Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

When I looked last night, the "crater" vent looks to be erupting "under" Nar's North Wall - it could be "Rag" having a blow-out.

Lava lake has migrated further south into Geldingadalir, but not yet spilt over into neighbouring Nattahagi.

Will be checking in shortly to see what has happened so far today.

Came on this thread to post that. La Palma was the last place we went to before the lockdown stuff started. The hotel we stayed at was built on land that didn't exist before another volcano erupted in 1971. The volcanic geography of the island is pretty impressive.

It's good to see the Guardian is on top of its game spotting typos.

1632100666600.png

3000.jpg

what’s the difference? isn’t lava just escaped magma?
Magma is molten rock which contains dissolved gases under pressure as it is below the surface of the ground.
When it is erupted onto the surface, most of that gas escapes [sometimes violently] and becomes lava which [generally] flows away from the crater(s).

There's a whole range of igneous rocks and landforms, depending on whether the magma was intruded somewhere and cooled without reaching the surface or if it was erupted, either as "ash" or lava, and thus cooled after de-gassing ...

so i was right!
Sort of, the de-gassing does make some changes between the magma and the lava.
Both physically and to a lesser extent chemically.

When igneous intrusions cool from magma, the crystals formed are quite a bit bigger and more differentiated when compared with the same chemical mix as a lava which cools more quickly after being erupted.
Quite a complicated subject ...

Isn't the Cumbre Vieja volcano that one they were worried about collapsing into the Atlantic and triggering an enormously destructive tsunami that would basically fuck every coastline in the northern atlantic basin?

A 5.8-6.0 quake in Melbourne - apparently the strongest in almost 200 years.

For some reason I don't associate Australia with earthquakes in my mind.

Last edited:

Lava pours out of volcano on La Palma in Spain's Canary Islands

In La Palma, already 6000 people have left homes, 300 buildings swallowed, and no deaths or injuries so far. Canary Islands of Spain are not developing countries. I don’t know how these people were allowed to live in these areas affected by the erupting volcano. Some houses with swimming pools engulfed. Sparsely populated, however inhabited. Island has 85000 inhabitants. In the 19th and early 20th century, the planning controls may have been slack. In the 21st century, society should be more prepared.

Spectacular event for some tourists and photographers. The authorities and people should have a better idea of what is safe and what is not.

Last edited:
Problem is that volcanoes are unpredictable. This one last erupted 50years ago. They might have thought it was dormant.

Do you prevent people living in Edinburgh or elsewhere just incase that volcano goes off? You'd have to re-home some very large populations around the world. :eek:. :(

I wonder if you can even insure your house if you live in certain areas there…

Unfortunately I can remember any geographical details but a customer from work who lives in Hawaii once told me certain parts (of the main island I guess, but not really sure which one) were considered as relatively safe as one could expect on a volcanic island, whereas in others properties were dead cheap but only because it was almost a given an eruption would pop up every few years or decades at most, and you were as likely as not to see your house devoured by lava.

I wonder if you can even insure your house if you live in certain areas there…

Unfortunately I can remember any geographical details but a customer from work who lives in Hawaii once told me certain parts (of the main island I guess, but not really sure which one) were considered as relatively safe as one could expect on a volcanic island, whereas in others properties were dead cheap but only because it was almost a given an eruption would pop up every few years or decades at most, and you were as likely as not to see your house devoured by lava.
It's like those people who have bought houses on that part of the east cost here that is being eroded - you get a cheap house, and cross your fingers that it will still be there before you die. Many are losing their homes.

It's a bummer for people when it doesn't work out, but I guess some of those people in La Palma have bought/built cheap on a gamble and have lost the bet. I genuinely feel sorry for them though.

In some areas AnandLeo , the only land available to live on, is the flanks of a volcano ...
And in other areas people take the risk of living next to a volcano because the soil that develops in such places is exceptionally fertile.
The current eruption will dictate that it is not good sense for people to live on the flanks of volcano. It will also demarcate a new danger zone far beyond the limits of previous flows. There is no case of living next to a volcano, because it will severely endanger life and property once or twice in 100 years. However, non-resident agricultural farming activities might be feasible without human habitation, in a danger zone. Social, economic and commercial infrastructure in the potentially danger zone should be phased out judiciously.

Back
Top Bottom