Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Viewing twitter without an account

I find Twitter is one of the few avenues left available to complain about goods and services, seek redress, or find out basic information from companies etc, so it's useful to have an account just for that.

Twitter has just become a big blank screen for me. It looks like they've blocked Ghostery (or stopped it from working - I don't know how these things work).

It might make my life a little better.

Ever since I logged off Twitter, I've mainly used private windows to read stuff there. With uBlock Origin you can also use the dropper tool to block out the annoying banner exhorting you to register or log in, freeing up valuable screen space.

Ever since I logged off Twitter, I've mainly used private windows to read stuff there. With uBlock Origin you can also use the dropper tool to block out the annoying banner exhorting you to register or log in, freeing up valuable screen space.
I think I'll just live without it. I doesn't really inspire joy in my life, so I may as well go all Marie Kondo on it.

I still seem to see the bits posted here and that's enough for me.

Ublock Origin and then add this to your filter:

twitter.com##div[role='dialog']
twitter.com##[id$='PromoSlot']
twitter.com##html->body:style(overflow:visible !important;)
twitter.com##html:style(overflow:visible !important;)

Will disable all the popups and blocking

Is there something similar to nitter.net for Instagram?
Also interested. And Facebook.

I don’t have the issue with Twitter as I’m currently using the horrid thing. But I have the same sort of problems people are experiencing with Twitter when folks post insta or Facebook. People just expect you to be able to see what’s in a Facebook or instagram link, but I can’t.

Just wanted to give a shout out to the Fritter app. I have followed a few accounts and can see their streams without needing an account on twitter.

Last edited:
Maybe this is only a problem for serial lurkers like myself, but for ages I'd found that twitter was fairly easy to navigate without needing to have an account. At some point relatively recently they changed that and started putting a big stupid thing telling me to log in everywhere, which was a pain in the arse but I could get around with a bit of effort, and now I'm getting the same box but there's no way to close it, they've just made the place unusable for lurkers. Is anyone else in the same situation, and is there any way around it or should I just take this as a reminder from God that we were not put on this earth to look at twitter?
I've noticed this doesn't happen now when I open the site in a browser that doesn't automatically log me in.

I've noticed this doesn't happen now when I open the site in a browser that doesn't automatically log me in.
Does it happen if you scroll around a bit though? I find when I first look at it it's fine but then if I click around a few times or try to view more than a few tweets from one account I get the box. Nitter fixes it fine though. And "not looking at twitter" still works as well as ever.

If you scroll down a bit then get the sign in box, just click "log in" then another box'll come up that says "Sign in to Twitter." Click off this second box and just carry on!
Job done. :thumbs:
Took me months to suss that one out.

you are better off not looking a shitebook

it bad enough on twitter with people posting dodgy shite

facebook is like "ok my grannie is a racist!"

I use Facebook quite a lot, but for stamp groups.

I'm not sure what my timeline is, never mind post on it.

Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom