Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

(I haven't read the book
its a lot harsher in certain scenes. It does what it says on the tin really, there is a massively annoying tapeworm running through the whole book as well. As literary affectations go that device was fucking annoying.

I didn't think the film did the book service although it was good

Michael Strogoff a French/Swiss/German adaptation of the Jules Verne novel. Remember watching it on BBC2 in the early 80's. The image of him being blinded by a hot sword was really vivid. So I watched it for that.

"Hush", a women-in-peril home invasion thriller along the lines of the Audrey Hepburn starring Wait Until Dark, but with a deaf potential victim, rather than a blind one. Doesn't do anything particularely new, but it's fairly tense, with a resourceful heroine and it doesn't outstay its welcome at 80 minutes.

First two episodes of Game of Thrones Season 5.

The bad ended happily, and the good unhappily.

As per usual.

I'm liking Brienne's new "who gives a fuck" approach to being a swordswoman, though.

^ Did that too - and stayed on to watch BRONSON after for a full evening's Tom Hardying. Liked both films very much though I was *slightly* less impressed with Locke than everyone else - sure, he's great in it, apart from the bits where the Welsh accent goes a bit wobbly :p - and it does hold your interest throughout, but really there's no reason for this to be a film at all (apart from looking at Tom Hardy's beautiful face for ages of course) ... it's a radio play really. Just doing it as a film seemed a bit of a stunt - "look, we can have a film with one actor in a car all the time, just because we can, and you'll still watch it!" - like that movie with some Ryan or other buried underground in a box for the whole thing.

BRONSON I liked better - I might be turning into a full on Nicholas Winding Refn fan at this rate. The approach of dressing it all up as grandiose fantasy with all the opera soundtrack, outbreaks of mime, lots of absurdist humour and energetic fighting etc, does pretty well I think. I worry that I might have a bit of a sense of humour in common with Bronson and Refn, which is worrying 'cos one's a life prisoner and the other recently pilloried for (ill advised attempts at) joking about being a Nazi :eek::eek:

^ Did that too - and stayed on to watch BRONSON after for a full evening's Tom Hardying. Liked both films very much though I was *slightly* less impressed with Locke than everyone else - sure, he's great in it, apart from the bits where the Welsh accent goes a bit wobbly :p - and it does hold your interest throughout, but really there's no reason for this to be a film at all (apart from looking at Tom Hardy's beautiful face for ages of course) ... it's a radio play really. Just doing it as a film seemed a bit of a stunt - "look, we can have a film with one actor in a car all the time, just because we can, and you'll still watch it!" - like that movie with some Ryan or other buried underground in a box for the whole thing.

BRONSON I liked better - I might be turning into a full on Nicholas Winding Refn fan at this rate. The approach of dressing it all up as grandiose fantasy with all the opera soundtrack, outbreaks of mime, lots of absurdist humour and energetic fighting etc, does pretty well I think. I worry that I might have a bit of a sense of humour in common with Bronson and Refn, which is worrying 'cos one's a life prisoner and the other recently pilloried for (ill advised attempts at) joking about being a Nazi :eek::eek:
I like your point about the radio play but I thought it was a good cinematic experiment. I'm dead against blockbusters and CGI and the whole nonsense cartoonery of modern Hollywood and this was a really lovely, quiet film. I loved the sense of quiet personal honour of the central character.

'Bronson' was top-notch too and I like the fact that it had no message, no point, no purpose, other than to present a slice of a very strange life.

Surely you are thinking of that other controversial Danish film director Lars Von Trier?

Kajaki

group of british soldiers get trapped in a minefield. Good film 8/10. I liked the set up, no real cheese to it just showing a sort of easy sweary professionalism rather than conscripts sharing photos of the girl back home etc.
reminded me that landmines aren't designed to kill and how rank that is.

That's the most tense film I've seen in recent years. Thought it was excellent.

I agree with this^. Really good film.
yeah tense is deffo the right word here

what I mean about the sense of causual workmanlike behaviour is how it took me a little while to clock the command structure- who was officer, who was sgnt who was medic. None of this gung-ho hoo rah stuff like from a big hollywood war film. I spent the whole time thinking 'they're fucked if enemy shows up' and expecting it to happen. Had to look away at some of the torniquet bits, just grim. Oh and another thing that I liked spread of brit accents within the unit(s). Reflects the modern army etc- as does the chaos and fuck ups of landing a chinook in a minefield for medical evacuation.

Tried to watch Grabbers afterwards but was not in the comedic mood after the previous film :D will revisit

as part of my quest to work my way through netflix reccomendations I watched 'Down Terrace'. I'd spotted it in the list of 'suggested for j' thingy before but dismissed it as sub-par football aggro nonsense cos of the title. Its not, its actually a decent little crime flick. Tiny cast, nice locations, some good performances. One thing that didn't do it for me was the bit at the end where his fiancee
does that murder. its just theres been no indication she was part of the life till then

overall though, strong. a 6/10

End of Season 2 of Better Call Saul. Very good, like the rest of the season.

Been battering Season 2 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I loves it/

More GoT. Reached the Blood Wedding episode. I knew such an event was coming up, but was expecting it to happen at a different wedding. Definitely up there with one of the most shocking telly episodes I've seen and I'm not sure why this series has a lower BBFC rating than the others... Really enjoying GoT now, my previous opinion being it was *just* good enough to make me keep watching.

Back
Top Bottom