Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

Approx 10:30 to 11:00 (BST) I picked up on the announcement that Four more craters / vents have opened this morning [13th April]

The lava appears to be flowing into Geldingadalir rather than Meraldalir ...

Telja fjóra nýja gíga hafa opnast | RÚV (ruv.is) there's a video clip in this news item.

Hopefully the fan map will be updated to reflect this new stage in the eruption.

The fan map says that three new vents today [13th April 2021]:

Fifth system :-
Northern / Southern RAG ; between Sif and Bob ; opened (northern) at 10:35 & 09:32 (southern)
sixth system :-
HEL, which is between Sif & Ulf ; opened 09:53

Someone, I think it was the BBC said something about the eruption calming down about the end of March.
I don't think so, not yet, nor for some time !

It is now becoming apparent that St Vincent faces a humanitarian crisis after the La Soufrière volcano eruption:

EzHnJUoWgAM6zE1

EzBUeuaW8AI6FoV

I thought that it had gone a bit quiet.
So I checked with RUV.

"Nar" (the one nearest the "Bobs") is having a renewed phase of lava fountaining, which has been going on from at least last night.

The overflow from Geldingadlir via the South-East pass itself has an overflow, heading North East into Meradalir .
This is heading towards the flows that were erupted by "FLO" at the beginning of April.

Play this sequence / timeline for more details, quite interesting to see where the flows were spreading, and when.

Umbrotasvæðið á Reykjanesskaga (lmi.is)

found a webcam of Nar (or Moz, if it is a new vent, opened on Nar's flank)

Yeah, been watching that one, since the facebook group got excited about the smoking patch, right of centre, half an hour ago. Possible new vent? Hopefully, but Nar's putting on a great show regardless.

mbl.is have a new "close-up" webcam trained on "Nar" and are using the feed to compile timelapses (often, half a day in 5 minutes).
Nar was puking about every 10 minutes for maybe 2 minutes at a time when I last looked at one of those.

Probably a matter of scale Orang Utan , not helped by the relatively low resolution of some feeds ...

"Nar" is a massive hill now and even a six-foot / 2m guy is going to all but disappear on the slopes.

Last edited:
"Nar" is now trying to fill Natthagi valley with three routes for the lava, which is still going into Meradalir as well

see. : more accurate but not as fast at updating

or the fanmap - usually daily updates

As of 2nd September 2021 "Nar" appears to be having a break from erupting.
Drone overflights are showing an empty crater, and the tremors are not indicating upward magma flows.

This site provides a good overview of various webcams and data links ...

So, that's been a break in visible lava eruptions lasting 9 days (almost twice the previous longest break of 5 days).

Not sure they are "new" vents as such, they look like de-gassing from where a lava tube's outflow is entering a lava lake.

Back
Top Bottom