Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Yesterday ...American Werewolf in London and Bad Santa

Today...first 7 episodes of series 2 of Mad Men, just off to watch Micmacs. I've seen it thought it was great, recommended it to the little un so hoping he'll love it too.

I forgot it's quite complex but he liked the way it looked and the bits he understood.

Finished s2 Mad Men. It's good overall but I feel like it tries t cram too much in.

Shrek Forever After - I like the Shrek films; they're always funny and inventive. This is very short (barely 80 minutes) but still made me laugh a lot more than most recent comedies for adults have managed (The Hangover, Observe & Report etc).

'The Last Legion'

Which was absolute shite, but john hannah turned up in a toga AGAIN but as Nestor rather than Batiatus

Grizzly Man..........ffs :( :rolleyes:
Hot Tub Time Machine - excellent, got the 80's American film feel perfectly :D

Neverwhere – Just finished reading the Neil Gaiman novel so figured I should probably give the TV series a go, too.

Wow... very interesting. So a spirit lead you to a gravestone with your (full?) name on it. Then it left you a message on your window with the rain. That's freakin scary... I don't think any good is in the message.

A movie called Joyeux Noel, about the christmas eve truce during WW1 in the winter of 1914. It's interesting reading the reviews of the movie on rotten tomatoes. They break out into two camps: those who saw it as a reaffirmation of the human spirit, etc; and those who saw it as sentimental tripe.

The movie plays on sentimentality, but it's reassuring to know that its foundation lies in a factual event.

Reactions: Mab
Two good movies with lots to think about, but in different ways.

Les Miserables with Liam Neeson. I have to confess I didn't and don't know much of Victor Hugo's work; but it's interesting to consider the fact that Hugo is a national hero, and his work is so important to the French. It says much about the French character, about French ideals. One wonders what the similar works would be in other nations? You can see Russia having similar. What novels are informative of the British character. For the Germans what is it: Nietzsche?

The second movie was Inherit the Wind. Everyone especially in the US should consider watching this again, especially now in the days of the Tea Party and the Religious Right. It's a reminder that certain elements will never give up; that the same battles for individual rights and freedoms of thought and conscience have been fought before and will have to be fought again, and that it's foolish to think that it's ever ok to let our guard down.

Avatar - at times brilliant (mostly in the second half), at times frustrating and mediocre. I never really got my head around why the humans needed to put themselves into the avatars in the first place - it all seemed a bit confused and quickly glossed over.

Smokin Aces 2 what a lot of shit 1st one was good had story and Action but this.
I think the qlue was here it was going to be shit Vinnie Jones

Two good movies with lots to think about, but in different ways.

Les Miserables with Liam Neeson. I have to confess I didn't and don't know much of Victor Hugo's work; but it's interesting to consider the fact that Hugo is a national hero, and his work is so important to the French. It says much about the French character, about French ideals. One wonders what the similar works would be in other nations? You can see Russia having similar. What novels are informative of the British character. For the Germans what is it: Nietzsche?

More likely to be Goethe than Nietzsche surely.

It'd be Pushkin for Russia and perhaps William Blake for England?

Edit: Watched Gomorrah last night and it's excellent.

Still on iplayer for a few days yet.

More likely to be Goethe than Nietzsche surely.

It'd be Pushkin for Russia and perhaps William Blake for England?.

Thanks for that. It's nice when a film gives you something to chew on. So wrt Russia: not Dostoyevsky? And England, John Bunyan? or maybe that's too early. I wonder if 'letters' and 'men of letters' play a similarly prominent role in how different countries or cultures define themselves?

Thanks for that. It's nice when a film gives you something to chew on. So wrt Russia: not Dostoyevsky? And England, John Bunyan? or maybe that's too early.
Yes Bunyan is too early. 18th/19th century European Romanticism.
I wonder if 'letters' and 'men of letters' play a similarly prominent role in how different countries or cultures define themselves?
Also requires a high rate of literacy and the invention of the printing press.

Yes Bunyan is too early. 18th/19th century European Romanticism.

Also requires a high rate of literacy and the invention of the printing press.

I suppose it depends how much a nation's or culture's identity relates to or has an affinity with Romanticism. It seems to work for France, but with other places, it might be different writers, different philosophies. I should probably start a separate thread about this; we're sort of going away from the topic of films. :)

First four episodes of "they came from somewhere else"
1984 channel 4 sci-fi comedy. I haven't watched it since it was first shown (I don't think it was repeated or put on video anyway). I am surprised how much I remember. I fully understand why I felt let down by it when I was 11, but now as an adult I am full on loving it, even though I know what's going to happen.
I love the way it is filmed and the idea behind the whole thing, I wish there was more of this kind of thing rather than little Britain.

The Disappearance Of Alice Creed - twisty, turny British kidnap thriller with Gemma Arterton and Eddie Marsan. It kept me guessing and I enjoyed it a lot.

First four episodes of "they came from somewhere else"
1984 channel 4 sci-fi comedy. I haven't watched it since it was first shown (I don't think it was repeated or put on video anyway). I am surprised how much I remember. I fully understand why I felt let down by it when I was 11, but now as an adult I am full on loving it, even though I know what's going to happen.
I love the way it is filmed and the idea behind the whole thing, I wish there was more of this kind of thing rather than little Britain.

Why do you thınk the Goodıes have never been repeated?

wot i have wotched recently...

yesterday...
how to train a dragon. awesome. gonna watch it again in a bit.
youth in revolt. i think i may end up watching this film approximately 100 times before i die, except if i die tomoro, then it'll be 4 or 5.

a few days ago
black swan. didnt know nowt about it cept the synopsis on imdb. and i love aronofsky :oops: anyhoo cracker. need to watch it a few more times.

also watched despicable me, social network, scottie pilgrims and loads of other films that i can't remember at the moment.

all cracking too. lovin it! :D

Back
Top Bottom