Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

another Madmen Marathon, watched 6 episodes season 2 (Mrs21 is ill so just wanted duvet and telly) it is a great show.

Letters from Iwo Jima. I haven't seen the companion film from the American point of view, but this was pretty good, with the baker's 'cowardice' rather than stupidity keeping him safe (one of his mates surrenders but then gets shot by cold hearted and indisciplined American troops who simply can't be bothered watching over him). In relation to that, though, I'm not sure if the portrayal of lemming-like fanaticism on the Japanese side is well done or moving into caricature territory.

A Town Called Panic. Expands the universe a bit from the shorts, and most of the action takes place out of the house. I would have never imagined that a town called panic could sustain a whole feature length movie but it does. It's relentless and it's bloody brilliant. There are many more movements in the characters which I wasn't so keen on but the general ramped up production levels didn't really ruin it. Awesome.

A Town Called Panic. Expands the universe a bit from the shorts, and most of the action takes place out of the house. I would have never imagined that a town called panic could sustain a whole feature length movie but it does. It's relentless and it's bloody brilliant. There are many more movements in the characters which I wasn't so keen on but the general ramped up production levels didn't really ruin it. Awesome.

yeah its a well good film, i love it.

i know what you mean, i watched it several times.

It's so odd, I mean it's not actually funny as such and there is no logical progression. It's just mad but not so that is incoherent. I was tittering away at it throughout and just didn't want it to end. The bonus for me this second time round is that I missed the end because someone phoned me up 5 minutes before it finished so I still have that to look forward to.

It's so odd, I mean it's not actually funny as such and there is no logical progression. It's just mad but not so that is incoherent. I was tittering away at it throughout and just didn't want it to end. The bonus for me this second time round is that I missed the end because someone phoned me up 5 minutes before it finished so I still have that to look forward to.

what is the farmer called stephen is it?

everytime they went to sleep they kept stealing the walls

Yeah Steven. Bit bigger than the original steven.
"Where are our walls?" Just cool how they never refereed to anyone steeling their entire house. I wanted to watch it with the wife but she has just gone for an hour long shower which has made me a bit sad.
The more I type the more I love this film.
There are other crazy things like this such as O' Mikey the japanese shorts that started on Vermillion Pleasure Night, but they are not really as entertaining.

Nowhere near as good.

"The Quantum of Solace" made more sense then when I saw it at the cinema, some good bits but let down by convoluted plotting and a couple of not very good performances.

I don't know yet, but the taglines on the cassette box filled me with anticipation of glee. A HBO films production about Stalin circa 1992. It will surely tick all the funny boxes. Or, it might suprise me and be good and accurate. The box doesn't promise that, it sort of suggests a lolfest of seriousness done badly by americans.

later this week I get to watch a VHS copy of Stalin with Robert Duval. Promises to be very funny.

lol.

You might like Andrei Konchalovsky's The Inner Circle. About a young projectionist who ends up working for Stalin at his private screening room in the Kremlin. Bob Hoskins plays Lavrenty Beria. That's two Soviet figures he's portrayed, the other being Nikita Khrushchev in that shite Stalingrad film Enemy at the Gates.

The Kids Are All Right.

Absoluitely cracking, much better than I was expecting (and I thought it would be good), a sharp n witty script, top notch performances, and not something we've seen a thousand times before.

Up which is far more moving than it has any right to be. At the start when he has knocked an employee over the head, a Suit, the Suit just wordlessly lays his hand on the mans fence. And I got unreasonably angry. Carries a lamp in daylight, really does.

The dogs are an inspired touch

I watched a movie called Un Prophete; muslim prisoners in French prison, and the outcomes.

Tapped: a documentary about bottled water that makes you realize what a bad idea it is.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. Tommy Lee Jones. I think this movie would be described as 'offbeat'.

Mojave Phone Booth. Good film. None of these are bad, actually.

I watched a film on film 4 last night called 'Far North' with Michelle Yeoh and Sean Bean-set in Norway, is the story of 2 nomadic women that live a very isolated life and what happens when they take in a hurt soldier and how it changes the dynamic of the two womens relationship.

Cinematically stunning,and hardly any dialougue. I thought it was very good and disturbing.

Reactions: Mab
Coup de Torchon. Its been on the shelf for ages, finally got round to watching it. I've read Pop 1280 already. Good movie - pretty funny.

I watched a film on film 4 last night called 'Far North' with Michelle Yeoh and Sean Bean-set in Norway, is the story of 2 nomadic women that live a very isolated life and what happens when they take in a hurt soldier and how it changes the dynamic of the two womens relationship.

Cinematically stunning,and hardly any dialougue. I thought it was very good and disturbing.

Without spoiling it; it really veered into some surprising places. Yes, quite a memorable film! Possibly not a date movie, mind.

Up which is far more moving than it has any right to be. At the start when he has knocked an employee over the head, a Suit, the Suit just wordlessly lays his hand on the mans fence. And I got unreasonably angry. Carries a lamp in daylight, really does.

The dogs are an inspired touch
It is an amazing film.
Last night: did you hear about the Morgans- better than expected and about all my brain could handle.
Tonight: the imagination of doctor parnassus- the jury is still out (the film is still on)

Back
Top Bottom