Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urbanites in Brum...

stuff_it

Too skool for cool
Looks like I will definitely be moving to Birmingham towards the end of September. I'm going to go in halls for my first year just to save hassle really.

I don't really know Birmingham at all though and will doubtless need a few pointers, drinking companions etc.

Visit the local Indian and Chinese supermarkets for much cheapness 'erbs & spices and fings which I think you've sussed already. Day saver tickets on the buses make for big savings or better yet, get a monthly bus travel card. The outdoor Bullring market has silly prices for fruit and veg on a Saturday afternoon cos they just wanna shift stuff.

Oh and I know you're avoiding certain foods but Ming Moons does a bloody lovely Chinese buffet for 8 quid as a few urbs will testify to.

Visit the local Indian and Chinese supermarkets for much cheapness 'erbs & spices and fings which I think you've sussed already. Day saver tickets on the buses make for big savings or better yet, get a monthly bus travel card. The outdoor Bullring market has silly prices for fruit and veg on a Saturday afternoon cos they just wanna shift stuff.

Oh and I know you're avoiding certain foods but Ming Moons does a bloody lovely Chinese buffet for 8 quid as a few urbs will testify to.
I'm not expecting to have to take the bus much as I'm going into halls that are actually on the campus, which is next to the city centre. I was planning to leave my car at home.

Well it's just that getting round the city centre is fine by walking but places like Cape Hill, which has a great Indian supermarket, are busable. And also on errand days when you want to get to places quickly, or late at night come to that. Okay let's just say I like the buses in Brum. Most of the time.

Well it's just that getting round the city centre is fine by walking but places like Cape Hill, which has a great Indian supermarket, are busable. And also on errand days when you want to get to places quickly, or late at night come to that. Okay let's just say I like the buses in Brum. Most of the time.
I'm also planing to have my bike. I never said that I wouldn't use any buses but I tend to avoid them in favour. I remember years ago when I was on the road protest there (BNRR/M6 toll) the buses were cheaper and better run than the ones in Nottingham.

Get the student bus pass; unfortunately it only runs termly, not yearly, but it is cheaper than the monthly. Your uni should have advice about that though.

I'm not expecting to have to take the bus much as I'm going into halls that are actually on the campus, which is next to the city centre. I was planning to leave my car at home.

Problem is, all the supermarkets in the city centre are ludicrously expensive, and have a very tiny selection of frozen food etc. - only good for small shopping trips ie "What do I fancy from M&S tonight that will cost a fuckton of money?"

If you need a big shop, you'll need to head to out of town. Same applies with shopping - city centre is the same as practically every other high street, all anodyne and corporate and expensive - if you want to find anything interesting head out to places like Harborne, Bearwood, Erdington, Kings Heath. The markets are good too.

Best way to get around in a day is either the daily daysaver (£3.80 all day from start of service to midnight) - or there is an off-peak pass. These are valid 930-1530 and 1800 onwards (not suitable for commuters then), you can get bus only or bus / rail versions.Bus only off-peak works out about £10.50 a week, or £19 for 2 week. Covers you everywhere on the buses from in Birmingham Coventry , Wolverhampton, Walsall, Dudley, Sutton Coldfield, Halesowen, Merry Hill.

However, if you don't use buses, this is all academic, as purenarc points out.Forgot about student passes though!

Get the student bus pass; unfortunately it only runs termly, not yearly, but it is cheaper than the monthly. Your uni should have advice about that though.
I honestly don't think I will use the bus often enough for it to be necessary. Aston Uni is right next to the city centre and less than a mile from BNS to get home. I will be living on campus - I won't need to get around on public transport regularly.

Problem is, all the supermarkets in the city centre are ludicrously expensive, and have a very tiny selection of frozen food etc. - only good for small shopping trips ie "What do I fancy from M&S tonight that will cost a fuckton of money?"

If you need a big shop, you'll need to head to out of town. Same applies with shopping - city centre is the same as practically every other high street, all anodyne and corporate and expensive - if you want to find anything interesting head out to places like Harborne, Bearwood, Erdington, Kings Heath. The markets are good too.

Best way to get around in a day is either the daily daysaver (£3.80 all day from start of service to midnight) - or there is an off-peak pass. These are valid 930-1530 and 1800 onwards (not suitable for commuters then), you can get bus only or bus / rail versions.Bus only off-peak works out about £10.50 a week, or £19 for 2 week. Covers you everywhere on the buses from in Birmingham Coventry , Wolverhampton, Walsall, Dudley, Sutton Coldfield, Halesowen, Merry Hill.

However, if you don't use buses, this is all academic, as purenarc points out.Forgot about student passes though!
When you say 'big shop' I take it you mean more than I could fit in a rucksack? Why would I need all that in one go? I can happily cycle or walk with a couple of 5kg bags of rice or whatever and a few lighter ingredients. I'm only feeding myself!

I honestly don't think I will use the bus often enough for it to be necessary. Aston Uni is right next to the city centre and less than a mile from BNS to get home. I will be living on campus - I won't need to get around on public transport regularly.

By the way, with the switch over to the new Birmingham Central Library, don't rely on it to get anything you need. Apparently its been built too small and they are using it as an excuse to dispense with vast quantities of stock, anything thats not been taken out in the past year is being discarded plus large amounts of collections and stuff.

Easiest large place for shopping then would be the Morrisons by the BCFC ground (twenty mins walk from there) I reckon.

By the way, with the switch over to the new Birmingham Central Library, don't rely on it to get anything you need. Apparently its been built too small and they are using it as an excuse to dispense with vast quantities of stock, anything thats not been taken out in the past year is being discarded plus large amounts of collections and stuff.

Easiest large place for shopping then would be the Morrisons by the BCFC ground (twenty mins walk from there) I reckon.
Cool, Morrisons are pretty good about labelling and stuff.

I'm studying engineering, so I wouldn't expect a council library to have much in the way of what I need at all anyway. The one on campus is about 2 mins from my halls and open 24 hours for much of the year.

Stuffs would have liked that I reckon :(

In fact I'd be surprised if you haven't already been?
Is that the club I got lost in after Birmingham RTS in the late 90s? FML I was wasted, no idea how I got back to site. :oops: :facepalm: :D

Wagon & Horses in Digbeth is the venue for all things crusty/punk/underground
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001500121297
I mainly prefer DnB, Jungle, etc but some of my best mates are punks and crusties.... :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom