Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

I tried Primer but nodded off for a minute and completely lost the plot. :D

Needed a break last night and watched Ip Man 2. It's not as good as Ip Man.

Under the Silver Lake
A very engrossing if meandering noir stoner film which when it ends you think what was that all about? Remimded mea bit of Donnie Darko, never the less I'd reccomend it, its fascinating ,even though its a case of the journey being better than the destination.

Maybe not everything but trying to do most.

Been really bad at watching films since I came back to the UK. In Australia I was a member of the Melbourne Cinematheque which was great and I tried to keep up with their programme when I came back to the UK but just have just lacked the commitment. Likewise I tried to make it to the Tuesday showings at the Hype Park Picture House (when it was open) but often finish work late on Tuesday's so that didn't help. Barely went to the cinema last year.

With the way that MUBI's been set up and working from home (so no commute) I've been able to get back to watching more films.

Next few days on MUBI look ace anyway - Primer (which I've never seen), Un Flic (not quite top draw Melville but some amazing set pieces, plus the ice-cool, if fascist shit, Delon), Losey, Coffee and Cigarettes, Southland Tales (which I know is meant to be crap but I'm interested in seeing) and a Źuławski (I've have a certain fondness for Possession).
The stuff that's on there at the moment is pretty good; sometimes it's not so much. Saying that, I reckon it's well worth it if there are even three or four things a month that are decent and Mubi Go is very good. (I've been a member for a long time so am locked into a very cheap deal so :thumbs:)

Under the Silver Lake
A very engrossing if meandering noir stoner film which when it ends you think what was that all about? Remimded mea bit of Donnie Darko, never the less I'd reccomend it, its fascinating ,even though its a case of the journey being better than the destination.
I thought it really wasn't very good. Disappointed as I really liked It Follows.

Prevenge - quite good dark comedy horror flick directed by and starring Alice Lowe (Sightseers, Sometimes, Always, Never) as a mum to be who's commanded to go an a series of revenge killings by her unborn child. It's not as strong as Sightseers but there are some good moments, and the "baby" is great.

Hide and Seek - Four people decide to go off and live together, trying to isolate themselves from the world and form relationships between the each of them. It's not terrible but there's the characters are not really drawn well enough, it all feels a bit artificial (and not in a good way), you don't know why these people would do this, is it some art experiment or what? Lack of exposition is not necessarily a bad thing (as illustrated by the film below) but you need something to drive the film. It's not often I say this but this is actually a film that could do with being longer.

Primer - Had high expectations for this, Upstream Color is one of my favourite films of the last few years, and was worried it would not live up to them but it did. Absolutely fantastic, Shane Carruth must be one of the most exciting film makers out there at the moment. For all the time travel trickery the real core of the film is just that it is wonderfully made, some directors might get lost in the mathematics of the time travel but while these are worked out, Carruth does not lose sight of the fact that a film needs more than that. This has great dialogue, strong characters and is at its must fundamental level is deeply moving (all traits that Upstream Color shares). Wonderful.

Logan. I thought this was fantastic, bleak and tender and emotionally realistic while also being full of bone-crunching, desperate violence.

Watched the first series of Brassic today on a whim and ended up loving it. The first five episodes at least - wtf was that finale supposed to be? :facepalm: Initially struck me as a mix of Shameless and the Young Offenders, but I fear it's gonna be some Ideal gangster shit from here on.

Watched the first series of Brassic today on a whim and ended up loving it. The first five episodes at least - wtf was that finale supposed to be? :facepalm: Initially struck me as a mix of Shameless and the Young Offenders, but I fear it's gonna be some Ideal gangster shit from here on.
Iis brill isnt it , second series begins next month.

Once Upon a Time in London. A fairly terrible film showing the rise and fall of the gangsters of ww2 london, the generation before the krays. Its not great but I was tempted in by the 'once upon a time' bit in the title. One day I'll see all of the films titled so, I note netflix also has 'once upon a time in mumbai' which can't be worse than london...

Ready or Not. A thoroughly enjoyable and watchable horror-comedy. Just what the doctor ordered for a Saturday night. One of the best in that sub-genre I’ve seen in a long time. Worth the £4.95 rent price if you’re stuck for things to watch.

Aniara - story of a shuttle to a Mars colony because the Earth is buggered. The ship gets damaged by space debris and makes a course correction and has to dump it's nuclear fuel. Then it drifts further and further away from the solar system and everyone eventually dies. Unusual but not that bad. The ship arrives at the nearest habitable planet about five million years later. On Amazon.

A strange one - often meet this oldish fella when we are walking the dog late at night. big and bearded and very well spoken - he has that intellectual angle, but a decent chap. Found out he was a director in a previous life - this is one of his works above - he is Polish. I think its on you tube but will find out and link it. It might be OK . report back if you can find the time to chew it over.

Film Stars Dont Die In Liverpool - about the last couple of years of the marvellous Gloria Grahame's life. Annette Benning is excellent as GG and Jamie Bell pretty good as Peter. Otherwise, its just an okay biopic, usual story of a tragic ending that came all too soon. Omits almost any discussion of the event(s) that ended her career, which you can half understand even if it does help make some sense of what is happening at the time. the most surprising thing about it is that Julie Walters doesn't get the title as a line at the end of the film.

