Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban Chilli Lovers Club

is it really too late in the year? I was gonna grow some but haven't even started yet....
Na not too late to sow seeds if you're quick and don't expect big plants. I usually start indoors in Jan in heated propagators on a sunny windowsill. But then I'm growing to plant outside so I'm really looking to have the plants a decent size when I put them out end of April to mid May. This is about as late as I would go for seeds though.

To be honest though if you want to cut it short by a month or two shop about in the supermarkets and garden centres as currently there are loads of decent plug plants available cheap. ;)

15550174323212241224349114895414.jpg

You know it's become an obsession when everyone's gone to bed and your still potting on your plugs:oops:

My order from world of chillies got fucked up so I sent them a condesending snotty email. They got their own back by sending me a double order plus extras for my distress.

50 fucking plants on top of what I'd already started with :mad:

I now have all the record breakers for Scoville :facepalm:

We're gonna need a bigger windowsill. :oops:

What types are you growing friedaweed? Very jealous. I don't get enough sun in the garden to make chilis go red unless it's a proper scorcher.
The list thus far is

1. Carolina Reaper

2. Butch Trinidad Scorpion

3. Bhut Jolokia

4. Morouga Scorpion

5. Chocolate Douglah

6. Red Seven Pot

7. Jalepeno

8. Cheyenne F1

9. Habanero Paper Lantern

10. Cayenne

11. Gusto Purple

12. Hot Shakira

13. Hot Banaba

14. Sweet Banana

15. Pimiento

16. Tabasco

17. Peter Pepper

18. Royal Black

19. Pequin Red

20. Folios Blue

21. Thai Lemon Drop

22. Thai Hot

23. Apache F1

24. Aji Charapita

25. Hungarian Hot Wax

26. Kashmiri Mirsh

27. Pimenta De Neyde

28. Scotch Bonnet Scotch Bonnet

29. Bulgarian

30. Takinotsume

31. Ecuadorian Devils Breath

32. Carolina Reaper Chocolate

33. 7 pot Yellow

:oops: :D

Last edited:
The list thus far is

1. Carolina Reaper

2. Butch Trinidad Scorpion

3. Bhut Jolokia

4. Morouga Scorpion

5. Chocolate Douglah

6. Red Seven Pot

7. Jalepeno

8. Cheyenne F1

9. Habanero Paper Lantern

10. Cayenne

11. Gusto Purple

12. Hot Shakira

13. Hot Banaba

14. Sweet Banana

15. Pimiento

16. Tabasco

17. Peter Pepper

18. Royal Black

19. Pequin Red

20. Folios Blue

21. Thai Lemon Drop

22. Thai Hot

23. Apache F1

24. Aji Charapita

25. Hungarian Hot Wax

26. Kashmiri Mirsh

27. Pimenta De Neyde

28. Scotch Bonnet Scotch Bonnet

29. Bulgarian

30. Takinotsume

31. Ecuadorian Devils Breath

32. Carolina Reaper Chocolate

33. 7 pot Yellow

:oops: :D
thanks for telling us about your cannabis, but what chillies are you growing this season?

I'm gearing up to make a hot sauce with habaneros, and fresh peach and pineapple. Does the fruit need to be ripe?

I'm thinking no, because the ingredients are going to be cooked for a while anyway, and that will bring out the fruity flavours...

My chilli plants have been planted outside now. About 9 plants in total, but some are so spindly they wouldn’t stand up without being tied alongside a stake, so not sure how they will cope when pummelled with a rain shower.

If I end up with 2 or 3 successful fruiting plants then that’s a win for me.

My chilli plants have been planted outside now. About 9 plants in total, but some are so spindly they wouldn’t stand up without being tied alongside a stake, so not sure how they will cope when pummelled with a rain shower.

If I end up with 2 or 3 successful fruiting plants then that’s a win for me.
mine only just started peaking through the soil. I guess i started well to late in the yeatr.

I'm trying to not grow so many this year because I ended-up with far too many last year and even giving bags and bags away still left me a lot to dispose of. Plus I want to fit a couple of other things in there this summer.

So, there are just three types, from seed and at 4-6 inches high - Jalapeño, Scorpion and Habanero plus grafted peppers and my overwintered grafted plants - but the recent cold snap saw one of the overwintered plants die and the other look a bit peaky but it recovered and is actually beginning to fruit after I parked it in my living room window.

And out of nowhere, on the coldest night of the spring so-far, a fucking snail came from nowhere and ate the growing-tip off the pepper plant. So I've got two more to replace it!

I always ask for plenty of chillis when I go out for a curry.

Glad to see they listened for once:

IMG-20190530-212003913.jpg

:thumbs:

How are everyone’s chilli plants doing? Most of mine faded away tbh, I have about three which might be viable but on checking this morning I saw my largest one had tiny ants crowding around the tips. Mr Google suggests sprinkling some chilli powder on the soil around the plant to discourage the ants, who are apparently engaged in farming aphids on my chilli plant.

Any of you more experienced growers got any tips for this situation please?

A4DD45F1-247E-4D39-AD79-E3B7B09802D1.jpeg

How are everyone’s chilli plants doing? Most of mine faded away tbh, I have about three which might be viable but on checking this morning I saw my largest one had tiny ants crowding around the tips. Mr Google suggests sprinkling some chilli powder on the soil around the plant to discourage the ants, who are apparently engaged in farming aphids on my chilli plant.

Any of you more experienced growers got any tips for this situation please?

View attachment 174645
I make a solution with ivory soap, chilli powder and tobacco (Fag ends steeped in water). I just spray that on the fuckers.

It looks like ants are farming aphids on your plants to me which isn't a massive problem and kinda cool in one one way.

Being crap at growing anything I bought two chilli plants.

IMG_20190820_161720680.jpg IMG_20190820_161713949.jpg

Bonus points if you can name the varieties :beer:

Is one of those a tricolour? I got one of those and it's done almost nothing since I got it over 2 months ago. Think it may be because I didn't harden it off and there were some cold nights... similar story with the other chilli plants too :(

I've been making some very good sauces with roasted tomatoes and garlic and dried habanero peppers.

They are store in the fridge and consume within 1 week, but really nice as marinade or a hot or cold dipping sauce.

Nate bought home some scotch bonnet sauce from the restaurant where he has been working as a line chef this week, and it is delicious but OMG, my heat tolerance stops at hot hot, rather than hot hot hot hot! It did taste really delicious though, I find scotch bonnets have a particular taste, and that came through really well. Then I was worried about my upper gastric tract.

Back
Top Bottom