Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you listening to right now? v2.0

Unmatched until that Nirvana tribute band I saw down the pub last tuesday night. I say Nirvana tribute band, it was just a junkie wailing to himself on the pavement outside.

I pity you! You must be dead inside.

"Dead inside" = When you see an old friend (great guitarist with an incredible voice for rock/metal) doing MOR Gospel Rock (sounding like he's played in "the top of the pops easy listening orchestra" his entire life) cos he's gone and got an imaginary friend :facepalm:

Makes me want to cry :(

(No real offence intended to those of faith ;) )

"Dead inside" = When you see an old friend (great guitarist with an incredible voice for rock/metal) doing MOR Gospel Rock (sounding like he's played in "the top of the pops easy listening orchestra" his entire life) cos he's gone and got an imaginary friend :facepalm:

Makes me want to cry :(

(No real offence intended to those of faith ;) )
Gospel rock. Gospel. Rock. Two words that should NEVER be anywhere near each other.

A Homebrew :)

Nice fucking work people! Love it. Love it, I like it more than the original but that maybe because I've so utterly overheard it now, your versions raw and a little bit more... romantic. Like the echoey sound, synthesizer and the guitar solo, gives it a very different gravely feel. Niceness!

Nice fucking work people! Love it. Love it, I like it more than the original but that maybe because I've so utterly overheard it now, your versions raw and a little bit more... romantic. Like the echoey sound, synthesizer and the guitar solo, gives it a very different feel. Niceness!

FYI We didn't use the Ike's rap sample...

Instead I DI'd a Jazz Bass into an ART tube pre, compressed with an 1176 and Logic's EQ, used an ES175 for the rhythm guitar and a Les Paul for the lead, strings were from Absynth, Drums were recorded by a friend in France (in his pill-box in the garden -at least one person has a good use for old military gun enplacements ;))

Mic was a U87 clone into an ART tube preamp (the same one we used for bass) then into an 1176, then Audioease's Speakerphone, then into Logic's Chan EQ (all reverbs were Lexicon)

I also had a large loop I'd made of a nice rough old piece of vinyl (and the "stylus lift off" at the end), and I added a bit of noise (which was a bit more complex than it sounds (I love to try things, and geek about when I get the chance, and this "noise thing" is something I've been refining over a few years now ;) ))..

I mixed some pink and white noise together in a ratio about 3:2, added an octaver to generate some lower frequencies, that got mixed with the vinyl sample, and squashed a bit with an 1176 to make it sound like one thing rather than 4 joined together, and then just faded it in and out throughout the track as required, it's not exactly audible, but it adds a "feel" to the overall track that works for me

BTW The stereo buss had Cytonic's Glue and PSP's Vintage Warmer (with one of my presets) and a Logic limiter just to stop it making it into nasty digital distortion ;-)

If I was going to remix, I'd attenuate the fret squeak (by inversion but not kill it completely 'cos it'd sound unnatural) on the ES 175, and prolly give the Les Paul a bit more bottom end, but it was a vehicle for Stacy, and certainly not me trying to be a guitar-hero in any way sense or form ;)

Glad you liked it :cool:

It's tremendous isn't it? Just found it on youtube. Stage presence. I used to request that song at discos.

I'll listen to that back. It looks pretty cool.

☝ The guy that taught Blues Boy King to play ;)

And now, Ladiezzzzz and Genel'men here's Kotze (IMO an incredibly inventive player ;) )...

(I posted the last one because it sounds a bit like "Poor Boy" and I'm hoping people will enjoy it ;) )

Back
Top Bottom