Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

I will always be very fond of this film.
I have to watch that once a year. This was for me what Star Wars was for other kids. In the middle of my teenage drama I happily would have gotten on that space ship and get out of here. The special effects sequences were offset against a human dimension which Star Wars lacked. It was just as much of a brilliantly acted drama about a man's mental breakdown and his disintegrating marriage as it was about alien encounters.

Sweeney Todd, probably the only good film Tim Burton has made in the last couple of decades and even Depp manages not to be irritating. That's because they had one of the best musicals ever written to work with and Burton doesn't fuck it up. What I like about it is that Burton really went for it and he genuinely turns it into a horror film. The scene where victim after victim drops through the trap door, always on their head, is truly wince inducing and no less so for being set to one of Sondheim's most beautiful tunes.

I have to watch that once a year. This was for me what Star Wars was for other kids. In the middle of my teenage drama I happily would have gotten on that space ship and get out of here. The special effects sequences were offset against a human dimension which Star Wars lacked. It was just as much of a brilliantly acted drama about a man's mental breakdown and his disintegrating marriage as it was about alien encounters.

That is one of the striking things in the film, the apparent chasing of an idea, a dream, with the accompanying rejection (or refusal to acknowledge) by wider society and immediate family. What is madness? Outside or inside, a necessary facet of being human? Is being a child the true madness - that of innocence?

That is one of the striking things in the film, the apparent chasing of an idea, a dream, with the accompanying rejection (or refusal to acknowledge) by wider society and immediate family. What is madness? Outside or inside, a necessary facet of being human? Is being a child the true madness - that of innocence?

In this case what appears to be madness really does turn out to be aliens communicating. Not quite sure what that has to do with being a child or with innocence though.

Was it a bit of a let down?

I didn't have any expectations before seeing it, although I was aware the special effects had received some acclaim. Clooney was (as ever) playing Clooney, and you realise that something is terribly wrong when you don't care if the lead character survives.

Convenience (2015). British straight of video effort about two guys holding up an all-night garage and pretending to work there while they wait for the time-locked safe to open. One of those films where everyone who walks on screen is that guy/girl from that thing *checks IMDb*.

Kinda meh.

Certainly brought me down to earth with a bump :(

Watched The Taking of Pelham One Two Three last night; came for Robert Shaw, stayed for an unexpectedly great Walter Matthau (and Robert Shaw). Tame by today's standard of thrillers I guess but nicely plotted, paced and superbly acted. And obviously written by a real NY subway geek :D
Fantastic film (with one of the all time great endings), however there is never anything unexpected about Walter Matthau's greatness. I recently watched A New Leaf again, one of the great 70s comedies and he is pure genius in it.

Fantastic film (with one of the all time great endings), however there is never anything unexpected about Walter Matthau's greatness. I recently watched A New Leaf again, one of the great 70s comedies and he is pure genius in it.

I've clearly seen precious little Matthau, had always attributed him to fluff comedies but I was clearly under a severe misapprehension. Now I'm tasked with the arduousness of continuing my Robert Shaw mini-marathon and sourcing some Walter Matthau! (Should I be putting this in the First-World Problems thread?) A mate of mine expressed much the same sentiment as yourself and has just demanded I take his Charley Varrick DVD off his hands.

Yup, ending was brilliant. Shaw's exit was brilliantly executed (arf), utterly understated and perfectly in character. Matthau coming back through the door in the final frame with that look on his face was worthy of Columbo :cool: Oh yeah, and the soundtrack did indeed kick arse. Damnit US, why can't you have another 1970's cinema :mad:

Back
Top Bottom