Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Westminster to use constitutional tool to block Holyrood gender recognition law.

... I can't find anywhere that he deviates from an assumption that either Scottish GRCs will be invalid in E&W or that they will be valid only if they would have been issued in E&W (it's not clear which it is). I don't think there's any basis for thinking either is correct (and there's nothing in place for knowing in the latter case).
I'd understood that Scottish Parliament had recognised that the question of whether or not UK recognises Scottish GRCs is a matter for the UK government. That seems to be clear from this letter.

Even if they were made invalid in E&W, it wouldn't matter much for practical purposes, because a Scottish person would just use the GRC to get a new birth certificate and passport, after which they don't need the GRC for day-to-day purposes.
I think this is the reason for some of the other objections.

I'd understood that Scottish Parliament had recognised that the question of whether or not UK recognises Scottish GRCs is a matter for the UK government. That seems to be clear from this letter.
Yes, but in the sense that it is up to the UK government to legislate for England (as well as Wales in this case, I think). Westminster can pass legislation de-recognising Scottish GRCs if it wants.

I don't think, OTOH, it would the position of the Scottish government that whatever London says goes.

Yes, but in the sense that it is up to the UK government to legislate for England (as well as Wales in this case, I think). Westminster can pass legislation de-recognising Scottish GRCs if it wants.

I don't think, OTOH, it would the position of the Scottish government that whatever London says goes.
If the Westminster government decides that E&W won't recognise Scottish GRCs, then that objection to the Bill - that a British person's sex could be different north and south of the border, and the issues that'd cause - gains some validity.

If the Westminster government decides that E&W won't recognise Scottish GRCs, then that objection to the Bill - that a British person's sex could be different north and south of the border, and the issues that'd cause - gains some validity.
Maybe that's something like what they are planning. But I think it would end up in a significant victory for NS and a blow against the union.

Even if they were made invalid in E&W, it wouldn't matter much for practical purposes, because a Scottish person would just use the GRC to get a new birth certificate and passport, after which they don't need the GRC for day-to-day purposes.
If you're right doesn't that exactly illustrate the issue- creating a situation where a UK passport & revised birth certificate can or cannot be issued depending on which side of the border the application is made?

I'm also unclear to what extent this applies only to Scottish people, or perhaps to people who live in Scotland. What would prevent an English person spending howevermany days in a Scottish Travelodge in order to qualify, obtain a Scottish GRC and then apply for a new UK passport and birth certificate? How could differing requirements either side of the border be effectively managed, given there is full freedom of movement?

If you're right doesn't that exactly illustrate the issue- creating a situation where a UK passport & revised birth certificate can or cannot be issued depending on which side of the border the application is made?
Yes it creates a difference between the rights of trans people north and south of the border. But not really in any novel way. Scotland is its own legal jurisdiction, it has its own marriage laws, Scottish people get free prescriptions and so on. What's the burning issue you are seeing?

I'm also unclear to what extent this applies only to Scottish people, or perhaps to people who live in Scotland. What would prevent an English person spending howevermany days in a Scottish Travelodge in order to qualify, obtain a Scottish GRC and then apply for a new UK passport and birth certificate? How could differing requirements either side of the border be effectively managed, given there is full freedom of movement?
I don't know the full ins and outs, but I expect a decent test would be whether your household pays council tax in Scotland or not.

smokedout said:
Nah Danny's right on this. This was first a manifesto commitment in 2016 and the first consultation was held at the end of 2017. At the time Self ID was also Tory policy and remained that way until May left office in 2019 at which point Boris dithered for a while before they eventually decided to drop it. The second consultation scrutinising the proposals in more details was held in 2020 and the bill was supposed to go through straight after but was held up by COVID. Both consultations saw strong support for the proposals, which were also supported by Labour, the Greens and Lib Dems - and in fact the Greens demanded its implementation as part of the power sharing agreement in 2021. I think she's personally commmitted to it, perhaps more so after the abuse she's received and many of her detractors falling in with self confessed sex pest Alex Salmond. But it would have been pretty outrageous if the SNP had dropped it after years of supporting it, two consultations which were supportive and all other parties bar the Tories backing it as well.

