Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What do your books say about you? Picture thread...

Here's mine, mostly books I've read in the last few years. The rest of them are in seemingly permanent storage :(

IMG_3022.jpg

Age of Extremes just visible.

bluestreak said:
spotted and approved: Q... probably one of the best novels ever writted.

I enjoyed it very much, but not as much as you, I think. That'll be going back to its owner chooch at some point, freeing up some valuable space.

54's there, too -- kind of saving that one up.

D.M.'s shelf

Middle row, grey back: "Artificial P..??", what does it say? looks interesting...
Italio Svevo, reminds me I've been meaning to look him up!
... Nice cd shelf!
...Yay Pynchon! ...Yay, anarchist something!
("Alamut" next to "The Rough Guide to Reggae" suggests some kind of Gibsonesque cyberpunk-fantasy dubtopian future...??)

I can see Age Of Extremes, it's behind the pictures on the shelf right under the uppermost shelf (sorry the bad english), a few books away from "english etymology" and "first names"... That Penguin coverdesign book looks tasty, innit? Leafed through it last week in the bookstore, really really beautiful cover art...

Crispy said:
I daren't count the Pratchett on my shelves :oops:

lol, got most of those, and the HPs

however, my biggest shame is a collection of Teilhard DeChardin and Tony Parsons (largely unread) :oops: :D

must get down the second hand bookshop

Dubversion

The reason I use Librarything is that it is a very quick and simple way of cataloging your books. If the book is already on their database you only have to put in part of the data and the program fills in the rest. You can accept or reject the suggestion or edit the data - for example the publishing date of your version of a book.

It is free to use up to about 500 books I think. I have gone over that so have paid up. It is not expensive. You can access your list from a mobile phone. I collect English Topography books and when in a secondhand bookshop can check a potential purchase against my list on my mobile. It works.

maya said:
Middle row, grey back: "Artificial P..??", what does it say? looks interesting...
Italio Svevo, reminds me I've been meaning to look him up!
... Nice cd shelf!
...Yay Pynchon! ...Yay, anarchist something!
("Alamut" next to "The Rough Guide to Reggae" suggests some kind of Gibsonesque cyberpunk-fantasy dubtopian future...??)

I can see Age Of Extremes, it's behind the pictures on the shelf right under the uppermost shelf (sorry the bad english), a few books away from "english etymology" and "first names"... That Penguin coverdesign book looks tasty, innit? Leafed through it last week in the bookstore, really really beautiful cover art...

That's Artificial Paradises, a really good Penguin anthology of writing on drugs -- Baudelaire and Hunter S among many others, alongside the usual quasimystical fuckmuppetry. I think it's o/p now. Granny Made Me An Anarchist, which I think a lot of people on here read when it came out, 's ok. Alamut is a 1930s Slovene novel about 11th Islamic suicide warriors, not read it yet. That Penguin book is a biography of the founder, it's great. Are you thinking about the other one that came out recently, Penguin By Design? There's some beautiful stuff in there, I'm reading a similar one called Penguin By Designers atm. Svevo's a great read. Not perfect, but very special :)

So, where's yer shelf?

Dirty Martini said:
So, where's yer shelf?
will get scanning tomorrow, but as the mess in front of the shelf will reveal, the rest of the flat is in a desperate state of neglect at the moment... so that's a bit embarrassing to show!*
(as with you, most of the books are in storage... and probably will continue to be, indefinitely... why is it always that you decide to read something, only to find that it's not in the shelf, but among the stowaway ones? ...it's like murphy's law or something! grrr)

*hope noone will go to the length of photoshopping in tiny red circles around all the various dustballs/piles of coursework/cd's/clothes etc...! :eek: :oops:

Dirty Martini said:
Here's mine, mostly books I've read in the last few years. The rest of them are in seemingly permanent storage :(

IMG_3022.jpg

i have those shelves & those cd shelves!

Dubversion said:
and i've just spotted the Bandini quartet in the top right which I bought on Sunday :cool:

I thought I read those on your recommendation... Anyway, they're cracking and definitely need to be reread, particularly Ask The Dust. I'd read the first one in that quartet last, it doesn't really set you up for Bandini, it's not really the same character.

Dirty Martini said:

IMG_3022.jpg

I can see Granny Made Me An Anarchist, an AM Homes book, Q, English Passengers, The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, A Fine Balance, Number9 Dream, The Fermata and somethign by WG Sebald, possibly Austerlitz - good work DM!

my 'to read' pile:
books6.jpg

my cook books:
books5.jpg

my book shelves:
books1.jpg

all art books on bottom 4 sections.
5 sections have novels double stacked.
1 section has graphic novels / large books
1 section has design books
1 section has photo albums
1 section has my house mates books on.

under the desk there are a few more books and some graphic novels

undershelf.jpg

here is another small shelf and my colection of old magazines in the other corner of the room but i couldn't be arsed to rig the lights

some bad photoshopping needed on main shelf

click for ridiculous big images

Orang Utan said:
I can see Granny Made Me An Anarchist, an AM Homes book, Q, English Passengers, The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, A Fine Balance, Number9 Dream, The Fermata and somethign by WG Sebald, possibly Austerlitz - good work DM!

Good spots, especially the Austerlitz. I love Sebald.

Orang Utan said:
I did expect more though!

I've got a lot more at my mum's house, in the loft, stuff I haven't seen for years. It's a real pain, there are some books there I really want to read again. I sold a lot too, I don't think I'd do that again, except guide books and crap like that...

I had a bookcase till about half hour ago...I had the same one as many on here I think....the Billy bookcase from Ikea for 15 pounds ! I also had a major book culling at the weekend and took about 50 books to my local hospice charity shop and maybe 3 times as many are being taken into work so that we have actual books in our new book case.

My choice in books looked rather like Crispys....I spotted on his shelves one of my faves...Tolstoy "Anna Karenina' (Sp?)...I took the plunge though and will be donating all of my Terry Pratchett books....even my signed copy of "intresting times' which I waited in line for over an hour to get .

Of the books that i have kept mostly are travel guides and reference books then a few novels by folk like Will Self, John Irving......and The ladies No 1 Detective agencey books ( love them).

My plan is to build bespoke shelves out of say...plywood and fit them flush against the wall. I have a small flat and need to employ space saving measures....

Oh yeah...my bookcase I smashed it up as after many house moves it had become very wobbly.

Back
Top Bottom