Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are the basics of facial skin care?

I use Clarins exfoliant facial scrub every other day, either Clarins or Occitaine serum most days, Occitaine day cream and night cream, sometimes the Clarins equivalent. Sheshido eye cream. Bio therm face wash or Soley face wash. All products of age panic. Marketing victim and consumer fetishism. Foolish me.

I use Clarins exfoliant facial scrub every other day, either Clarins or Occitaine serum most days, Occitaine day cream and night cream, sometimes the Clarins equivalent. Sheshido eye cream. Bio therm face wash or Soley face wash. All products of age panic. Marketing victim and consumer fetishism. Foolish me.
Age panic :)

It is interesting to know what everyone uses and what their routine is like but what I would find really useful (and probably others) is to know why you use each thing. What are the underlying principles of healthy skin?
The problem with that question, ime, is that it depends a lot on your skin type, age, sun damage etc. So you'll see some people above who love scrubs and some who hate them. A make-up artist tip is to use bicarbonate of soda from the supermarket as an exfoliant - I'm sure it works for some people but it left me with grazed skin.

I use a scrub face wash (any one without microbeads), serum and moisturiser with SPF 15 in the morning. My face still tans slightly through the SPF 15, I wouldn't go lower. If I wear make up, my tinted moisturiser has SPF 30 (I apply it sparingly with a brush like foundation). Make up remover and night cream at night. A few times a week I use a spendy REN exfoliant called Wake Wonderful which does leave my skin looking brighter and smoother in the morning.

When I was younger I barely needed to moisturise - my skin would only take up a pea size amount. Serum would have been totally wasted.

I dunno what the problem is in using skincare tbh, but each to their own.

If you don't give a shit about your skin or improvements one can make then this thread probably well ain't for you.

I've managed to totally turn my skin around recently (dry with age and got contact dermatitis from winter hats) it's been shitty for the last three or so years, so I just went back and reviewed everything, so now I wash me hands thoroughly before even touching my face, double cleanse with the micellar water with argan oil in it, (this was all about cutting out tap water btw - which has helped immensely and I dont wear makeup so not that bothered) then I give me face a spray with avene thermal spring water in a can, then depending on my skin will use either eucerin ato-control face care cream or acute care cream, after it's sunk in I put benefit it's potent eye cream (used to use clinique all about eyes) round me ocular bone coming down onto cheekbones cus my mam crepes there, then will go in with olay firm and lift on neck, sides of mouth, forehead and between eyebrows. I dunno when am gonna add in extra things.

the REN wake wonderful am interested in getting, it's supposed to be the shit

my skin has been fucking horrible and itchy for ages and the past couple months I feel like I got my old cheeks back ( I had a problem with over enthusiastic cell regeneration after being on steroids last summer)

does anyone use either la roche posay or clinique city block sunscreen? I always find sunscreen to be really nasty feeling, so need a light-ish one I dunno how these are is worth asking. I've seen one of the sunscreen makers do a light liquid that can be used on face

gotta go out brb

Last edited:
I only have one rule really and that is never to use soap on my face.

I wash it morning and night with aqueous cream, and put moisturiser on in the morning.

I do sometimes buy other things like toner, serum etc. but I don't feel like they make much difference.

oh I forgot this mask I use sometimes by manuka doctor, it's the bee venom mask and it's the only one I've had visible results from

overnight masks and cleansing balms I don't know much about as they are both relatively new things and I've been trying to sort my skin out, I know my mam has an elemis cleansing balm she rates

I dont really rate newspaper or magazine articles about products, it's all marketing, makeupalley is a good review site for products fyi

Sugar and butter mixed together. <snip>
Many a true word spoken in jest - the exfoliating scrub I used to get rid of a lot of peeling skin on my arms and legs (after scarlet fever you often peel like mad for a few weeks) was a paste of granulated sugar and extra virgin olive oil, gently rubbed on and then sluiced off with tepid soapy water. I don't recommend it for frequent use, but it worked like a charm at getting me to look halfway presentable.

olive oil and caster sugar is a pretty good exfoliant if it's all you have and your face is really flaky and gross. :cool:

So much nodding from me re washing hands and not touching your face. I said on the other thread that I have gone back to proper cleansing and not wipes. Each night sinking the cream in feels good but my skincare product that I always rave about is Lush 'brazened honey' fresh face mask, this is about £6 a pot and lasts 4 weeks and for me just makes my skin zing.

