Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

I could be wrong but I thought the current eruption has popped out off one of the sides of the volcano, rather than the vent itself? I guess it’s impossible to predict the likely flow direction of any future eruption if you can’t even trust the volcano to have the decency to spew its shit out of its central vent…

iWl7ujBX

Erupting volcanos are of course one of the most amazing visual spectacles in nature, but so much as one can judge it from TV footage, the noise is also amazing. It seems particularly loud with this eruption, I guess it varies depending on the intensity of the eruption, size of vents and how close the footage is being film from. But it must be an epic sensory experience if one is there :cool:

A 5.8 earthquake hit the island of Crete on sept 27, killing one person and now today another one to the SE of the island, 6.3 on the Richter scale! I was there a few weeks ago and didn’t regard it as a dangerous place, but it just goes to show you can’t take things for granted!

Edit: USGS has it as 6.4, this is a big earthquake so hope there’s been no loss of life

Last edited:
England is at risk of earthquakes too, although everyone, including local authority building control, seem to have forgotten. For example there have been two earthquakes in the Dover Straits that caused widespread damage in Kent and London (in 1382 and 1580). If a similar one hits there will be chaos due to our love of thin-walled brick houses.

There is a thread for all volcano and earthquake stuff buried in science & nature:

There is a thread for all volcano and earthquake stuff buried in science & nature:
Much obliged. That’s a better home for this discussion - I’ll ask mods to move it

Searing hot boulders the size of three-storey buildings have flowed down the side of a volcano in the Canary Islands as a string of tremors shook the ground three weeks after it erupted.

The accompanying river of scorching magma, reaching temperatures of up to 1,240C (2,264F), also destroyed the last few properties that remained standing in the village of Todoque on La Palma, according to scientists.

:eek:

Doesn't show any sign of stopping, does it? Looks like an entire portion (the southwestern) of the island will be rendered more or less uninhabitable for a long time

Doesn't show any sign of stopping, does it? Looks like an entire portion (the southwestern) of the island will be rendered more or less uninhabitable for a long time
I think they said it typically erupts for a few weeks at a time, which it seems to have been doing so far. But it's the perils of living on a volcano really - nowt anyone can do about it.

"typically" doesn't really come into it with volcanoes like theses ones I don't think: each eruption is different. the last one was in 1971 or so and it was nothing like as big as this. last time there was an eruption on this scale was in the 1940s but i'm not sure even that was as bad.

granted there are some other volcanoes in the Med which are pretty regular and predictable but these Canary island ones not among them to the best of my knowledge.

that being said the danger of a mega-tsunami does appear to have been vastly exaggerated by a BBC doc 20 years ago -- seems there's fairly little danger of that. but i do wonder if it might wipe out more towns

Back
Top Bottom