Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Deer and how to deal with them

They are apex predators though. Which was the point I was actually making.

Not really, they are predators, but Apex predators - by definition - can predate on everything else around them, and have no natural predator of their own Neither a Fox nor a Sea Eagle can predate on a full grown, or even adolescent, Deer or Goat (which are natural parts of our landscape), so they aren't Apex predators in that sense, and they only (exception of the Sea Eagle..) only don't have predators of their own because we shot them all.

In Poland, where I've been living for the last year, the Apex predators are Wolves, Lynx, Bear - there are few bare hills like we see in the UK through overgrazing - and camping in Carpathian mountains is much more exciting than in the Howgills....

Not quite as dramatic as Jurassic Park, perhaps but the strut is not dissimilar :)
True, but it's not that one in front of you need to worry about; but from the side from the other two buzzards you didn't even know were there.

Two buzzards attacking someone's face might not kill them, but you're not going to be feeling their best ;)

True, but it's not that one in front of you need to worry about; but from the side from the other two buzzards you didn't even know were there.

Two buzzards attacking someone's face might not kill them, but you're not going to be feeling their best ;)
Instead of seagulls trying to nick chips, we have hawks going for other snacks on some beaches here!

Wolves will be back sooner or later. The question is whether it's a managed reintroduction or expansion over the channel.

The speed they expanded across France (and then Belgium) outran expectation, but I met people in rural France who had seen wolves establishing themselves in new areas but kept quiet until the new population was established so that the wives were safe.

Wolves will be back sooner or later. The question is whether it's a managed reintroduction or expansion over the channel.

The speed they expanded across France (and then Belgium) outran expectation, but I met people in rural France who had seen wolves establishing themselves in new areas but kept quiet until the new population was established so that the wives were safe.
Wives of wolves?

Back
Top Bottom