I do get that there's history to this, and political and emotional attachment too. It's also clear and 100% foreseeable that this particular 'culture wars' tory govt would (indeed could) not accept it. fwiw a labour govt made of the current crop would almost certainly have raised the same objection, but it being tories is a fortunate conjunction for obvious historical reasons.

Jack has said that he'd be 'willing to negotiate.' It would be intriguing to see over what details. Age would be the obvious one, given differing notions of what constitutes adulthood. But anything else is just detail, rather than principle. Should the mitigations included against false representation be strengthened a bit? Should the time limit be reduced to six months instead of three? Even saying he is willing to negotiate (if it is in good faith), would seem to undermine his wider argument, because it couldn't be a fundamental contradiction with the wider law.

Yes it creates a difference between the rights of trans people north and south of the border. But not really in any novel way. Scotland is its own legal jurisdiction, it has its own marriage laws, Scottish people get free prescriptions and so on. What's the burning issue you are seeing?
Differing qualification for a UK passport and birth certificate is somewhat more of an quagmire than those other explicitly devolved policies. This isn't like prescriptions or college fees where differing taxation matters. Nor is it based on centuries old legal traditions, like marriage or whatever.

Put it this way, I don't see the cross border constitutional and administrative headaches this throws up as being remotely simple, nor capable of being wished away. The powers of devolved administrations to affect the specifics of equalities legislation are, I would have thought, something that needs to be resolved carefully by the UK as a whole- the clue is in the name. Differences either side of the border may suit short term political ambitions but isn't realistic in the longer run. Obviously, if Scotland gains independence it can do what it likes, or what its politicians like, but until then I think its inevitable that Westminster will squash this.

Differing qualification for a UK passport and birth certificate is somewhat more of an quagmire than those other explicitly devolved policies. This isn't like prescriptions or college fees where differing taxation matters. Nor is it based on centuries old legal traditions, like marriage or whatever.

Put it this way, I don't see the cross border constitutional and administrative headaches this throws up as being remotely simple, nor capable of being wished away. The powers of devolved administrations to affect the specifics of equalities legislation are, I would have thought, something that needs to be resolved carefully by the UK as a whole- the clue is in the name. Differences either side of the border may suit short term political ambitions but isn't realistic in the longer run. Obviously, if Scotland gains independence it can do what it likes, or what its politicians like, but until then I think its inevitable that Westminster will squash this.
They could easily live with it if they chose to. But they choose not to and devolution is such a mess that they can always point to an anomaly if they want. Currently Scotland has more democracy than England. The only real solution to this is to have more democracy in England. But that would require Westminster removing powers from Westminster.

They could easily live with it if they chose to. But they choose not to and devolution is such a mess that they can always point to an anomaly if they want. Currently Scotland has more democracy than England. The only real solution to this is to have more democracy in England. But that would require Westminster removing powers from Westminster.
Well sure, if London had the same devolved powers as Scotland it could have it's own equalities regime, which would probably be rather different than that in the Home Counties. Perhaps equalities, passports, birth certificates and definitions of woman and man should be decided on a much more parochial basis.

Passports are irrelevant, you can already get a new one without a GRC.
That's interesting. If so, the whole thing is about something very marginal, since almost nowhere will not accept a passport as ID. Maybe it leaves marriage (it would be degrading but not practically insurmountable to be forbidden from marrying in England) and fascinating internet discussions about "what is a woman".

I've read this quite carefully and, although I can tell you side with the UK government, I can't tell exactly why you find the Scottish legislation problematic. Is there some specific opinion you hold that you are, for some reason, reluctant to put into words?

That's interesting. If so, the whole thing is about something very marginal, since almost nowhere will not accept a passport as ID. Maybe it leaves marriage (it would be degrading but not practically insurmountable to be forbidden from marrying in England) and fascinating internet discussions about "what is a woman".
I think you're allowed to get married either way since we have gay marriage now, it's just about whether the marriage certificate says you're a man or a woman.

