Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

Seems like to the south it reached the protective barriers and is being directed along their edge, towards the sea.

To the west it just reached the road again and is now crossing it.

Aye, seems this one might go one a little bit longer, as the magma also intruded as a dike [about a week ago ?]

Still erupting when I checked the webcams this morning ...
The westward flow has stopped, the southward lava still heading for the sea, but very slowly, so I don't [yet] know if the lava has actually crossed the southern coastal road, but it seems to be heading for the beach / cliffs just east of Grindavik, between there and the few houses [farms] that make up Hraun.

Maybe this belongs in the Lonely Science Post thread, but fuck it.

Ignoring all other scientific projections about what might affect the habitable conditions on this planet over time, if the Earth continues to exist long enough, would the core temperature eventually cool enough for volcanic eruptions to cease? And if so, how would it affect the planet’s ability to sustain life as we know it? Would a cold core and a complete stop to volcanic activity be a dealbreaker for us organic forms of life?

Fairly sized quake this morning, phone alarm went berserk during the damn thing.

Massive quake hits Taiwan

Last time there was a earthquake of comparable magnitude in Taiwan it killed thousands - that the numbers killed are single figures shows how successful they were in tightening up building regulations.

I was in a high rise at the time which was shaking back and forth - very scary at the time but seems that flexibility is what prevents it from collapsing.

To put it into context, the one in Haiti some years ago which killed over 200,000 was 7, and this one was 7.7. Shows how important quality construction is for saving lives.

Quake about an hour ago, the better half felt it but due to current nauseous zoned out ugh feeling, I completely didn't.

Icelandic eruption still going - just two craters are active, the flows are mostly covering earlier deposits - as well as filling up a nearby quarry / mine !

It looks likely that the eruption near to Grindavik has "finished" - the crater was dark overnight and the "smoke" plume today is almost gone.
However, the land rise under Svartsengi is continuing at a steady rate.
Therefore, the risk of another eruption or intrusive [dike or sill] continues and may give little or no warning ...

[Will add a link to the official confirmation report from the Icelandic Met Office, assuming one appears today]

It looks likely that the eruption near to Grindavik has "finished" - the crater was dark overnight and the "smoke" plume today is almost gone.
However, the land rise under Svartsengi is continuing at a steady rate.
Therefore, the risk of another eruption or intrusive [dike or sill] continues and may give little or no warning ...

[Will add a link to the official confirmation report from the Icelandic Met Office, assuming one appears today]
report ...

tl:dr - still looks likely that there will be another eruption ...

Grindavik early warnings triggered today due to a notable uptick in earthquake activity in the most tell-tale locations there.

An eruption is therefore anticipated to take place in the coming hours. However its still not possible to be 100% certain since its also possible that this sequence could end with an intrusion rather than an eruption.

Given the estimated amount of magma accumulating, I was wondering how much longer we would be waiting - that's a long fissure eruption, by the look of it.

I've wound my webcam link back so I can watch full-screen !

Its expanded to the south during its first hour of life. Unless Im misinterpreting the images, it ended up cutting right through the splatter cone from the previous eruption.

Interesting angle on it from this cam too, can see a fair few rivers of lava if look closely (video thumbnail for this stream is misleading, actual view is quite different):

Lots of power in this one, the earthquakes persisted instead of subsiding so I suppose I shouldnt be surprised that more fissure openings have continued to happen so far.

Back
Top Bottom