Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Water Tower for sale...

Nice but a bit out of my price range!

I think that's part of a new development a colleague of mine's brother looked at a flat in.

Don't suppose anyone can remember what the price in the original (long gone) ad back in the OP was, so we can calculate the capital gain and weep?

Bloody hell that's a price and a half!

I saw it being done up on Grand Designs but can't recall the price it was originally bought for.

The roof terrace is fantastic, but couldn't possibly buy it - the lights hanging over the dining table would annoy me to hell, they are like an unravelled tube map.

I like it but it was pretty inconveniently laid out if I recall correctly, and I'm fucked if I'd pay 6.5 million quid to live in Kennington. The lack of privacy would be an issue too, it must be within close sight of at least 2000 other properties. Like living in a goldfish bowl in the sky.

Incredible views though, and the interior is very cool. Good luck to the blokes.

I think it was on the market for a bit over £400k so they bought it for under. Can't remember exactly.

It's a crazy selling price though. It's an odd part of Kennington, a bit of a no man's land between Kennington and Elephant and Castle and in the middle of of a bland new development.

Nothing round here sells for that kind of price. The next most expensive house on the market seems to be this
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/26563170?search_identifier=596b88b0f01dae97f0c9b205434afa1d
Which although a very different types of property has loads more land and is in a much better location. It's been on the market for ages too.

it would be obscene for me to spend all that dosh and end up within a mile of the dump that was my secondary school!

I like it but it was pretty inconveniently laid out if I recall correctly, and I'm fucked if I'd pay 6.5 million quid to live in Kennington. The lack of privacy would be an issue too, it must be within close sight of at least 2000 other properties. Like living in a goldfish bowl in the sky.

Incredible views though, and the interior is very cool. Good luck to the blokes.
HI
I dont get why people think we are over looked. So many people say this and it makes no sense.NO body can see in to the tower , due to the height of the windows and the angel. The tank has tinted reflected glass. And as for the cube 3 flats to the left could see in if they lean there heads out the window. Out last house was on a normal road , with another road behind of normal house all converted in to flats.I would say 30 dwellings could see in . Thanks for you good wishes

I think it was on the market for a bit over £400k so they bought it for under. Can't remember exactly.

It's a crazy selling price though. It's an odd part of Kennington, a bit of a no man's land between Kennington and Elephant and Castle and in the middle of of a bland new development.

Nothing round here sells for that kind of price. The next most expensive house on the market seems to be this
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/26563170?search_identifier=596b88b0f01dae97f0c9b205434afa1d
Which although a very different types of property has loads more land and is in a much better location. It's been on the market for ages too.

HI
Thanks for you view on the value of my Tower. How much is it worth then ? Leigh

HI
Thanks for you view on the value of my Tower. How much is it worth then ? Leigh

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Hopefully someone with loads of money will love it and pay the asking price. But in that area nothing goes for anything like your asking price, so someone will really have to yearn to live there to pay it. The same money can still get something very lovely in Mayfair, Holland Park etc.

Good luck and please do tell us what you do get for it. May well inspire some of us to have a go at doing something so ambitious.

BTW, what's the most number of people you've had in that bath?

Thanks for your interest in my home. What in my home came from Habitat ?
he he, oh, hello there.

The Habitat thing was an off the hand quip that I was never honestly happy with. It's a matter of taste, obviously, but the point I was snidely and clumsily making was that I like the more old-school and traditional brickwork, I'm just not a fan of all the modern glass and homeware. Just looks a bit uncomfortable and more like a show home than a real home.

But, each to their own. I'm the kind of guy who thinks Jonathan Creek's windmill house is something to aspire to :oops:

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Hopefully someone with loads of money will love it and pay the asking price. But in that area nothing goes for anything like your asking price, so someone will really have to yearn to live there to pay it. The same money can still get something very lovely in Mayfair, Holland Park etc.

Good luck and please do tell us what you do get for it. May well inspire some of us to have a go at doing something so ambitious.

BTW, what's the most number of people you've had in that bath?
HI
Indeed nothing like my house in Kennington goes for this sort of money - as there are no others !!!!!!
Ofcourse you could pay 6 milllion for a 3 bedroom flast in Mayfair . I wouldnt - each to there own

I am still trying to fill the bath tub !!

37976_TOW120198_IMG_03_0000_max_620x414.jpg

they want to get their spark back to sort that wiring out...

Bump as they now want just £4.5Million. So that's:
Bought - £300K
Renovations - £2M
Asking price April 2013 - £6.5M
Asking price June 2013 - £4.75M
Asking price July 2014 - £4.5M

I live around the corner and I wouldn't say no to living there but a little outside my price range even with £2M off

Interesting.

As properties are generally snapped up quickly in London I wonder what it is that puts buyers off?
Do you think it's the surrounding area? Maybe for that sort of money people want a bit more privacy?

It's not selling simply because it's overpriced.

They've been asking between £4.5 and £6.5m but it has the following problems that mean it is very unlikely to sell at that level.

- no land/garden
- wrong area - I've lived nearby and it's fine, but if you're spending multi-millions you don't want to be living in the middle of a barrets style housing estate next to Elephant and Castle
- potential for huge maintenance bills - old listed building with access issues which are now much worse then they were when they did the conversion
- not all to well laid out

Something I noticed about it up front is that it does feel very conspicuous and vulnerable. I think that's quite a personal thing as I'm not the kind of guy who likes leaving curtains open for the world to look in either but the building stands out for miles but you can walk right up to it and touch it. The big glass windows at the bottom are quite open to the outside world.

20130419watertower.jpeg

IIRC that green and path isn't a garden or anything that's for the public to walk around. I'm sure the sight-lines have been considered but it just looked vulnerable in a way that I wouldn't feel comfortable with and the kind of people who pay millions for a London pad are often quite security conscious too.

Don't get me wrong it's a great project and I'm sure at £2m they'd sell it no problem. However I suspect they aren't too worried about selling it and just have it on the market on the off chance someone falls in love with it and gives them a couple of million profit. When it's listed at that price they live in a £6.5m house rather then just a £300k one!

Back
Top Bottom