Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VAR - The Poll

Y/N

• Yes

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
Yes I realized after something littlebabyjesus said on another thread that I use replays for different things for football and rugby. Football it's usually to see whether a defender's intentionally tried to take someone's leg off while for rugby it's to work out what the rules are really and how the hell the ref has seen something happening underneath a mess of bodies.

Does show to me how arrogant the Football Associations are, they ignored a perfectly usable rugby-type system to invent their own unusable pile of shit.

It's stopped Ronaldo et al whipping off their shirts and doing a lap so I'm all for it.

In all seriousness though, how far back are they allowed to go to see if there was an infringement in the leadup to a goal? Because I guarantee if you nitpicked and went back a minute or two you'd find something.

Looks a very similar percentage to the Brexit vote. Potential for similar divisiveness there'll be people who don't talk to other people :(

In all seriousness though, how far back are they allowed to go to see if there was an infringement in the leadup to a goal? Because I guarantee if you nitpicked and went back a minute or two you'd find something.

In the Palace/Villa game today Benteke was almost through in the 90th minute and had his shirt pulled. It wasn't noticed. In seconds, Villa had a potentially match equalising free kick up the other end.

Mistakes happen.

But VAR isn't stopping this so where indeed does VAR start and finish? (And take 5 minutes to do so).

It's rubbish. Remove the technology and let's get back to proper human error and common sense over pointing fingers being offside or not.

Having watch MotD for the first time in years during lockdown and supporting a non-league team where there is no VAR, I'd still take the latter's 'that was never a penalty' over the bafflement and intrigue that comes with the former. Basically, VAR doesn't introduce the certainty it was meant to.

Having watch MotD for the first time in years during lockdown and supporting a non-league team where there is no VAR, I'd still take the latter's 'that was never a penalty' over the bafflement and intrigue that comes with the former. Basically, VAR doesn't introduce the certainty it was meant to.

Who do you support?

Who do you support?
Torquay United.

Play-offs for us, I think, after this weekend's results. Good luck to Sutton, but the National League this season has been a bit of a lottery with the injuries incurred through two games a week and the lack of relegation pressure on some teams.

I'm Woking. Thought you were going to do it this season for ages but good luck if it is the play-offs. I'm scared about relegation next season, really don't want to drop to the National League South yet again.

Torquay United.

Play-offs for us, I think, after this weekend's results. Good luck to Sutton, but the National League this season has been a bit of a lottery with the injuries incurred through two games a week and the lack of relegation pressure on some teams.
Ah v Stockport County ?

I don't know how anyone can call for the end of VAR after it produced one of the greatest FA cup moments, yesterday. Seeing all those Chelsea fans' dreams cruelly dashed was life-affirming.

I'm Woking. Thought you were going to do it this season for ages but good luck if it is the play-offs. I'm scared about relegation next season, really don't want to drop to the National League South yet again.

It's a lot more fun lower down - I hated my trip to Woking's ground with its rip off prices, segregation, over-staffed stroppy security, no bar. silent fans and multiple bag searches. Fuck that.
The result was nice though :)

It needs improving but keep it. Pre VAR people were always arguing over controversial decisions going against them, now there should be no
room for argument. There is so much at stake, the uncertainty needs removing.

In the Palace/Villa game today Benteke was almost through in the 90th minute and had his shirt pulled. It wasn't noticed. In seconds, Villa had a potentially match equalising free kick up the other end.
I am sure the radio coverage said Zaha - they said he should have kept going which would have made it really
clear to the ref. The result was right in the end. Players are always too quick to claim penalties, fouls Etc.

I also think they should do away with penalties to decide matches and introduce golden goals but thats a different debate.

Back
Top Bottom