Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

re black swan ...

i read the other post about it after watching it and during the film i thought the coloured coded black and white motifs were really ridiculously overblown and amateurish. was there a deeper reason for this that i am missing?

Dead Silence! The usual evil ventriloquist dummy film. Probs not to everyones taste but i love a films like dis. Im a sucker fer evil dummies. Also have twin peaks on the back burner so maybe start on that tonite @L@

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Not as great as I'd hoped it would be, but enjoyable nonsense all the same. Michael Cera basically being Michael Cera, good supporting characters, great visuals (especially on Blu-Ray), and Chris Evans and Brandon Routh stealing their scenes and sending up their superhero pedigree.

Also, as lovely as Ramona is, did anyone else think he'd have been better off sticking with Knives Chau? :D

Girlfight: Michelle Rodriguez in her first film role as a tough female boxer mixing it up with the men at a rough 'n' ready Brooklyn gym. Not bad although it includes several over-used boxing film conventions (underdog overcoming the odds and a troubled home life, the climactic big fight etc). Rodriguez is the best thing about it - it's a shame she's never had the kind of success in Hollywood her talent and beauty deserves.

Song For A Raggy Boy. One man, fresh from fighting Franco's forces in the Spanish Civil War, takes a teaching job at an industrial school and has run ins with a psycho christian brother and his paedo minion, with tragic consequences. Fantastic little film even if the flashback scenes don't work well very. The english actors even do reasonably good jobs with the accents.

Reactions: Mab
The assasination of jesse james great film and great cast great soundtrack (or lack of) My new favourite film to fall asleep too. If yer need a kip this is the one ta watch!

Catfish...I'm not sure....it was okay but I didn't believe it happened as it was presented and didn't like Nev (which says Nev but is pronounced Neev:confused:). I got the feeling a lot of scenes were filmed afterwards to make sense of the story and I was irritated by his ridiculous grinning chops. It's worth watching, even though the ending is easy enough to guess ten minutes in it still raises a lot of questions throughout which is probably what saved it for me.

caught up on a few things last couple of days.

Kick Ass, again - still very very good indeed

Eagle Vs Shark - meh. One surprising moment but otherwise, quirky by numbers. Nice soundtrack tho

My Winnipeg - goddamn hilarious magnificence. ten minutes of 'wtf is going on? is it all going to be like this?' And then the absurdities roll in thick and fast. Quite wonderful.

And then, finally made to watch the first few episodes of Mongrels. Pure fucking genius, rolling about on the floor funny. Whyever had I not watched it before?

Sherlock Holmes - I wasn't expecting to like this (it's directed by Guy Ritchie FFS), but I did. Fast, funny, strong cast and soundtrack, plus it looks great. I've never liked Jude Law in anything ever but he's actually rather good as Watson while Robert Downey Jr makes a terrific Holmes.

scott pilgrim vs the world.
i was looking at the wikipedia entry to films considered to be the worst of all time ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_considered_the_worst ) and it divides these films into several categories including cult classics, star vehicles and bad comedies.
if i wasn't aware that this film was a critical and financial success, i'd stick it in the latter category.
it fails on every conceivable level. it's not funny. no one in it acts with any degree of conviction. it's directed so ineptly, with stilted, awkward acting and awful awful special effects that annoy rather than distract and do nothing but underline how woeful the material is.
it's pretty offensive to with crass racial stereotypes and callow sexism reminiscent of the 70s.
michael cera is a weird manchild with a squeaky voice who's somehow meant to represent everyman, when he's a selfish caddish shitweasel.
and the music, eungh, the music - it was hard to tell if any of the bands were supposed to be good or not, cos the music was just mediocre weedy indie shit.
AVOID!

scott pilgrim vs the world.
i was looking at the wikipedia entry to films considered to be the worst of all time ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_considered_the_worst ) and it divides these films into several categories including cult classics, star vehicles and bad comedies.
if i wasn't aware that this film was a critical and financial success, i'd stick it in the latter category.
it fails on every conceivable level. it's not funny. no one in it acts with any degree of conviction. it's directed so ineptly, with stilted, awkward acting and awful awful special effects that annoy rather than distract and do nothing but underline how woeful the material is.
it's pretty offensive to with crass racial stereotypes and callow sexism reminiscent of the 70s.
michael cera is a weird manchild with a squeaky voice who's somehow meant to represent everyman, when he's a selfish caddish shitweasel.
and the music, eungh, the music - it was hard to tell if any of the bands were supposed to be good or not, cos the music was just mediocre weedy indie shit.
AVOID!

Really?! Did you like Kick Ass? Comparable?

I was thinking they were kind of from the same mould. I wont stick it at the top of my to-watch list then :)

I was thinking they were kind of from the same mould. I wont stick it at the top of my to-watch list then :)

I think people just lazily lump them together because they're comic book films.

My 10 year old rates Scott Pilgrim in his top films and it's had repeat watches. I don't get it at all.

just finished watching death note it was pretty good not the best anime i have seen but still worth watching.

I saw the live action ones and thought it was pretty duff. The wife loves it though. She has just bought the entire manga set from some sort of Japanese gumtree and is currently spending all her evenings on it.

Paranormal Activity?

???
Was the idea supposed to be that I thought it was real? Great way to make a cheap film but it's a bit of a non event.

I saw the live action ones and thought it was pretty duff. The wife loves it though. She has just bought the entire manga set from some sort of Japanese gumtree and is currently spending all her evenings on it.

live action remakes are usually shit i dont see how they can condense 840 minutes in to three 90 minute films. the anime was good but none of the charactors were really that likeable. i have the live action films but i dont think i will actually watch them, dont see the point after watching the anime.

Back
Top Bottom