Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

4527.jpg

Meanwhile, back in Iceland, all seems quiet on the surface ...

The eruption seems to have entered a paused phase during the last month, still plenty of earthquakes. But they are largely concentrated near Kellir[?] a few miles further North(-ish) of Geldingadailir. [excuse my spelling].

We need some active volcanoes in the UK - much better than fireworks.

No, thanks, much as I like watching 'em on the internet.
I prefer them far enough away from places that they don't kill people or destroy livelihoods.
The UK is too crowded to have room for active volcanoes.

Mesmerising.
So.....is the whole earth filled with bubbling red hot lava all the time, everywhere? And it breaks through occasionally due to movement. I mean are we all on top of that now and how far down is it, or does that vary?

Mesmerising.
So.....is the whole earth filled with bubbling red hot lava all the time, everywhere? And it breaks through occasionally due to movement. I mean are we all on top of that now and how far down is it, or does that vary?
The planet's crust is like a giant scab on top of a massive ball of molten rock. If all humans jumped up and down in one place it would create waves and eventually break the crust.

2-cross-section-of-planet-earth-showing-leonello-calvetti.jpg

008807574_1-2291cff1f3179d30b5abd39dc3ead6a3.png

And they use the molten/solid bits inside to detect earthquakes from around the world - the waves that go through the planet behave differently whether they encounter solid or liquid rock.

maxresdefault.jpg
As though there's not enough going on in the world, I'm now concerned that the crust isn't big enough. 1 to 100km doesn't sound far enough away from the 'bubble gum'.

In the future, buildings will not be constructed from sheet steel and poured concrete, but instead a hollow, heat resistant mould will be placed on the site and an autonomous drone will drill all the way down to the earth‘s core, releasing liquid magma to rise up and fill the mould above ground. Once it cools and sets, the mould will be removed and the solid-as-a-rock building will stand there, ready for final interior fitout.

I might have lied about that ^^
This ^^^

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom