Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Water Tower for sale...

Saw this was bumped so quickly flicked over to CH4 to be greeted by a urinary tract infection special! :mad:

I wonder if U75 is going to give the wealthy building owner an easier ride than usual this time, on account of him already having posted on the thread.

yeah this is an immense project. i am really enjoying it, can't wait to see the finished building. i suspect the risks will be rewarded, what views.

I like the contrast between the brick tower and the cube bit... What's the facing material on the cube?

Amazing organisation required to bring that all together.

I suppose it's actually a difficulty with filming but I always feel that Grand Designs um, cinematography is more about obscuring than revealing.

Anyway that aside what an amazing building. I wonder if you'd ever get bored of that top room.

Not sure I'd bother with a 6 man bath myself but each to their own.

Also the height combined with the glass would probably leave me feeling uncomfortable most of the time. :facepalm:

That was an interesting enough conversion and a nice transformation, but nothing that most reasonably driven people couldn't do with over 2 million quid to lavish on a project. The only outstanding skill there was one blokes ability to get his hands on enough money.

I was far more impressed by the young couple who converted a dilapidated pumping station, with the lad doing 95% of the work himself working 20 hours a day, and ending up with a fabulous home for a bit over £250k.

That was an interesting enough conversion and a nice transformation, but nothing that most reasonably driven people couldn't do with over 2 million quid to lavish on a project. The only outstanding skill there was one blokes ability to get his hands on enough money.

I was far more impressed by the young couple who converted a dilapidated pumping station, with the lad doing 95% of the work himself working 20 hours a day, and ending up with a fabulous home for a bit over £250k.

I agree; it was a remarkable building and what they did to it was ok (and I think they respected the building) but not particularly remarkable in itself, other than being an extravagant outlay of cash.

It makes me go a bit :mad: when he says "it's amazing what you've achieved"

I realise he made his money himself but he hardly achieved the finished project himself.

I agree; it was a remarkable building and what they did to it was ok (and I think they respected the building) but not particularly remarkable in itself, other than being an extravagant outlay of cash.

When it comes to interior decor there is very little variety between Grand Designs projects. It's been going nearly 15 years. Maybe if I went back and checked more out from earlier series there would be more variety than I remember.

Quite. They've ended up with a great building, albeit an impractical home, but there was no particular engineering or design brilliance. It was an exercise in what can be achieved if you throw enough cash at something.

Great project management to bring it home in 9 months, for sure, but am I correct in thinking that it came in 1 million quid (100%) over their initial budget?

The very 1st one wasn't it? Proper dedication, and the mini-desk thing was :cool:

Personally I'd rather chuck cash at it, if only I had any.

Back
Top Bottom