Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are managers for?

Orang Utan

Psychick Worrier Ov Geyoor
#notallmanagers ,natch, but it seems that managerial roles in some organisations are what would be called secretarial administrative roles (and be paid less and be considered lower status) in other hierarchical organisations.
They don’t know how to do stuff the rest of the team know how to do, so can’t pitch in when times are busy or staffing is low, so they just fuss about stressing everyone, who can get on with things swimmingly when they’re not around.

This is probably some basic observation already made by Marx, so forgive me if I’m stating the obvious, but I was kept awake by this last night. :oops:

Last edited:
#notallmanagers , natch, but it seems that managerial roles is some organisations that would be called secretarial administrative roles (and be paid less and be considered lower status) in other hierarchical organisations.
They don’t know how to do stuff the rest of the team know how to do, so can’t pitch in when times are busy or staffing is low, so they just fuss about stressing everyone, who can get on with things swimmingly when they’re not around.

This is probably some basic observation already made by Marx, so forgive me if I’m stating the obvious, but I was kept awake by this last night. :oops:
The role of most managers is to make sure that there is someone or many someones doing a job at the right place at the right time to the right standard so that the entirety of the manager's remit is doing what it's supposed to be doing currently and in the future. Anyone that's employed full or part-time doing integral parts of the remit (such as admin) might just be a part-time manager or manager by vanity title.

Well today, after reminding someone to put on a tie when at work, I was rather rudly told to

'teach his grandmother how to suck eggs'

, to which I should have replied,

'only if she is wearing a tie'

But I did not, I walked away, thus winning via default.

The role of most managers is to make sure that there is someone or many someones doing a job at the right place at the right time to the right standard so that the entirety of the manager's remit is doing what it's supposed to be doing currently and in the future. Anyone that's employed full or part-time doing integral parts of the remit (such as admin) might just be a part-time manager or manager by vanity title.
And I think there’s a difference in managers who see their role as managerial ie overseers or those that try to maximise staff potential and capital .

Well today, after reminding someone to put on a tie when at work, I was rather rudly told to

This is the kind of daft shit that makes managers superfluous - ‘they make sure their staff obey daft rules’

I agree with cesare - IMO the main role of a manger is to ensure that the people do specific tasks to the correct standard and in a timely manner, this may be to produce tangible objects or carry out a service.
The manager also needs to ensure that there are enough supplies to hand.
A further role would be to make sure staff have adequate breaks each day and deal with other admin matters such as pay, holidays etc when that's not dealt with by others.

IME, it helps if the manager can also do the tasks in question - and can demonstrate that, not to mention a willingness to "roll up their selves" when necessary.

Actually, IME, some supervisors [charge hands] are also managers, and vice versa.
Whether that role is in running a department or section within a much larger organisation - or is the whole system.

At my place of work, managers use words. Lots of words. Sometimes for a very long time. But when you vacate the meeting room - and this is the great mystery - nothing has been said.

And that is my understanding of what managers are for.

This is the kind of daft shit that makes managers superfluous - ‘they make sure their staff obey daft rules’
That's my point.

Gosh my job sucks, yes however, it's a paid wage, plus teachings hours on top so I do save money, I live basically on the same road. I am not saying its great, but better than most i.e.? the people I force through our door everyday, to work for my boss who also verbally crixifies people she hates, the past 2 years me included. And now 2 of the teacher's are out for my scalpe?

Anyway sunday should be fun, i will say next weekend is casual dress, in every month we'll have a casual dress weekend.

#notallmanagers , natch, but it seems that managerial roles is some organisations that would be called secretarial administrative roles (and be paid less and be considered lower status) in other hierarchical organisations.

Yes, Marx observes this, but actually doesn’t spend a lot of time on it. You might enjoy reading Parecon books. That’s more directly aimed at addressing this.

I've been well managed on collaborative translation projects that involved a fair amount of coordination on their part and saved the rest of us headaches.

why should they wear a fucking tie?

Back
Top Bottom