Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What do you think about retirement and when will you do it?

Just to clarify, this made me laugh, cause as far as having a career goes, I figure mine finished 5-6 years ago. I still do a job and do the same thing... I just don't really consider it a career as such anymore..
Yep, same here. I'm "semi retired" and work three days a week. I struggle to do 3 actual useful hours a "week".

I get unnecessarily pissed off by HR types trying to make me log my "career goals" and similar stuff when frankly I'm just hanging on in the hope that I'll get a redundancy payoff before I finally decide to throw the towel in.

Yep, same here. I'm "semi retired" and work three days a week. I struggle to do 3 actual useful hours a "week".

I get unnecessarily pissed off by HR types trying to make me log my "career goals" and similar stuff when frankly I'm just hanging on in the hope that I'll get a redundancy payoff before I finally decide to throw the towel in.
Might have posted this before I once wrote my annual objectives as follows

1. Complete April payroll accurately and on time
2. Complete May payroll accurately and on time
3. Complete June (you get the idea)

Apparently your objectives are not the same as your job !

thank you everyone, I’m not alone.
I filled the form in for my annual appraisal and struggled to think of 5 career goals…at the moment it’s to get to a position when I can retire without having a heart attack. @Elpenor’s assistance in particular has been invaluable. Fortunately, I could not find anyone that would own up to be my supervisor, so the appraisal never happened. Continuing to have no supervisor is another goal for the year to come.
24 years ago the company was 40 people in 5 offices, and low overheads. We’ve been taken over by a rapidly growing listed company and are several thousand..I'm not sure I like all this bureaucracy. I’ll get shit tomorrow for booking my own flights for work this week. I booked on Tuesday for a Wednesday morning flight. The approval process now takes 24 hours, and it would have required me calling a “supervisor” on the St. George’s day public holiday (we’re proper patriots here).

I think annual appraisals would be ok if they actually had the employee's career in mind, but really, they are just a stick to beat you with, to compare you/performance rank you against your peers so, if need be, you can be easily discarded/pushed out. At least that's what it was for where I worked. If it was done properly it wouldn't be something dreaded by managers and employees.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore.

Only 3 more years and I can get my pension! I'm not waiting until I'm 60, getting it as soon as possible.

I think annual appraisals would be ok if they actually had the employee's career in mind, but really, they are just a stick to beat you with, to compare you/performance rank you against your peers so, if need be, you can be easily discarded/pushed out. At least that's what it was for where I worked. If it was done properly it wouldn't be something dreaded by managers and employees.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore.

Only 3 more years and I can get my pension! I'm not waiting until I'm 60, getting it as soon as possible.
I'm hoping to keep this gig running for another 3 years too, I'd like one last big salvage job, which is difficult for the human remains department to organise....59,5 is when I can start drawing down my US savings account, which is the most complicated one I have for jurisdiction. I have a spreadsheet, just in case investment returns mean I can retire to Portugal early with 4x minimum wage.

Since I started paying bills. So about 20 or so and now most of my life. Its fucking shite. Retirement seems like some far off destination i can't afford the flights for let alone accommodation

Friday 31st May which is 20 working days away but there not ONE BUT TWO bank holidays in that period so only 18 days of not really working before I am a pensioner. Absolutely f*cking awesome. my contract end date was originally set for end of October and they wanted to bring it forward until end of June which I agreed too and have even signed up for my state pension from 01 July, however they have now moved it to end of May which I am even more cool with.
Even though I will cease to be a member of the working class on 31 May, I will remain a member of the oppressive boss class for a couple more years since if I take out what money is left in Q Enterprises in one go, HMRC will sting me for a shitload of tax.
So I will be CEO of a company with no staff and no work to do for a bit.

Honestly i think I will end up too sick to retire. Kind of the point that a certain percentage don't make it. Made provisions for SO and kids. I'll milk that sick pay tho even if its fuck all

Just checking my old work DC pension. Started it in December 2014. The last contributions made were when I left in November 2019

Your contributions £26.5k.
Other payment (transferring in old pension early on) £16k
Investment growth £36.5k (£10k of this in the last year)

Total £79k

Is that good? The investment growth I mean. I haven’t managed it or even looked at the various funds I chose since I left the job.

The amount is neither here nor there until I can actually take it which is decades away, but that amount of money is easily 3-4 years living costs though I don’t suppose I could access it all as a lump sum without tax liabilities.

Just checking my old work DC pension. Started it in December 2014. The last contributions made were when I left in November 2019

Your contributions £26.5k.
Other payment (transferring in old pension early on) £16k
Investment growth £36.5k (£10k of this in the last year)

Total £79k

Is that good? The investment growth I mean. I haven’t managed it or even looked at the various funds I chose since I left the job.

The amount is neither here nor there until I can actually take it which is decades away, but that amount of money is easily 3-4 years living costs though I don’t suppose I could access it all as a lump sum without tax liabilities.
I think that’s pretty good.

I urgently need to solve the mystery of how to pay missed NI years - I'm now wondering about deferring taking my state pension ...
I already regret taking the default tax-free lump sum with my work pension.
2020 was a bad year for making decisions like that.

Back
Top Bottom