Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What albums from the last ten years are in your all-time Top 20 favourites?

editor

hiraethified
Right now, I can think of four:

Innocence Mission: Hello I Feel the Same
Karen Peris: A Song Is Way Above the Lawn
And Taylor Swift's Folklore and Evermore albums.

How about you?

Ooh, tough one. I struggle with top 20 lists generally, and as far as contemporary-ish artists I love go, I reckon the Mountain Goats, Fucked Up, Lana Del Rey, Death Grips, probably Ramshackle Glory/Pat the Bunny and arguably Xiu Xiu all did their best work before 2013. But Dose Your Dreams, Ultraviolence, Government Plates, Possibly Nothing, Probably Everything, Angel Guts and Forget are all pretty respectable entries. Beach House, Protomartyr, Run the Jewels and Waxahatchee have all had strings of amazing albums within the last ten years. And Iceage as well. It's the Big Joyous Celebration, Let's Stir the Honeypot by Teen Suicide and Take It, It's Yours by Katy Goodman and Greta Morgan/Salpeter come to mind as two I really loved. And New Alhambra by Elvis Depressedly. And looking for albums from 2013, that was the year that Earl did Doris, Hard Skin did Why Do Birds Suddenly Appear?, Kanye did Yeezus, and MIA did Matangi, unless my music player is lying to me, which it sometimes does.
Tl;dr I am terrible at making top 20 lists and have no idea what my top 20 albums are, but there's a lot of decent albums from the last decade that could well be on there, especially by Beach House and Protomartyr/

Bicep - Isles
John Francis Flynn- I Would Not Live Always
and Lankum - Livelong Day

Would include Sault but don't own anything by them, yet. All the stuff heard so far is strong.

Last edited:
"The Great Dismal" by Nothing stands a chance as might "Swidden" by Blackbird Raum.
I was thinking "blimey, is Swidden that recent?", but turns out it's from 2008, so not quite last ten years. On the other hand, turns out they've got a new album out now, literally only just found that out so not yet listened to see if it's as good as their old stuff though:

As The Love Continues by Mogwai is a straight up banger.
This was the first to come to mind for me too :cool:

A few other possible contenders:
The Fall - Re-Mit (just)
Sleaford Mods - Key Markets (or possibly Divide and Exit)
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark
The Hempolics - Kiss, Cuddle & Torture Volume 1

Dunno as i'm generally crap with new music, but definitely an Atmosphere album in there cos i'm a slag for Slug.

None would make my top 20. Can only think of a few that would make my top 50:

Tainted Lunch by Warmduscher
Stay Gold by First Aid Kit
Topical Dancer by Charlotte Adigery and Bolis Pupul

Going to have to look up some of the albums listed in this thread. I'm not much of a maker of lists, or buyer of albums, or rememberer of names, newer stuff I've been listening to includes Spirit of the Beehive, Deerhoof, and My Little Airport but I can't pick out an album from any of them that stands head and shoulders above their others.

I was going to include French rapper Oxmo Puccino but turns out the album I've been listening to most is 25 years old :D

Le soleil are very underrated.

I think the records by Mario Batkovic would probably make my top ten, as would Esmirine’s lost voices.

Bottle It In - Kurt Vile
Wednesday - Just Mustard
Before We Forgot How To Dream - SOAK

II - Moderat just sneaking in the 10 years

Last edited:
This is a surprisingly tough question.

I churn through albums so 'all time Top 20' is the absolute best of the best. I don't really walk around with an all time top 20 in my head, so before answering the question I have to give some thought to which of the hundreds of albums I deeply love would be contenders for a top 20, before seeing which of them are from the last 10 years. There's probably a tendancy to favour older albums that I've lived with for decades, that soundtracked formative experiences, over more recent ones that I don't know if they're going to last in my heart for the long run. Also, in the last 10 years it's become so easy to listen to new albums that there can be a tendency to hear an album, love it and then move onto 10 more albums, not giving it the attention that I might have when going to a shop and buying an album was the only way to hear it.

The first that springs to mind that would easily make the list is The Asphodell's Ruled By Passion, Destroyed By Lust- Weatherall & Fairplay at their best. But that turns out to just miss the 10 year deadline, having been released in February 2013.

A recent one that continues to amaze and I keep going back to, that has the potential to lodge itself in my all time top 20, is Limiñanas/Garnier - De Película. France's best psych-rockers team up with France's best DJ/producer to make a French/Spanish language concept album about two lovers on an À Bout de Souffle/Wild at Heart style roadtrip.

Another contender is Boy Harsher's Careful. Everything I love about the poppier end of gloomy minimal wave distilled into one album. Helped by seeing them live at what is certainly the best gig I've been to in the last 10 years, full of goths giving into themselves and dancing like ravers.

None whatsoever.

A few might have a chance of cracking my top 100 if I was that fucking bored to compile one, but ya know I'm not 17 and lists of favourite records is a bit pointless. That said I'm quite curious as to what I'd put in :D

Definitely more mainstream than all you hipsters lol even though compared to my work colleagues say I'm out in the furthest reaches of avant garde and dad rock

I'm not an old-school zealot, by the way, here's some of the records in the last ten years I've played a lot and enjoyed

Ultra Truth - Daniel Avery
Amygdala - DJ Koze
Drowners - Drowners
Barbara, Barbara, We Face A Shining Future - Underworld
Drift Series 1 - Underworld
Kiasmos - Kiasmos
Super Ape Returns to Conquer -Lee Parry & Subatomic Sound System
A Curious Tale of Trials & Persons - Little Simz
No Thank You - Little Simz
The Magic Whip - Blur
Songs of Innocence - U2
Electric - Pet Shop Boys
The New Abnormal - The Strokes
The Deluge - William Basinski
Once Twice Melody - Beach House
A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead
Divide & Exit - Sleaford Mods
Key Markets - Sleaford Mods
Agora - Fennesz
Lost in the Dream - The War on Drugs

One of my faves is from 2010 - Francoise Hardy - “La pluie sans parapluie”. Lovely album and devastatingly French.

Another contender is Boy Harsher's Careful. Everything I love about the poppier end of gloomy minimal wave distilled into one album. Helped by seeing them live at what is certainly the best gig I've been to in the last 10 years
Loved them when I saw em in a club in Prague last year

I've a terrible habit of constantly chasing the new which tends to take up all my listening time so as others have said above it's quite hard for recent albums to lodge themselves permanently in my heart.

One definite is Compro by Skee Mask.

A masterpiece - stopped me in my tracks at the time and five years later still hits the sweet spot on every spin....

Back
Top Bottom