Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US President Biden inauguration, Weds 20th Jan 2021 - news, build-up and protests

Yeah that puzzled me too but I think he was wearing mittens at the inauguration and someone did a meme about it and it took off.
Something that happens fairly regularly in my experience of the internet is that I see people making references to an argument happening somewhere, and I have no idea what they're talking about, and also breathe a deep sigh of relief that I have no idea what's going on. Someone once memorably compared it to being on a boat and seeing the fin of a shark and knowing there's this terrifying creature that you've just narrowly avoided. Anyway, the most recent example of that for me was seeing people discussing the controversy over 'whether it was misogynist for Bernie to wear mittens at the inauguration'.

Is this the one? To save others from googling :)

I think so, yes, or at least that's the first thing I found when I gave in and googled as well.
"I love Bernie, really I do, but sir: beauty work is not beneath you. Not feeling it? Fucking show a little more leg for one minute, like many women do."

This is such a weird thing. I'm not on Twitter, is this a Trump/alt right thing or a centrist thing? Weird machismo that mocks a man for wearing mittens.

I saw him interviewed about the memes, he's greatly amused, and is actually selling sweatshirts on his campaign site, with profits going to charity.

2k.png

Isn't it also a bit of a reaction to the way a lot of the coverage of the thing seemed to treat it vapidly as if it were a fashion show?

It was a fashion show. Take this for instance.

1611669275209.png

The bag she's carrying is a $75,000 crocodile skin Birkin bag. Her entire ensemble is worth more than my house. And, the democrats were only slightly better. People are jobless, homeless, and hungry, and they think this display of excess is really appropriate? I don't think they need to show up in sackcloth, but this level of conspicuous consumption is silly.

It was a fashion show. Take this for instance.

View attachment 251508

The bag she's carrying is a $75,000 crocodile skin Birkin bag. Her entire ensemble is worth more than my house. And, the democrats were only slightly better. People are jobless, homeless, and hungry, and they think this display of excess is really appropriate? I don't think they need to show up in sackcloth, but this level of conspicuous consumption is silly.
It's sickening isn't it? Fortunately you don't see it too much in the UK...

8A964A09-A43F-406B-BE9D-38F1EB129EF5.jpeg

I'm not sure if the bernies mittens thing taking off is a comment on much - it's just the simple and universal joy of the eccentric uncle turning up to a formal event - possibly the most formal event - in a defiantly non-formal outfit. It blew up because we all have that uncle, and we all love and are a bit jealous of his lack of interest in what the done thing is.

I'm not sure if the bernies mittens thing taking off is a comment on much - it's just the simple and universal joy of the eccentric uncle turning up to a formal event - possibly the most formal event - in a defiantly non-formal outfit. It blew up because we all have that uncle, and we all love and are a bit jealous of his lack of interest in what the done thing is.

Yeah, my nieces think that about me. :D

Great description - I'd been a bit puzzled by the huge reaction but I think that encapsulates it :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom