Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What black history were you taught at school?

Yep not much. A bit about the Atlantic slave trade at primary school. The only other history I recall we did then was ancient Greece. Secondary school history was industrial revolution, no GCSE history, rather something called Intagrated Humanities. The history component of which covered Ireland, Cromwell and that era. A level was 19c British and 20C European.

Incas and Mayans and Conquistadors, Slave trade, Scramble for Africa, the Raj and Partition, Botany Bay and the subsequent decimation of Aborigines.

No actual history of those people or places, just what white people did to them.

History of the UK, including Irish history, all the kings and queens (had to learn them in order and by rote). Then shit tonnes of European history in excruciating detail, all the kings and queens, all the wars, the Crusades, the Holy Roman Empire, all the Napoleons, the Renaissance, the Borgias and Medicis, and then back to Britain with the industrial revolution, empire building, WW1&2. We did cover, briefly and in passing, Black soldiers.

The school was pretty hot on history, deliberately feeding into universities and journalism (three of my contemporaries at school are now on the telly and radio doing front line journalism; one is a war correspondent). We had two different teachers, one was an older woman who had a mind that captured and delivered stuff in fantastic detail, the other was a tiny young Indian woman with beautiful long hair and a resonant voice who - thinking back on it - gave me a sense of the unspoken and untold behind the story. Remembering her now, there seemed to be a solemnity in her delivery, and gaps when she’d be quiet and there was stuff behind the silence that was kinda portentous. Made me curious to know more. I nearly did go on to do history as a degree (the school certainly wanted me to) but I absolutely did not want to do any more schooling at that point in my life “I can go back to school but I can’t go back to being 18”.

Akyaaba Addai-Sebo: the shocking conversation that led him to start UK Black History Month

Akyaaba%20Addai-Sebo%20smaller.png

(Source: School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London)

Thank goodness for this man.

I am pretty sure that I got taught none at school. I did History at GCSE and the syllabus was something dull and stopped just before or just after the industrial Revolution, plus was limited mainly to England (they claimed GB but there was nothing about the potato famine in Ireland or the highland clearances in Scotland, or the rise of mining in Wales). Mostly history of agriculture, history of public health, history of education, a bit about early transition from farming to factories but nothing global and certainly nothing about the role of Britain in the slave trade or emigration/immigration policies.

I passed the exam, barely. I was bored for two years. I would have welcomed learning about civil rights matches, freedom schools, slave trade and abolition, Irish history, Scottish history, Welsh history, you name it. What I do know I have learned through my own reading in later life.

My school years were in Canada, so there were some basics around the US civil war and the Underground Railroad up to Canada for escaped slaves. Not a lot, though. Upper Canada passed an anti slavery bill in 1793, so there's not a lot to cover in terms of that - slavery had been banned for most of the colony's history. In terms of who had the most historical mistreatment, we covered the natives more.

I am pretty sure that I got taught none at school. I did History at GCSE and the syllabus was something dull and stopped just before or just after the industrial Revolution, plus was limited mainly to England (they claimed GB but there was nothing about the potato famine in Ireland or the highland clearances in Scotland, or the rise of mining in Wales). Mostly history of agriculture, history of public health, history of education, a bit about early transition from farming to factories but nothing global and certainly nothing about the role of Britain in the slave trade or emigration/immigration policies.

I passed the exam, barely. I was bored for two years. I would have welcomed learning about civil rights matches, freedom schools, slave trade and abolition, Irish history, Scottish history, Welsh history, you name it. What I do know I have learned through my own reading in later life.
same

We had one history lesson (not nearly enough) about slavery.
Also in primary school sometimes did projects where we learned a bit about African history - nothing to do with recent history or other ethnic groups.

I grew up and went to school in a rural area that was 99.9% white btw (at least from the age of 5, where I had been beforehand was a little more diverse), so it was very much well meaning liberal white people teaching white kids about stuff (which tbf is probably better than nothing), rather than hearing about any lived experience.

Don't recall being taught anything about black history at school. Vaguely recall 1066, Vikings (made a diorama type thing), industrial revolution, Lowry, and there was an Edwardian? Victorian? day when we had to write with ink pens and wear sort of apron dresses - there might also have been 'mob caps'?

I remember my mate telling me that his son asked the school library if they had The Communist Manifesto and was told the question was 'inappropriate'.
I don't recall black history being taught in school but I imagine it's higher on the list of priorities than Marx.

We had an Irish history teacher. Who knew his stuff, as in what had to be included in the curriculum and what was important to know.
So we did the required Civil rights bit.
He showed our class pictures of Emmet Til.
That made an impact.

We had Welsh history, which was mostly about what bastards the English were. Nothing about Africa that I remember.

I went to schools for kids of US military personnel and by the early 1970s, they started teaching us about prominent Black American figures like Crispus Attucks, George Washington Carver, Booker T Washington and Harriet Tubman but the names of W.E.B Dubois, Paul Robeson, Malcolm X, Langston Hughes and others were omitted. Slavery was skimmed over, and the slave revolts weren't mentioned at all.

"An "obnoxious" London council has been accused of reverting to the "dark ages of racism and ignorance" for refusing to acknowledge or celebrate Black History Month ..."

375px-Lb_hillingdon_logo.svg.png

Tory council accused of ‘racist agenda’ for refusing to celebrate Black History Month

Meanwhile ...

"More than half of Britons know so little about Black British history that they cannot name a single historical figure, a survey has revealed ..."

Half of Britons can’t name a Black British historical figure, survey finds

The University of Chichester are doing their bit to reduce the amount of material on African history that is available to study in schools (and elsewhere) with the planned redundancy of Professor Hakim Adi, BA Hons., PhD (London), Professor of the History of Africa and the African Diaspora:

Outrage over UK university’s plan to cut African history course and its professor

Legal action considered after university sack popular history professor

Acclaimed historian Hakim Adi up for prize weeks after being made redundant in cost-cutting measures

An update:

"A university’s decision to axe a groundbreaking African history course and make its founder redundant is facing legal challenges from students and equality groups ..."

Closure of African history master’s faces legal challenge

The appeal for funding for the proposed legal action may be found here

None whatsoever. There was only one black kid in the entire school as well. It was in deepest Cornwall back in the day though.

I was taught about segregation in the US, MLK and the Jim Crow Laws - oh and apartheid SA but the 60s/70s time period was it as far as Black American history was concerned. We didn't learn about slavery or the empire at all.

I was never taught any black history at school, but I was told by two sisters that Cleopatra was black and that their grandmother had told them so. Which has echoes in a recent so-called documentary about Cleopatra.

Back
Top Bottom