Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

I find Herzog amusing in interviews, but I find him irritating as a film-maker even in his documentaries. His follow up to Little Dieter... was Wings of Hope about Juliane Koepcke, who was the only survivor of a plane crash and who had to survive in the Amazon rainforest for a couple of weeks, coping with various nasty critters. It's one of these stories you wouldn't believe if it wasn't true. She struck me as an extraordinary character, very intelligent and analytical, not very emotional. But Herzog tried the entire time to manipulate her into becoming emotional, which she resisted. It really got on my nerves. He always imposes himself on his subject matter.

I just had a look through my hard drive to see if I had any screen grabs, and the only one I could find was of The Baleinator dribbling into grass, which does not bode well.

HONK095rescuedawn.jpg

Lean On Pete, which is a film I've been meaning to watch for ages because I love almost everything Andrew Haigh has done (only his first film Greek Pete is a dud).

This was one of those cases of movie-synchronicity, where two films with very similar subject matter came out at the same time. The other film was The Rider by Chloé Zhao, which got more attention, possibly because the hook was that it was a real story where the people who had experienced it, all played themselves. I preferred Lean on Pete though, which I found more involving and by the end, tremendously moving.

After Waves this is the second film in a row I've watched about boys who are failed by their father and the importance of kindness. Both had me in tears.

Really loved the novel . . . which means I'm a bit wary of checking out the film. I don't want to be disappointed.

Indiscreet - what Reno said, just wonderful being in the present of Grant and Bergman.

Bite the Bullet - Late period (early C20th) western, Gene Hackman and James Coburn are two competitors in a long distance horse race, lots of nice little touches and themes raised. Really rather good.

Count Three and Prey - Solider, and former hellralser, back from the US civil war struggles with his attempt to become a preacher. Interesting period film from the 50s, with views of civil war and religion that part of that sort of 'progressive' Hollywood 50s vibe. Also noticeable as Joanne Woodward's first film and an appearance by Raymond Barr.

Banshee. An action/ thriller TV series about a just-released con who through unforeseen circumstances assumes the identity of an incoming new town sheriff who is killed in front of him. Half way through S1 and as an action series is pretty good, actually.

Shotgun - After a couple of rather good western's got an absolute dud. Uninspired, by the numbers cliched nonsense. Not even Sterling Hayden can save it.

The Long Hot Summer - Not seen this before, more interesting for the cast it boasts (Newman, Remick, Lansbury, Welles, Woodward) than anything else really. OK but there are probably better southern drama's out there.

I Married a Witch - The wonderful Veronica Lake is a witch who falls in love with the descendant of the man who's family she cursed 270 years before. Lake steals the show and is absolutely great, unfortunately, Fredric March as the make lead does not really play off her effectively enough and the script is little flabby in places to make a really good film. Still it's an enjoyable 80 minutes of Lake being great and that's still pretty good.

I'm rewatching Horace and Pete
It's a true work of art
I cry so many times, I mean we don't know what will happen, he is bound to get more opportunities and he is too good (and rich, connected etc) to not make any more ambitious stuff, but that is Louis CK at his absolute best proving why He was number one, it's cynical and nihilistic and also incredibly sweet and self aware.
It's got death, loneliness, selfishness, illness, madness, the lot.

edit: it's much better second time around knowing how tragic it is, and also I suppose the dynamic of him owning a dark thing that he didn't ask for but can't get rid of in the context of him becoming world famous for being 'not a criminal, but a bit dodgy'

Last edited:
Nope. But you shouldn’t be labouring under the misapprehension that he’s not a criminal and piece of shit of a human being either. Dunno how you can watch that after knowing what he’s done

I was just saying that I really loved the show.
I also enjoy Elvis and Michael Jackson

It's beautifully shot and acted. It's an amazing piece of art.
Alan Alda, Edie Falco, Jessica Lange, Steve Buscemi and Louis CK are the main actors, they all do an incredible job. There is a supporting cast of great actors in their life, and it's punctuated by Kurt Metzger, Stephen Wright and a bunch of other stand up comics and New York actors as the barflies.
It makes me cry because it's all about this darkness that exists within families and this shame and love that we have. And they are all just so lost and alone, there are no simple answers and everything is falling to pieces around them. They have arrived at middle age and have not managed to escape themselves, it's a sort of Waiting for Godot thing where they are free from illusion and find companionship clinging onto this rotten thing. It keeps seeming to come together but of course it never does, and I won't ruin the end but it is tragic in the true sense of the word.
It hits on so many themes in a way that is directly relevant to my life, I absolutely loved it and it makes me tear up just thinking about the final episode which I haven't seen yet this time around where it all resolves itself

Picked up Winged Migration for 50p at a charity shop :) have seem before but lost/lent my dvd. Seems like a good calming thing to watch.

A Touch of Sin - fantastic. Film made up of four short stories about the Chinese 'economic boom', violence and anger, relationships and nature of changing society themes running through all. It looks absolutely great too, making the locations exist as sort of deserts, often few people about, blasted by elements (physical and human), a contrast between nature and man-made structures. Really excellent.

No Way to Treat a Lady, thriller/black comedy from 1968. I remember liking this as a kid but I found the film insufferable this time round. It's mainly a showcase for Rod Steiger to overact like mad as a serial killer of middle aged women. He visits each of his victims in a different disguise, I suppose to show off his range, all dialled up to 11. Steiger probably was the hammiest of actors to ever grace the screen and he sucks the air from the film. Lee Remick tries her best in an early version of a manic pixie dream girl (cookie mod-chick back then) and Eileen Heckard is almost as overbearing as Steiger as the broadest of Jewish mother caricatures. Only George Segal as her son and the detective on the case gives a performance which resembles an actual human being. Overall, rather grating.

Last edited:
A Kiss Before Dying - Not in the top division of film noirs IMO but still pretty good and interesting. The first half of the film with Robert Wagner planning murder (practicing for real life?) is better than the second investigation half of the movie. Wagner is nicely sinister and Woodward makes what could be a pretty weak part (doomed heroine) into something stronger, Jeffery Hunter is not particularly convincing as pipe smoking young detective, who just coincidentally acts as a student mentor for Woodward.

Wild River - Very enjoyable and really interesting film by Elia Kazan (he may have been a lousy stoolie but he could direct), the type of film that they really don't make nowadays. Plot is Montgomery Clift is the government man come to rural Tennessee to move a old woman off her land in order so a dam can be built, while there her falls in love the old woman's granddaughter, played by Leigh Remick. What strikes you is the attitude of the film to government, while the old woman is sympathised with Clift is very much the hero, the dam will be a good thing and does need to be built. In any sort of modern version you'd have the opposite view, with the sympathy lying with the 'common people' being forced out of their home by the government. Clift and Remick are very good and while the overall tone of the film is pro-government most characters are well drawn enough that you can relate and empathise with them. There's good relationship created between Clift and another man that has proposed marriage to Remick's character, with avoids the typical cliches. Well worth checking out if you are in the mood for a Hollywood classic.

Back
Top Bottom