Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Hawaii 5 O; new series. Very attractive scenery, ex Battlestar Galactica hotties and improbable cop fights and slaps. Marvellous.

Il Divo, Italian movie the incredibly corrupt ex (7 times!) Prime Minister Giulio Andreotti. Very stylish piece of film making.

Diva- a French thriller from 1981, very unrealistic and a bit bizarre. A young postman is obsessed with a reclusive opera singer who has sworn never to make any records or allow her voice to be caught on tape. He secretly tapes one of her performances, and steals a garment from her but feels so guilty about this he turns up at her flat to return it (not mentioning the tape), and then befriends her.

Then things get really weird. Corrupt policemen, a league of Taiwanese record moguls trying to get hold of the tape. Our protagonist seeks refuge at his bohemian friends bachelor pad: a HUGE hangar-style studio flat with black-painted floors and walls where his pretty girlfriend rollerskates around a victorian bathtub on the floor:)hmm:), while the friend slices onions in a diving mask and talks about the zen-like satori of making the perfect baguette spread... It gets weirder.

Very early 80's colour palette: pastel vs. neon, dark rainy streets and villains lurking in the night, etc...
And then it develops into some sort of standard action plot at the end...

I don't know if I liked this film. But I felt compelled to watch it to the end, which means it must have made some sort of impact.
However, we started watching it at circa 2 AM last night, so my judgement could've been a bit off.

BUT. The ending was beautiful. I really liked that. The singer and our hero stand in an empty theatre, listening to the tape he made. Hearing her voice on tape for the first time scares her. He holds her, comforts her, and they dance a slow dance as the camera zooms out, they become smaller and smaller and all we can see is the theatre. The end :)

I think I bizarrely have two copies of this on DVD. Never watched it though and now I don't have to.

I watched Shank.

Well. What can one say about the soaring ambition of this director? Not content with picking up grime themes as unintentionally parodied in the made-with-a-straight-face Kidulthood he has decided to set it in some post apocalyptic london shithole circa 2015. The search for food and the trade of food takes the place of a drug trade. The flashy jum-cut here slo-mo there style and show of guy ritchies films. A typical 'murdered brother to be avenged' plot.

Absolutely fucking awful. The best bits were entirely random interludes into cartoon or computer music videos. I didn't think the genre of 'overwrought faux-grit yoot dem ganstar' films was old enough to have spawned an embarrasing attempted sci fi/musical bloater yet. Apparently I was wrong.

I missed the ending of it but now I don't have to worry anymore. I prefer the follow up; Betty Blue. Lost count of how many times I've swooned over that film.

tis indeed so good.

Slightly embarassing whenever I see it tho, as I always recall the fact that after I raved about it to my then girlfriend years ago, she noticed it was on this exicting new thing called 'Sky' - so hse got her grandparents to tape it for her. being intrigued as to what there beloved grandchild wanted to see, they started watching. But didn't get beyond the first five minutes, unsuprisingly.

This weekend I indluged myself in:

Toy Story 3 - really quite brilliant, and almost touching.

Paranormal Activity - mrs b has wanted to see this for ages, so we watched it. Thankfully my expectations had already been massively lowered, so I didn't think it was too bad. A few decent moments that made us jump, but a fucking right copout of an ending. The bastards.

Gilda - still so fucking good. Just magnificent. And seemingly starring Julian Assange as a bit of a nazi. Tho at least he didn't rape anyone.

Oh, and (some of) Vive La Diva. Mostly shite, but with a pretty decent version of the ballet from The Red Shoes.

Rabbit Hole...Nicole Kidman, Araon Eckhart...couple coping with death of child in car accident. It's watchable and I do like a 90 minute film. I've read Kidman's performance is the one to win her an oscar but it seemed quite ordinary to me.

If anyone likes a good cry it comes highly recommended, my Mrs never cries at films and was blubbing her yoks out.

The Thing- reminds me of why I still rate carpenter.

'I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!' :cool:

'I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!' :cool:

that is a great film - Russell and Carpenter is a great combo imo

Fantastic film - we watched it about 3 weeks ago and I had forgotten just how good it is, especially the ensemble cast and the effects, though nearly 30 years old now, are still pretty cool and effective.

The first one I think. I like Assault.

I've got a soft spot for Escape from New York, and get the piss taken out of me for it, but I don't care. :cool:

Episodes - haven't made my mind up about it yet but it's better than Mangan's previous 2 vehicles; Dirk Gently and that one with the Irish girl...

Reefer Madness - The Musical, again. Still very funny, and reaised this time just how damn great a dancer Neve Campbell actually is.

And the first episode of Boardwalk Empire. Which was also pretty darn good

Back
Top Bottom