Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Diva- a French thriller from 1981, very unrealistic and a bit bizarre. A young postman is obsessed with a reclusive opera singer who has sworn never to make any records or allow her voice to be caught on tape. He secretly tapes one of her performances, and steals a garment from her but feels so guilty about this he turns up at her flat to return it (not mentioning the tape), and then befriends her.

Then things get really weird. Corrupt policemen, a league of Taiwanese record moguls trying to get hold of the tape. Our protagonist seeks refuge at his bohemian friends bachelor pad: a HUGE hangar-style studio flat with black-painted floors and walls where his pretty girlfriend rollerskates around a victorian bathtub on the floor:)hmm:), while the friend slices onions in a diving mask and talks about the zen-like satori of making the perfect baguette spread... It gets weirder.

Very early 80's colour palette: pastel vs. neon, dark rainy streets and villains lurking in the night, etc...
And then it develops into some sort of standard action plot at the end...

I don't know if I liked this film. But I felt compelled to watch it to the end, which means it must have made some sort of impact.
However, we started watching it at circa 2 AM last night, so my judgement could've been a bit off.

BUT. The ending was beautiful. I really liked that. The singer and our hero stand in an empty theatre, listening to the tape he made. Hearing her voice on tape for the first time scares her. He holds her, comforts her, and they dance a slow dance as the camera zooms out, they become smaller and smaller and all we can see is the theatre. The end :)

been watching season 6 of futurama finished it last night. really liked it, there were some funny episodes, way better than those movies they made.

case 39. normally anything with renee Zellweger in makes me want to shout at the tv but this was actuallly quite good. not as chilling or disturbing as the reviews i read suggested, but pretty acceptable sat night viewing :)

Youth In Revolt: Likeable comedy about teenage rebellion, and the intensity and madness of youthful desire. Michael Cera does that thing Michael Cera always does but at least backs it up this time with a second role as Francois Dillinger, his dweeby character's amusingly badass alter ego.

The Wanderers. Hadnt watched it for years & bizarrely it was the first time ms starfish had seen it. Excellent film with a brilliant soundtrack.

Lemmy...A great insight into a living legend. Amazing.

He really is that cool:cool:

Low points being the Metallica bits, but at least Bono wasn't in it.

Dogtooth...not read anything beforehand...difficult to watch although it went quickly, comical in parts, not what I'd usually choose to watch on Sunday afternoon but worth watching nevertheless.

Maya: I've seen that in the DVD racks a few times and almost bought it - if only because I was somewhat intrigued by the storyline! Perhaps I'll give it a whirl.

Last night I watched La Mala Educacion for the umpteenth time :)

Inception last week, which I quite liked, then this weekend: The Death of Mr. Lazarescu - it sounded so good on the cover/case, but wasn't all that; and Vicky Cristina Barcelona which I liked :D

Father of my Children - French film - a bit depressing tbf - (Mrs21's choice of film) about suicide and depression :(

Buried - Excellent I thought, ingenious premise and carried out well, 8/10
Rocknrolla - Not Ritchies best, but still good. Loved the russian hitmen :D 7/10

Inception, this time without an irritating friend yammering in my ear the whole fucking time.

Entertaining enough. I don't really care about the "mystery" ending, though, tbh.

Maya: I've seen that in the DVD racks a few times and almost bought it - if only because I was somewhat intrigued by the storyline! Perhaps I'll give it a whirl.
Ah, I'd hate to make you spend money on something that isn't worth it- :oops:
It must've been my midnight haziness-
not sure it was all that, just a standard "exciting" psychological thriller which comes across as all quaint and corny because of the slow pace and near expressionless (but pretty) french actors, plus the time period of course (the French must've entered the slick 80's phase very early- watching it I was sure it was from 1988, but the end credits clearly stated 1981, so cheesy pastels and burgeois fashion had already crystallised) Fun fact: that odd-looking bloke from Jeunet & Caro's City Of Lost Children/Delicatessen makes an appearance here as badass criminal asassin, dark sunglasses and all chasing after our hero in a video game arcade :D

The Last Remake of Beau Geste.....A few laughs, like a cross between a carry on film and Mel Brooks.

Only recently came out on Dvd and put to bed a bit of a childhood issue for me, first chance I've had to see it since my Dad took my brother to see it at the pictures. I didn't go because I hated him for going to work in Saudi and leaving us. I think I may have found it funnier as a 10 year old tbh

'Shine A Light', Martin Scorsese's Rolling Stones film. Alternately embarrassing (Mick), hilarious (Keith) and sometimes genuinely great (Ronnie's slide guitar on 'You Got The Silver', 'Brown Sugar') etc. I hope they tour once more before the inevitable happens. I've always had a great time whenever I've seen them.

Unstoppable - a friend of my mrs stressed at us to watch it because it'll have you on the edges of your seats the whole time!!!

Hmm. Most of it was about a train moving at 10mph. Crap.

Back
Top Bottom