Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban Chilli Lovers Club

Bung a load of Chillis in a kilner jar. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of salt depending on size. Fill almost to the brim with water, with a small air gap. If you have another little pot of something to go in the top of the jar to weigh them down that's even better. Leave for as long as you can. Three weeks is enough though. Adding whole Cloves of peeled garlic optional.

Drain the Chillis and garlic, blend the shit out of it. Add the water you fermented it in to get it to your desired thickness.

If you are a bit of a wuss or have mentally hot Chillis, you could also ferment some peppers for the mix to tone it down a bit.
Cheers :thumbs:.

Got a massive Kilner full of chillies, garlic and a few diced peppers.

Our greenhouse is almost finished. Not only that but I bought a copy of the Royal Horticultural Societys book The Red Hot Chilli Grower and my other half has taken an intrest. Which is excellent as she went to college and now grows stuff professionally, so I'm hoping for some decent results.

I bought some little chilli plants from a garden center a few weeks ago, but think im far to late to get the serious ones growing this year?

I got my first batch of a chilli jam under my belt last night - Apple/chilli, using all chillies from my greenhouse.

Initial tests seem delicious and nicely sweet/hot but I may have heated it too long, so it will set too well. It kind-of looked like The Blob when I poured! :oops:

So I've repeated the process again but with pear and apple. That should make for a softer jam.

Next challenge wil be a clear jelly but I may do a repeat of the initial batch for a softer set first instead. :)

If these work, I may need a bigger pan as I can only make about half a dozen jars each time and they won't last long!

I got my first batch of a chilli jam under my belt last night - Apple/chilli, using all chillies from my greenhouse.

Initial tests seem delicious and nicely sweet/hot but I may have heated it too long, so it will set too well. It kind-of looked like The Blob when I poured! :oops:

So I've repeated the process again but with pear and apple. That should make for a softer jam.

Next challenge wil be a clear jelly but I may do a repeat of the initial batch for a softer set first instead. :)

If these work, I may need a bigger pan as I can only make about half a dozen jars each time and they won't last long!

Sounds great, you should post some pics!

I've got a jar in the fridge that some friends made, but can never decide what to use it with. The only thing I've put it with so far is burgers.

Here is the finished product:

46851896.7d958113.jpg

I'll photograph the process when ive got it off-pat.

Now I just have to sit on my hands for two weeks until its matured properly. :(

Chilli jam goes with so many things - burgers/steaks, yes but many meats, hot and cold, plus it goes superbly with cheeses, hummus etc, esp the sweet/hot types.

The pear/chilli jam is just about perfect and tastes delicious, with the chill kicking in slow and warm after a great sweet/sour pear taste.

It has lost a bit more chill punch than in the two weeks sitting than I expected, so next time I will use a bit more chilli's - maybe half as much again or a hotter variety.

The apple chilli was a bit overset but could still be spooned and went very well with venison, cheese and fried chicken, less so with a pie and chips.

I made another batch of chilli sauce this week (sorry no photo) because I appear to have started using them as pasta sauces - hey! let's pour a whole jar over this - I really should be sectioned. Anyway, I *PROMISED* myself that I'd make it less stupidlyfuckinghot than the last couple of batches.

...and I failed :(

For those of you old enough to remember, tackling my chilli sauce is starting to resemble this:

cainekungfu.jpg

Finally cracked the pineapple-chilli jam tonight and the wait was worth it - all the flavours, esp the garlic have settled-in nicely, the chilli itself has lost less punch than the last two jams but the pineapple/ginger/rum gives it a nice cool, then warming taste, before the chilli kicks-in.

OK, it was the underfilled jar I opened first but there ain't much left after the two of us had a good "sampling" :oops: :)

It's a great year for chilli growing, most years they won't fruit unless in a greenhouse or cold frame.

View attachment 134181 View attachment 134180 I’ve been refining my sauce for years and reckon I’ve got it about right. Each batch is made from home-grown flavourful super-hots (Naga, Habanero, Peach Scorpion, Moruga, etc.) at very high ratio of chilli (70%) to other ingredients (compared to many other commercial sauces). The resulting sauce is pretty intense but is very good at enhancing food and can be used in minuscule quantities to pep up just about anything. This strength means it is packed in very small jars so I have several friends who, like me, habitually carry a small jar in pockets/handbags in case there’s a need for added heat e.g. when I’m at the MIL’s place for dinner
Sounds like you're deliberately (or subconsciously) trying to create the conditions for a 70's sitcom subplot, in which your Mother-in-law unwittingly mistakes the contents of your little jar for cat food / thrush medication / the vicar's sandwich spread, etc. :eek: :D

Quick question folks: would a dried Carolina Reaper be hotter, less hot or about the same as a fresh Carolina Reaper?

Rather worryingly I'm considering having one of the dried ones in my morning porridge so I need to know whether to have the local GP on speed-dial.

Been growing some carolina reaper in the garden. Gave my mate a tiny sliver of the one I picked a week ago or so and his eyes and nose started instantly running! The thing is nowhere near ripe either as it's totally green. I would say properly ripened carolina reapers are things to be reckoned with!

That's eleven jars of Pineapple/Chilli jam laid aside now.

Basic recipe is pineapple, home-grown chillies, apple and lemon (for setting), ginger, garlic and Barbados rum.

I bought a couple of jars of chilli jam the other day - one pineapple based with Carolina Reaper chillies, the other tomato based with ordinary chillies. Not tried them yet but will report back.

SomeB35649AB-5016-45EC-BF15-FFF55F8A8282.jpeg advice please team chilli. My two plants (Pepsi and Shirley) won't be getting much more sun this year. They are normally in the conservatory but I've put them outside today to get some rays.

Will they grow any more this year? They both have 12-13 chillies but only one small one has turned yellow. The rest are all green.

Should I pick them yet or will they grow more / change colour?

Been growing some carolina reaper in the garden. Gave my mate a tiny sliver of the one I picked a week ago or so and his eyes and nose started instantly running! The thing is nowhere near ripe either as it's totally green. I would say properly ripened carolina reapers are things to be reckoned with!

I'm not sure if all the chillis which we think are carolina reaper are carolina reaper because most of them don't have that typical sucked in bit at the bottom of the chilli - though some have appeared which do have this!! :eek:

Am thinking of making a hot sauce with pineapple and lime, hopefully in an effort to tame them slightly so that they can be enjoyed.

Would I be right in assuming that making a hot sauce can reduce the overall hotness as compared to just adding chillies to dishes, if sufficient other ingredients are included in the hot sauce? :hmm:

JustChillies.co.uk were at the Pershore Plum festival yesterday with their full range of chilli sauces. My wife groaned and said "I'll come back for you later".

Naturally I started with the hottest sauce they had on display - the Trinidad Scorpion - which, I have to admit was a little warm but not terribly tasty in my opinion. However, they had two further sauces behind the counter - God Slayer (6.5 million Scoville units) and Regret (12 million Scoville units). To be fair they did suggest just having a sniff and not actually tasting it. Being an idiot I therefore had to try both.

My advice to you, gentle reader, would be not to try either. If you want to simulate the effect then, next time you're having a barbecue pop one of the glowing charcoal briquettes into your mouth.

Back
Top Bottom