Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Visiting Caernarfon and brushing up on my Welsh

NoXion

Craicy the Squirrel
So I've got a holiday I'll be taking with a friend at the end of the month, and we'll be staying up in Caernarfon. The plan is to climb Snowdon one day and then hit the beach the next day.

Anyone know of any decent beaches around the area? I remember there was this really nice beach with massive dunes on Anglesey that I really enjoyed, I think it was called White Sands? Could be wrong though. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Also, if the weather turns out to be foul, I'm open to suggestions as to alternative activities, preferably nothing too expensive.

Also also, anyone got any tips as to how I can brush up on my Welsh language skills? I reckon my pronunciation is as good as it has ever been, and I still know a fair few words, but I feel like I have forgotten most of the grammar.

iawn cont (how you should greet everyone in Caernarfon)

My tips:

Don't eat your sarnies/chips on the Maes (castle square area), the seagulls are vicious bastards!
Best pint in town at the Black Boy Inn (look for the local "Cwrw Llyn" beers) on draught.
The beach at Llanddwyn has sand dunes and is unbeatable.

:D

So I've got a holiday I'll be taking with a friend at the end of the month, and we'll be staying up in Caernarfon. The plan is to climb Snowdon one day and then hit the beach the next day.

Anyone know of any decent beaches around the area? I remember there was this really nice beach with massive dunes on Anglesey that I really enjoyed, I think it was called White Sands? Could be wrong though. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Also, if the weather turns out to be foul, I'm open to suggestions as to alternative activities, preferably nothing too expensive.

Also also, anyone got any tips as to how I can brush up on my Welsh language skills? I reckon my pronunciation is as good as it has ever been, and I still know a fair few words, but I feel like I have forgotten most of the grammar.
S4C with the subtitles on. Watch continuously from now til then.

iawn cont (how you should greet everyone in Caernarfon)

My tips:

Don't eat your sarnies/chips on the Maes (castle square area), the seagulls are vicious bastards!
Best pint in town at the Black Boy Inn (look for the local "Cwrw Llyn" beers) on draught.
The beach at Llanddwyn has sand dunes and is unbeatable.

:D

Funny you should mention the Black Boy Inn, since I'm staying there for the first night! I remembered seeing the place from when I lived up in north Wales, but I've yet to actually go there. It was also my intention to enquire as to the availability of Welsh ales.

Llanddwyn looks good! How much of a walk is it from Newborough? I don't have a car so will be relying on buses.

Funny you should mention the Black Boy Inn, since I'm staying there for the first night!
Their lamb shank is legendary.

Recommended to me by local colleagues so I had it on a work visit there. Had to pay personally towards it as it was way over my subsistence rate but they were right. It was well worth it.

Funny you should mention the Black Boy Inn, since I'm staying there for the first night! I remembered seeing the place from when I lived up in north Wales, but I've yet to actually go there. It was also my intention to enquire as to the availability of Welsh ales.

Llanddwyn looks good! How much of a walk is it from Newborough? I don't have a car so will be relying on buses.

It's a bit of a walk through the forest, 15 minutes or so, not sure (always used a car or bike).

Yeah the Black Boy is great, popular with tourists and locals alike. The best place in town to get local ale on draught.

Last edited:
Blimey,, this thread prompted me to look up on google maps the holiday cottage we used to stay in just outside Caernafron back in the late 70s/early 80s... it's still there... happy memories..

There's excellent crabbing to be had in Caernarfon harbour - my 7yo caught a Blenny, umpteen shrimps, and about 20 crabs in 2 hours.

She even contributed to the '100% foraging/thieving/staying in hotels' thread...

Back
Top Bottom