Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What black history were you taught at school?

None at primary school - does ancient Egypt count? Though it was hardly Black Athena . More like growing cress on damp sugar paper to represent the annual Nile flood crop.After Egypt was covered, we tactfully paid no more attention to the brown or black world.

Secondary - Schools Council History thematic syllabus involved about 3000 lessons (it felt like) about the American West. A more balanced and sympathetic account of the Native American tragedy, but still more than a hint of manifest destiny about the whole thing.

The other thing about studying Ancient Egypt in primary school was that I happily managed a whole term of it without once realising that the ancient Egyptians might have been anything other than white.

Last edited:
The other thing about studying Ancient Egypt in primary school was that I happily managed a whole term of it without once realising that the ancient Egyptians might have been anything other than white.

Yeah; their colour was never mentioned. Like Jesus, come to think of it. All the representations of Jesus were of a white bloke.

Yeah; their colour was never mentioned. Like Jesus, come to think of it. All the representations of Jesus were of a white bloke.
Indeed, it seems that things aren’t much changed.

1df2d1ee402141878a82d6811ce48a48--ancient-egypt-books.jpg

Jesus would have looked typically Sephardic, wouldn’t he? Off-white. IC2. Olive Blush, if you work in marketing for Dulux. But in binary terms, white rather than black.

Matter of subjectivity, I suppose. Looks pretty generic European to me.

Not an area of history that I'm all that familiar with, but wasn't Ancient Egypt a multiracial empire which included both people who looked like that and also sub-Saharan Africans?

Not an area of history that I'm all that familiar with, but wasn't Ancient Egypt a multiracial empire which included both people who looked like that and also sub-Saharan Africans?
I guess the fact that neither of us is particularly familiar one way or other kind of proves the point that whilst Ancient Egypt is taught in schools, no mention is made whatsoever of the fact that the residents of Ancient Egypt might look anything other than like the kids in the class. And if you went to the kind of suburban home counties middle England school that I did, that means 100% white.

we did the slave trade iirc, I know I learned about some Abolitionist big names at some point in school. William Knibb. That stuck because there are buildings named for him in n'pton. Other than that it was ww1 and two, the roaring 20s in america (so as to avoid looking at the social fabric of 20s UK says I :hmm: ). Romans. No way can I remember key stage 3 anymore

5 year plans and cold war?

My history teacher encouraged us to read nial ferguson.

At the time there was no library genesis or kindle drm removing tools so i made do with the handouts sadly, otherwise i would have criticised.

Last edited:
Lenny henry on radio 4 just now, claiming that the totally wasted base head, Richard Prior was a role model
That's just how bad the education has been re what is good about the great cultures and achievements of Africa, a coke head yank comedian is seen as somehow a pinnacle
Surely teaching "Black History" as opposed to world history, is to make it "special" 0 ther VERY best insult for an under 10..
He should have been singing this guys praises:- Malik Ambar
Malik Ambar: The Ethiopian Who Ruled The Deccan | Madras Courier

I got taught nothing about black, Scottish, Welsh or Irish history at school. Anything I've learnt I've gained through my own reading, whether here or books and other websites.

I guess the fact that neither of us is particularly familiar one way or other kind of proves the point that whilst Ancient Egypt is taught in schools, no mention is made whatsoever of the fact that the residents of Ancient Egypt might look anything other than like the kids in the class. And if you went to the kind of suburban home counties middle England school that I did, that means 100% white.

I read somewhere (and I really can't remember where), that the upper-classes of ancient Egypt would have looked pretty much like an average middle-class Egyptian person of today.
Cartoon representations are kind of stylised, so it can be a thorny issue when racial characteristics are portrayed in cartoon form, so I expect they just went with a change of skin tone compared with their European representations for this reason.

eta: looking at their "house style" of how they draw faces, I can't see a problem myself

Last edited:
Re: the OP - when I was in school they taught history in such a dull way that I barely paid any attention, but for the most part it seemed to involve white European aristocracy and their power squabbles. Yawn.

never mind ancient egypt, churches up and down the land perpetuate the notion that jesus was a pale-skinned european

Back
Top Bottom