Un Flic - mrsb had never seen a Melville and it was its last day on mubi, so watch it we did. Far from his finest, it's still well worth seeing Alain Delon taking on a master criminal in a rather misanthropic piece. A couple of great set pieces, and Catherine Deneuve.

Chloe - Atom Egoyan remakes a french erotic thriller in his only film that he didn't write himself. A woman suspects her husband of having affairs so pays a sex worker to go and seduce him - with unexpected consequences! Maybe that's why the opening is not great, the middle only a tad improved, and the ending pretty rubbish. Or maybe it was because Liam Neeson had to take a break from shooting because Natasha Richardson had just had her skiing accident. And came back to finish shooting just after she'd died. Worth watching only if you want to see Amanda Seyfried (as the titular character) talking dirty.

The Gentlemen. I know Guy Ritchie is very Marmite, even more so around these boards I’ve always thought, but it really is rather good. One of his best work IMO.

Southland Tales - Richard Kelly's follow up to Donnie Darko, it is not a good film. The story and plot are messy, few characters well drawn and has some rather bad filming and performances. That said it is not totally without interest, the politics are superficial but there are some echos to the present and there is some attempt at vision in there. With a good editor + producer and better cast this might have been a decent movie.

Detention - based on Reno's recommendation. I don't think I rate it quite as highly as he does but it is tremendous fun and while it teeters on the edge of annoying up-its-own-arseiness for me it never quite went over.

Coffee and Cigarettes - never quite got the Jarmusch love that some have. And this movie sums up the feelings I have with a lot of his films bits of genuine intelligence and humour but an awful lot of self-satisfied bollocks. A collection of shorts of people discussing things over coffee and cigarettes there are more misses than hits.

Orpheline - French film about the life of a women at four different ages. Despite a decent cast - Gemma Arterton, Adéle Exarchopoulos, Adéle Haenel - it never really got going for me. The central message of the story is hammered home pretty bluntly. It might not have helped that the subtitles I had weren't great. Also I'm not sure that the casting was quite on, while the teenager version of the main character resembles a younger Adéle Exarchopoulos strongly, I don't think either of them particularly look like Adéle Haenel (who is hardly much older than Adéle E anyway), it took me a while to work out that both the Adele's were playing the same character.

Southland Tales - Richard Kelly's follow up to Donnie Darko, it is not a good film. The story and plot are messy, few characters well drawn and has some rather bad filming and performances. That said it is not totally without interest, the politics are superficial but there are some echos to the present and there is some attempt at vision in there. With a good editor + producer and better cast this might have been a decent movie.
I was never a fan of Donnie Darko,it always felt like a film trying to impress 15 year olds with its ohh so deep man philosophy. And as I have a real philosophy degree, I looked down my nose at it.

every now and then I do realise that that is snobby bullshit and I should give it/Kelly another chance. 40 minutes into this I remember that the follow up to DD was actually Domino, and this is as shit as that was.

I was never a fan of Donnie Darko,it always felt like a film trying to impress 15 year olds with its ohh so deep man philosophy. And as I have a real philosophy degree, I looked down my nose at it.

every now and then I do realise that that is snobby bullshit and I should give it/Kelly another chance. 40 minutes into this I remember that the follow up to DD was actually Domino, and this is as shit as that was.
He got hired to write the screenplay for Domino which very much ended up being a Tony Scott film, so it's not quite fair to regard it as a film of his. Southland Tales is a notorious overreach of a sophomore film though, I didn't know wtf was going on and I'm not sure I ever made it to the end.

He got hired to write the screenplay for Domino which very much ended up being a Tony Scott film, so it's not quite fair to regard it as a film of his. Southland Tales is a notorious overreach of a sophomore film though, I didn't know wtf was going on and I'm not sure I ever made it to the end.
Gawd, I knew RK didnt direct it, but had forgotten it was Tony Scott who did. Not one of his best, and probably not his worst tho I hope never to find out.

It remained on (for another two fucking hours!) which gave me almost enough time to re-organise my CD collection.

cds.jpg

Now I just have to work out where to put my 107 Julian Cope CD's.

BTW Reno do you have any suggestions about where to start with Yūzō Kawashima films?

My Film Studies classmate at Uni was a fan of Kawashima, I remember him getting us to watch Burden of Love and Sun in the Last Days of the Shogunate, which are prob the director's most famous films and well regarded. I never really clicked with Japanese film generally, but both of those were def watchable.

The same classmate became something of an authority on another Japanese director, Yasujiro Ozu, travelling to Japan several times to research articles and books.

If you're interested in Ozu, his most famous film is Tokyo Story, and that is genuinely a great film.

There were a few Ozu films on Mubi last year including Tokyo Story. Good Morning was my favourite though.

1*ajQH9Dmks7wBUNl89Mw02w.png

Back
Top Bottom