I think you're allowed to get married either way since we have gay marriage now, it's just about whether the marriage certificate says you're a man or a woman.
Yes, correction, you wouldn't be forbidden from marrying in England, but perhaps restricted in terms of where and how you can marry.

(Not to downplay the importance of other people being able to get a GRC if they want one, mind. I still absolutely support that even if I'm not really sure myself what the point of them is.)
(It is, I would suggest, not about having the GRC so much as about having a legal right to your gender. For example, AFAIK, no municipal swimming pool in the UK will tell a trans person to get changed in the room corresponding to their sex at birth. But that's because of policy, and it is not the same as having a right.)

A lot of the objections are very marginal; they rely on a series of assumptions about what might happen in some pretty rare circumstances.

I've read this quite carefully and, although I can tell you side with the UK government, I can't tell exactly why you find the Scottish legislation problematic. Is there some specific opinion you hold that you are, for some reason, reluctant to put into words?
Not really. I'm not very good with words, maybe that's what you're noticing?
But 'side with' this government is a bit strong. On this specific I very much doubt any Westminster government would let this pass. Partly because it looks so much like Sturgeon is trolling them, but mostly because of the resultant administrative mess of cross border inequalities. AIUI the devolution law is framed as it is in order to prevent both overreach by the devolved administrations and newly minted anomolies. I doubt this proposed law will survive a trip to the courts.

it looks so much like Sturgeon is trolling them
Why? Because there are different laws in Scotland? That’s kind of the point of devolution. The different laws aren’t to “troll” Westminster. Not everything is about Westminster.

Furthermore, the Scottish legal system was different even before devolution. For example, the tradition of English teenagers running away to be married in Gretna Green came about because it was not necessary for 16-year-olds in Scotland to have parental consent to marry, whereas it was in England. This is an example of a difference that existed before devolution and without accusations of it looking like the Scottish legal system was trolling the English one.

Why? Because there are different laws in Scotland? That’s kind of the point of devolution. The different laws aren’t to “troll” Westminster. Not everything is about Westminster.

Furthermore, the Scottish legal system was different even before devolution. For example, the tradition of English teenagers running away to be married in Gretna Green came about because it was not necessary for 16-year-olds in Scotland to have parental consent to marry, whereas it was in England. This is an example of a difference that existed before devolution and without accusations of it looking like the Scottish legal system was trolling the English one.
Yes, 'trolling' puts it too strongly. But, notwithstanding that I'm sure they do have a genuine commitment to trans rights, you can't help but think that this outcome probably could and would have been avoided if it hadn't been for both the SNP and Tories wanting to play to their respective bases.

The point about devolution is that it's not independence; it places strict limits on where Scotland can differ from the rest of the UK.

I think I understood the point you made upthread about the complexities of this within Scottish politics. Nonetheless, from this London backstreet it looks like the Sturgeon government trolling, knowing full well that this proposed law will be rejected and that they will be able to present that as overbearing centralisation during their independence campaigning.

I hoped I had addressed both the differing taxation based and legal system based differences, obviously I failed. I suggest that those were debated and settled during the run up to devolution. This proposed law is new and will create fundamental cross border anomolies which do not presently exist.

Yes, 'trolling' puts it too strongly. But, notwithstanding that I'm sure they do have a genuine commitment to trans rights, you can't help but think that this outcome probably could and would have been avoided if it hadn't been for both the SNP and Tories wanting to play to their respective bases.

The point about devolution is that it's not independence; it places strict limits on where Scotland can differ from the rest of the UK.
You’re right that devolution isn’t independence. However, the thing about the devolution act is the way it deals with the discussion about what is reserved and what is devolved. And that is that it specifies the reserved powers and then says anything else is assumed to be devolved. In a way it should be called the reserved powers act. It’s not really a surprise that a legislature told its competence is everything else will want to get involved in those matters.

As to the culture wars and the SNP and Tories playing to their respective bases, it should be remembered that the Prime Minister when Sturgeon began talking about this was Cameron, who was a very different beast on these individual social matters, being the PM who introduced equal marriage law in England.

Back
Top Bottom