Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

We Are Staying Up!

I'm not sure the switch of leagues made much difference. They were taken over by mysterious new owners at the end of last season who proclaimed the usual ambition of aiming for the Football League, they appointed a Spanish manager whose only previous experience of English football was at Biggleswade United, so two levels lower and not even the same locality, he signed a load of players no one had heard of, unsurprisingly made a poor start and was gone soon after. There were issues with the ground and facilities and at one point they didn't have the use of the clubhouse on matchdays. Basically their season has been a shambles on and off the pitch, they wouldn't have survived in the Isthmian Premier under the circumstances, and now they're back in the Isthmian in the South Central Division along with Tooting.
The only reason I mentioned the change of league was that this seems to have been the reason (or excuse) for last seasons squad to decamp as they weren’t able to commit to the extra travelling involved.

As you say, their season has been a shambles and from what I understand, it’s far from clear whether they will continue next season. Hopefully that won’t be the case and they will survive in some shape or form.

Last edited:
Looking at the Fuzz’s division Staines had a goal difference -128! Were they playing with 11 strikers!
Look at their last load of results!

Sat 23rd Mar A Merthyr Town Evo-Stik S Prem South 0 - 9
Sat 30th Mar H Salisbury Evo-Stik S Prem South 1 - 7
Sat 6th Apr A Weymouth Evo-Stik S Prem South 0 - 4
Sat 13th Apr A Chesham United Evo-Stik S Prem South 0 - 7
Sat 20th Apr H Gosport Borough Evo-Stik S Prem South 0 - 5
Mon 22nd Apr A Harrow Borough Evo-Stik S Prem South 1 - 9
Sat 27th Apr H Poole Town Evo-Stik S Prem South 0 - 7

A message from the Chairman | Staines Town Football Club

I'm not sure the switch of leagues made much difference. They were taken over by mysterious new owners at the end of last season who proclaimed the usual ambition of aiming for the Football League, they appointed a Spanish manager whose only previous experience of English football was at Biggleswade United, so two levels lower and not even the same locality, he signed a load of players no one had heard of, unsurprisingly made a poor start and was gone soon after. There were issues with the ground and facilities and at one point they didn't have the use of the clubhouse on matchdays. Basically their season has been a shambles on and off the pitch, they wouldn't have survived in the Isthmian Premier under the circumstances, and now they're back in the Isthmian in the South Central Division along with Tooting.

The league changes obviously didn't help Hendon this season, as they struggled with the losses of players and management, although the same issues haven't done Met Police any harm! More generally, the whole thing was meant to reduce travel and costs at Step 3 but doesn't seem to have done anything of the sort.

As for football in Biggleswade, I am just waiting for the bubble to burst. A town with three teams attracting minimal gates should not be viable. However Biggleswade Town had pretty much their best season (having asset stripped Hitchin Town in the close season), their junior side Biggleswade won the Spartan South Midlands League and Biggleswade United finished quite high up in that league too. Someone must have deep pockets!

Look at their last load of results!

Sat 23rd Mar A Merthyr Town Evo-Stik S Prem South 0 - 9
Sat 30th Mar H Salisbury Evo-Stik S Prem South 1 - 7
Sat 6th Apr A Weymouth Evo-Stik S Prem South 0 - 4
Sat 13th Apr A Chesham United Evo-Stik S Prem South 0 - 7
Sat 20th Apr H Gosport Borough Evo-Stik S Prem South 0 - 5
Mon 22nd Apr A Harrow Borough Evo-Stik S Prem South 1 - 9
Sat 27th Apr H Poole Town Evo-Stik S Prem South 0 - 7

A message from the Chairman | Staines Town Football Club
Hope they can stablise next season and ultimately pull through. They lost 27 of their last 28 league matches, the exception being a 1-0 win at home to Frome, who finished second bottom and also went down. Staines also had a 10-3 defeat to Basingstoke, who filled the third relegation slot despite amassing 49 points from 42 matches, the same as the Hamlet. Basingstoke also face a difficult immediate future having lost their Camrose round to development, relocating to the Hampshire FA ground which sounds rather basic and needs various improvements but is at least in the same town about a mile to the north.

Tonbridge won today's cross-league play-off for the final promotion place in National South, twice coming from behind to beat Not Police 3-2 after extra time.

4th place club gets promoted. Whatever next! Still the journey to Tonbridge is easier than Imber Court.

Last edited:
Welling have claimed the final place in next season's National South with a 1-0 defeat at Woking in today's play-off final. (It remains to be confirmed at the League AGM which two clubs will be shifted to the North Division.)

Welling have claimed the final place in next season's National South with a 1-0 defeat at Woking in today's play-off final. (It remains to be confirmed at the League AGM which two clubs will be shifted to the North Division.)
Took me a few goes of reading this to work out that Woking won’t be coming to Champion Hill next year.
Cool.

Good. They can inflict their surly stewards, segregation and Yaxley-Lennon loving fans on the National League. Hopefully we won’t be seeing them again. On a more pragmatic note, it means we keep another Oystercard and micro-pub away day in the calendar!

I guess the National League South is going to be much harder next year with all Nation League teams demoted ending up in the south!

Because its a joke. Do you want it explained to you?

Or were you replying just for the sake of replying?
No, I was replying because I couldn’t undershot you were suggesting Hayden would go to Wealdstone, as he’s a south of the river manager & has just joined Kingstonian. As for replying for the sake of replying ‘pot & kettle’...

No, I was replying because I couldn’t undershot you were suggesting Hayden would go to Wealdstone, as he’s a south of the river manager & has just joined Kingstonian. As for replying for the sake of replying ‘pot & kettle’...

You asked me a question :facepalm:

Hampton & Richmond Beavers Make Big Changes As A New Structure Announced - The Vanarama National League

It read: “Over the past year, plans to increase the club’s income from a variety of sources have not yet yielded success and, while efforts to secure additional funding will continue, it will be necessary to start the season with a much-reduced playing budget.
Better getting the budget in line before the season starts then risk funding not appearing midway through.

It seems Hemel Hempstead supporters have a beard tax to supplement the playing budget. What do you think about that 12th Man?

Indeed we have a captive audience with hipsters. But you wouldn't need to grow your own because we could sell beards in the Trust mega container. Remember the stoning sketch in The Life of Brian?

Indeed we have a captive audience with hipsters. But you wouldn't need to grow your own because we could sell beards in the Trust mega container. Remember the stoning sketch in The Life of Brian?
No, but I do quite like the appeal of stoning some of our fans... :D

Back
Top Bottom