Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

I've been watching Luther (and staying up to watch more episodes on Thursday made me VERY tired at work the next day!) For some reason, despite the fact that I love crime dramas and think Idris Elba is as cool as his name sounds, I haven't seen this previously. It's very good, but not great.

I'm on to series two, so Superintendent Pauline Fowler is thankfully in the bin, replaced by the clock-dodging polygamist from Jonathan Creek. Not sure I'm gonna enjoy it as much now that random crime-sprees of the week have seemingly been swapped out for further tales of Luther and the Mimi Gallagher crimegang, but there aren't that many episodes, so it's getting watched to fuck.

Sicaro
Ok thriller. Billed as Emily Blunts 'career defining performance'. I hope it isn't because the role wasn't very empowering.

Bit of Fantastic Four (2015 version)
By the numbers superhero stuff. Predictable all the way. Reg E. Cathey the only highlight for me.

I just watched The Martian. Didn't know anything about it before I started watching. Was hoping it'd be similar in feel to Moon but it wasn't as good.

Still, it was enjoyable enough. Very "rah, yeah, we rock" and I was expecting the commander to die at the end because that would fit perfectly with your usual story telling arc, but of course she didn't because it would have diluted the "rah, yeah, we rock" vibe.

Still, a fun enough way to spend a couple of hours.

I watched a Bollywood movie from 2003 called Kal Ho Na Ho. Cheesy, some quick fire dialogue and good comic acting in places. And then a sob fest after the two hour mark. I have watched one of the songs on you tube and all the comments are "I am crying watching this" - I completely get it now (it helps if the song has subtitles)

Good film though (if you like an emotional roller-coaster)

I watched a Bollywood movie from 2003 called Kal Ho Na Ho. Cheesy, some quick fire dialogue and good comic acting in places. And then a sob fest after the two hour mark. I have watched one of the songs on you tube and all the comments are "I am crying watching this" - I completely get it now (it helps if the song has subtitles)

Good film though (if you like an emotional roller-coaster)

It was shit.

Mad Max : Fury Road

Gosh, I wish I'd gone to see that in the cinema. Not that it didn't still work at home, but once it got after 10 or so I didn't want to have to keep doing the Hollywood Movie Volume Level Juggle.

I suppose I needn't have worried, it's not like the dialogue is in any way important to the movie. The spoken part of the script has to be 10 pages, maximum. Doesn't matter, it's a wonderful turn-off-your-brains thrill ride whose worst offence is perhaps to be a little too intense at times. Possibly to not let the thinking part of your brain to have a chance to recover. Some people (the very large "Construction" section in the credits) had an awful lot of fun making this.

You know, if that moronic, overly-long Goblin King chase sequence in The Hobbit had been anything at all like MM it would've been a half decent film. The missus who doesn't like most action films approves. I think that's the first one since Dredd (also excellent).

Breathless - Korean drama that at first look seems to be about street thugs working for a loan shark but is a hard hitting unblinking look at domestic violence and its legacy. Not easy viewing but riveting all the same.

Future Shock - The Story of 2000AD - Loved the comic? Seeking behind the scenes thrills and intrigue? This is it; warts, Rosettes of Sirius and all.

Heroes Reborn - 2 eps in and not so sure. I like the Noah Bennet stuff and the computer game story but it's not as gripping as I hoped.

Sisters

A wholly by the book belated coming-of-age comedy that does nothing special at all, but is kept going by the smartness and wittiness of Tina Fey & Amy Poehler.

Justice League Unlimited, two series of. The things having no net connection will do to a man

But itt was a lot better than expected. Some right shit characters got a chance to shine in it and the a-listers were very different from the modern film/tv versions. Only the Flash is truest to his TV persona. Superman is actually a bit of a cock. Batman has a sly sense of humour. Wonderwoman is both backbone and commander. Even Lex comes off less shitty than in the newer films. No gene hackman mind

Oblivion - TC is ok in this but the female characters are let down by the script; which is a shame. The (Icelandic) scenery is magnificent and the drones are cool.

The Invitation, excellent new thriller which almost entirely takes place over the course of a dinner party. A bit of a slow burn, but none the worse for it, as it's all about accumulating detail and growing paranoia. Very well shot, great sound design, very tense and one of the better films I've seen recently.

Trailer here, though you may want to go in cold:

Last edited:
Natural Born Killers
Shite. Not sure I'd even give it two stars. Didn't like the actors, the script or the effects/techniques.

The Forbidden Room by Guy Maddin in his customary style, which looks like a film shot in 1931 in some bizarro parallel universe on a budget of $20. It's often clever, often funny, often beautiful but at two hours it rambles on for too long, like most of Maddin's films. Still great though and his films are like nothing else out there.

I also watched Emelie, a psycho thriller about a deranged babysitter who threatens the lives of three vaguely annoying children on their parent's anniversary. It was watchable enough but far from great, especially after the far better thriller I watched last night.

Last edited:
House of Cards season 2, lots of. Frank Underwood has connived, killed and slimed his way into the big chair :facepalm: just oce I want to see him take a fall

House of Cards season 2, lots of. Frank Underwood has connived, killed and slimed his way into the big chair :facepalm: just oce I want to see him take a fall
That's the reason why I think this series is massively overrated and I didn't stick with it beyond season 1. I like a good political drama with lots of intrigue, but I can only suspend my disbelief so far. Mr and Mrs Underwood are such a couple of obvious rotters from the first episode onwards, there isn't much surprise as they always the most devious route possible. I like my anti-heroes with a bit more shading. It's silly nonsense with the gloss of the modern prestige TV drama.

That's the reason why I think this series is massively overrated and I didn't stick with it beyond season 1. I like a good political drama with lots of intrigue, but I can only suspend my disbelief so far. Mr and Mrs Underwood are such a couple of obvious rotters from the first episode onwards, there isn't much surprise as they always the most devious route possible. I like my anti-heroes with a bit more shading. It's silly nonsense with the gloss of the modern prestige TV drama.
With the (very) honourable exception of the Wire, and (partially) Game of Thrones, all these "quality" US TV dramas are fantasies of power, and unrestrained power at that. Shading would involve at least some restraint.

Anyway, last DVD I watched was Nowhere Boy, the John Lennon biopic.

Alternative titles:

A Portrait of the Artist as Young Cunt

When Scousers ATTACK!

I nearly switched it off when I saw that Kristin Scott Thomas was in it as Lennon's aspirational Aunt Mimi. She's a great actress, but she always seems to pick the grimmest films. In this one, she seemed to have come out of an entirely different picture where she was playing the chief of the MI6 station in Vienna circa 1956.

Best thing about it was the set design: I found myself admiring the formica counter-top in one of the Blackpool scenes, which is probably not a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom