Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban Radio up and (test) running - anyone up for it?

ska invita

back on the other side
OldTimeRadio.jpg

HI all,

I've been planning to do this for months now, and have finally managed to get things off the ground. Basically, I've set up a shoutcast radio station to be affiliated with u75 - provisional name for it is 'The Urb' (any other good name ideas, please suggest).

The plan is to open it up for people to put together their mixes, send them over to me, and I'll stick them up on the station.

Its a streaming station, so we'd all be listening to the same thing - no skipping!

Music policy is across the board, but I'll be doing a bit of programming decisions. For now I've put up a few mixes that were hanging aroung the 'Urbanite DJ mixes' thread, plus some private ones of mine.

Current Urb playlist includes:
Randy & Earl - Honky Tonk Mix
Kershey - Hip Hop
Placid - DUbstep, Acid and Minimal Mixes
Skim - Use It mix
noyeahno - sickstep mix
Tendril - 2 tone
plus some DnB, reggae and random mixes by me (as Mikus)

-if anyone is unhappy about having their mixes being used, please let me know, and I'll remove them.

HOW TO LISTEN
The station is ready to list to now! Here's what you do:

1. Follow this link:
www.tinyurl.com/theurb
and save the file to your desktop (rename it to The Urb for future reference)

2. Double click on it and should play in any of the following players:
itunes winamp VNCplayer + other - but please note it does not play in Windows Media Player.
If you dont have the above players, download winamp - its free:
www.winamp.com

HOW TO SUBMIT A MIX:

For now PM me with a link to download it.

SOME PLANS FOR THE FUTURE:

-A website with tracklistings (if you supply the trackslisting I'll put them up), and a programme of what currently playing on The Urb

-Jingles: If people are up for it maybe we could all make some jingles, and share them around, so we can but some station IDs on our mixes - could be fun

- It would be great if, as I seem to remember happened in once before, someone put together a show a selection of urbanites own tunes - which could go up on the station as well.

SOME SHORT TERM LIMITATIONS

I need to see how much bandwidht we have on the server Ive been given (free) access to. At the moment I have set the maximum amount of listeners at one time to 10, and the broadcast quality to 128kbps. This will be monitored, and hopefully there will be room for improvement as we go along. Should be up to 50 by the end of the week.

...it's early days, but I think this could be a lot of fun! Still working out a few technical hitches, so bare with me.

All urbanites up for this say aye!

you could get away with dropping the quality

i think when i was foing a little shoutcast streaming for the char room i could get away with 3 or 4 conmnections with the rate at 48k witch is a bit speaker in other room quality but not bad

mind you that was basic adsl connection

Sweet :) I always did think the only thing stopping this happenning was nobody being arsed. So well done for being arsed :)

I'm sure we can work out a way to integrate this a bit tighter with the 'mothership' too :)

Good work sir!

I listen to stations online at 24k and it's perfectly acceptable to my ear.

I remember my days of online DJ'ing... used to be a lot of fun, but took up too much time.

can I do a hip hop set sometime ? I've got a massive rare collection.

how would I go about it, what do I have to do ?

I would not mind throwing a mix your way for fun :)

I actually had a small (50 slot) shoutcast station a while back. It was good fun if a few people were around. I used to just skin up, select tunes and drink a few tins. Good times :)

This is the best thing that's come through my speakers in a long time:cool:

The whole house be pumpin:cool:

well the kids eventually went to bed after a good bounce:cool:

I would not mind throwing a mix your way for fun :)

I actually had a small (50 slot) shoutcast station a while back. It was good fun if a few people were around. I used to just skin up, select tunes and drink a few tins. Good times :)

What is this ' Shoutcast station ' of which you speak?

Back
Top Bottom