I work shifts (early starts, long hours, nights) and this is what I run to when I'm feeling that. Also Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream saved my sunburnt face in 2004 when I got burnt in Africa , I haven't bought any since but should do. I put it on my rather sun kissed face with sunglasses marks (white eyes) and woke up next day to a much more even less angry face with everyone going 'wow'.

brazened honey will create micro tears, well too harsh for my skin

the 8 hour cream is pretty good

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I've learned that it really is different for everyone.

I bought skin drink from lush and it's great, better than anything else I've tried.

It.s a toner containing Glycolic acid and/or salicylic acid, which acts as an exfoliant. I use it in the evening, but you can use in the morning as well.

Brands I like are Pixiglow, Clinique mild clarifying lotion (not any of the other toners that contain alcohol) or Nip & Fab Glycolic Fix pads.
Since salicylic acid is aspirin, can I make a solution of this to use? (You can get the acid from willow tree bark too) Glycolic acid is related to vinegar, can that be used? Serious questions as, if it's possible, money could saved.

Brazened honey is bloody great, but it's pretty harsh. I have always had damned-near indestructible skin, and I loved it, but I'm not sure I'd use it now. My skin still isn't sensitive or anything, but I have a vague sense that I should be less cavalier with it now I'm over forty.

A largely outdoor life and total lack of even the most basic skin care means that I now have a 59year old face like a sun-dried tomato. Even I have been a tad horrified at the state of my face - fortunately, I have that non-english, leathery genetic peasant thing going on so there is that but still...is there any point at all in making a tiny (and cheap) effort by slapping on a bit of Nivea or summat...or should I just embrace my inner (and increasingly outer) crone? I recall the day I finally stopped the 3 decades of hair dying madness to find I absolutely adored being grey...but I cannot help noticing the many, many products in my bathroom, none of which belong to me apart from a bottle of denture cleaner and some Maxicrop plant food for the spiderplants. Have even been guilty of washing my hair in Fairy Green. The dog has more tut than I have. Since 60 is rolling ever closer, should I make an effort or am I now beyond the pale and should give in to withering. And if so, what can you recommend for less than a tenner (if possible).

eta - a few years ago, I had similar self-doubts about my wayward bosoms and actually entered a bra emporium for the first time in my life. The horrible garments I was strapped into didn't remain in use for very long but just knowing I had tried removed any guilt I might have felt at potentially assaulting someone with out of control bazookas...and I was ever so grateful to be back in the comfort of a vest.

Last edited:
you can crush up asprin with a drop of water and some honey to get a desperate times face mask.

it's like some of you have been living under a rock that dont have google. honestly.

But Pengaleng - some of us have, at least metaphorically, been at the level of cave dwelling.

honey and aspirin. Cheap, accessible, perfect.

Almost anything that isn't the classic Oil of Ulay/Olay buggers my skin up, particularly anything really moisturising, which is a problem as my skin is so dry now. I've ordered a Konjac Sponge for cleansing, after a recommendation from a woman in her 60s with lovely skin.

Almost anything that isn't the classic Oil of Ulay/Olay buggers my skin up, particularly anything really moisturising, which is a problem as my skin is so dry now. I've ordered a Konjac Sponge for cleansing, after a recommendation from a woman in her 60s with lovely skin.
Never heard of it before but looks interesting. How do you find the sponge?

I just look in the bathroom cupboard and there it is *boom-tish!* (sorry :oops: )

Really good for exfoliating gently but effectively. My skin feels really smooth and a bit brighter. I got the red clay one, not sure what difference that makes :D

I usually use Clarins exfoliator, following with a lotion and a cream. Works well for me!
Also, I like reading reviews on different beauty products on The Beauty Insiders.

Can anyone recommend a good under-eye product; in particular for dark circles?

I am 49 years old; skin is very sensitive to any additives in face creams. I used to use Avene and M&S used to sell a very good cream for ultra - sensitive skin; for the last 14 years I have been buying a cream from a German drugstore. I, cyclically, shed skin from the middle of my forehead and get a red patch, also around my mouth. Why did type all this???

Back
Top Bottom