film per se but I would urge anyone who loves iconic 1980s films such as The Goonies, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters and so on (so anyone who has a pulse and is not a wrong’un imo), to watch Reunited Apart on YouTube.

It is basically a six-episode Zoom chat, each featuring most if not all of the surviving principal cast members of such films, plus special guests such as the likes of Stephen Spielberg and others. And it’s a Covid fundraiser for added kudos.

I know celebrity live video conference programmes are not a new thing, but this one is by far the best of the kind I have seen. Some episodes are better than others but the lesser good ones are still very good, and the better ones are absurdly enjoyable. For me the greatest two were those featuring The Goonies, and The Lord of the Rings, which by their own admission is a bit of a cheat as it’s not 1980s, but so fucking good you don’t care.

Watched the Beatles Hard Days Night (again...saw it years ago). Still a fun and entertaining watch
What amazes me is:
This was filmed in 1964 - average age of the band members was 22 years old
The Beatles split up in 1970 just six years later, with average aged of the band members as 28 years old
Incredible to me how young they were, how much music they made in such a short period, but more so how much their style and thinking changed in such a short period. The transforming power of lsd frankly.

We’ve just discovered Barry, an HBO dark action comedy-drama series about a reluctant hit man trying to quit and live a normal live but being unable to through various unwanted entanglements with assassins, mafias and the likes. Written, directed and starred by Bill Harder.

You know what? It’s actually really fucking good. Finishing S1 now and really enjoying it. Recommended.

Maybe because it's in part about a political campaign, but I rewatched Robert Altman's Nashville after not having seen it in a couple of decades. It blew me away how great it still is, the best film ever starring a large ensemble of actors. The 70s really was the best decade for US movies.

0D6E335B-522C-43A9-97F6-8CC2C5AE479F.jpeg

Reactions: Sue
Cinemas are closed, so Leeds Film Festival has gone online. This is the first film I saw:
And Tomorrow the Entire World. Nailbiting thriller about an antifascist activist collective at odds with each other over violent action against Nazis. 4 hippies playing bongos out of 5

The History of Time Travel

Excellent little documentary, even though it's mostly covered by scientists who weren't actually part of the project. Unsurprising I guess. Still very good though. Takes 15 minutes to get into its stride, but once it does, pay close attention!

E2A oops, meant to out this in the Amazon thread. So, er, it's on Prime

Anne at 13,000 Feet
Tense and excruciating drama about a young woman unravelling after she's thrilled by a parachute jump. 2 horribly awkward faux-pas out of 5
and here the problem with watching at home as opposed to on the big screen has become apparent - it's one of those films that is hard to watch as it's all about a volatile person having a breakdown and behaving rashly and inappropriately - I found it so torturous that it took me a few goes to watch it, despite it only lasting 75 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom