Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

We Are Staying Up!

It's one of those half-truths that gets repeated until people accept it as fact. I believe the FA have pledged to avoid moving teams in consecutive years unless they wish to but there are certainly precedents for moving clubs again after 2 seasons, and Gloucester and Oxford have each had at least 2 seasons in the South Division.
Ah, right. Ta.

And the Southern League South Play-Off Final is Poole Town v Met Police, having beaten Salisbury and Taunton respectively. Winners play the Isthmian Play-Off winners, semi-finals are tonight.

Carshalton 1 (Adeniyi) Merstham 2 (Figueira, Samuels)
Haringey 1 Tonbridge 2

So it's Tonbridge v Merstham in the Isthmian Premier final on Monday afternoon, winners to play Not Police or Poole for the last place in National South the following Sunday.

At 1-1 in the second half it looked like Carshalton would go on and win as they were creating more chances. Merstham only had Figueria up front. But Carshalton got caught on the break and with Merstham getting numbers behind the ball there was no equaliser. Beaney was immense.

Carshalton 1 (Adeniyi) Merstham 2 (Figueira, Samuels)
Haringey 1 Tonbridge 2

So it's Tonbridge v Merstham in the Isthmian Premier final on Monday afternoon, winners to play Not Police or Poole for the last place in National South the following Sunday.
Well Poole Town is a new ground for me, so I’ll be hoping it’s then... though I’d be happy for it to be Merstham as it’s a nice easy one to get to & Hayden Bird has done a good job there...

Anyone but Met Police. No actual fans and half-arsed protest songs. No thanks.
I missed the last three away fixtures against them, two were in midweek when it's a nuisance to get back with the hourly late evening train service, and the other was a good opportunity for a weekend away doing something different. It's the noisy local dickheads with their own anti--police agenda who turn up for the matches at Champion Hill that I'm keenest to avoid. These idiots cause an unwelcome distraction and spoil a matchday for me.

The only time I've remotely enjoyed visiting that fucking awful place was when the weather made it interesting. But we still lost.

This was the game going on behind the ground:

ghostly-football-surrey-06.jpg

And this was the Hamlet game:

met-police-dulwich-hamlet-nov-2014-01.jpg

met-police-dulwich-hamlet-nov-2014-30.jpg

Dulwich Hamlet’s FA Trophy hopes crushed in the damp and dank mists of Met Police FC

Ghostly football – players hunt the ball in the swirling mists of Surrey

Met Police worth their win this afternoon albeit with a dubious winner. So the playoff final playoff final will be at Imber Court on Saturday.

Of all the teams in the lottery those are the two I was least hoping to get. It's got to be Tonbridge now. Absolutely the only thing in the Plod's favour is that there's never any danger of encountering a minority of idiot opposition supporters, but there's the danger of sausage tossers and other assorted class war pricks with no genuine interest in our club turning up and being a nuisance at the home fixture. It's just a glorified Sunday League club. They've also been a massive bogey club (never beaten them in a league match at our current ground in about 12 attempts ) and on the rare occasions we've won at their place it doesn't especially feel like an achievement due to the lack of atmosphere, it's like winning a 2st Round county cup or pre-season match.

Last edited:

I wasn't their biggest fan, but it's worth remembering that when Meadow booted us out of CH, Met Police were one of the few clubs to get in touch with us and offer us their ground. (I'm sure others on here will know more than me, but I think the others were Tooting (obviously), Carshalton, and Fisher.) All Millwall did was put out a statement full of empty words about how they supported us in our fight against Meadow.

Any club that tried to help us when we were in such trouble will always have huge respect from me. Best of luck to the fuzz. Hope we see them in our division next season.

Looking at the Fuzz’s division Staines had a goal difference -128! Were they playing with 11 strikers!
Staines were undone by their being transplanted into the Southern League and lost pretty much their entire squad as a result. They now a completely amateur side - ie amateur as in unpaid - and have been routinely thrashed every week. I’m not certain whether they will continue next season from what I understand.

Of all the teams in the lottery those are the two I was least hoping to get. It's got to be Tonbridge now. Absolutely the only thing in the Plod's favour is that there's never any danger of encountering a minority of idiot opposition supporters, but there's the danger of sausage tossers and other assorted class war pricks with no genuine interest in our club turning up and being a nuisance at the home fixture. It's just a glorified Sunday League club. They've also been a massive bogey club (never beaten them in a league match at our current ground in about 12 attempts ) and on the rare occasions we've won at their place it doesn't especially feel like an achievement due to the lack of atmosphere, it's like winning a 2st Round county cup or pre-season match.
I have no axe to grind with either club, although neither would’ve been my first choice to join us in NLS. From a travel point of view (and micro pubs) it’s got to be Tonbridge but we’ll have to wait and see.

Staines were undone by their being transplanted into the Southern League and lost pretty much their entire squad as a result. They now a completely amateur side - ie amateur as in unpaid - and have been routinely thrashed every week. I’m not certain whether they will continue next season from what I understand.

Think they've been playing their youth team...

I'm not sure the switch of leagues made much difference. They were taken over by mysterious new owners at the end of last season who proclaimed the usual ambition of aiming for the Football League, they appointed a Spanish manager whose only previous experience of English football was at Biggleswade United, so two levels lower and not even the same locality, he signed a load of players no one had heard of, unsurprisingly made a poor start and was gone soon after. There were issues with the ground and facilities and at one point they didn't have the use of the clubhouse on matchdays. Basically their season has been a shambles on and off the pitch, they wouldn't have survived in the Isthmian Premier under the circumstances, and now they're back in the Isthmian in the South Central Division along with Tooting.

Back
Top Bottom