Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Upstairs At The Department Store (restaurant)

also, being a Yuppie surely isn't based on income / social status, but a life style choice. one that has rarely if never contributed to the good of the wider community.
Ah okay, in that case this is my mistake. That wasn't my understanding of the word. I thought it was a young middle class person with a well paid job. Forgive me for that, and feel free to ignore my other points.

Edit: Although Mirriam-Webster defines a yuppie as "a young college-educated adult who is employed in a well-paying profession and who lives and works in or near a large city" - it doesn't mention anything about someone who rarely if ever contributes to the good of the wider community, but words are flexible and that's what makes them so fun.

Last edited:
"It would be a terribly dull place if everyone Upstairs was the same, I hope you agree"

If this means they've been going for diversity with their current members; they've failed.
I can't think of anything duller than a club that limits its membership to those with plenty of disposable income and keeps out poor people and prices out local struggling artists, musicians etc. The fact that they've set up in one of the poorest and most deprived wards in London only makes it worse.

Ah yes that's a good point thanks - the Blue Room at PoW is intended for 6 people at £240 - so not really for 40+ people.
In which case, that’s hugely unethical. 56 standard units between 6 people? That’s 8 units apiece - more than double the accepted recommended daily limit for both men and women.

0569356D-2EF4-4DB5-9FF1-8A1C44E0DD1C.jpeg

Last edited:
also, being a Yuppie surely isn't based on income / social status, but a life style choice. one that has rarely if never contributed to the good of the wider community.

Yuppie to me is a demographic rather than 'lifestyle choice'.

If it's a lifestyle choice, what are the choices made that lead to the designation?

I may be missing a point here, but to clarify, the bit of this quote that I agreed with,

"Rather than writing lengthy posts in support of Squires & Partners, who are quite literally the architects of the gentrification of that section of Brixton, why not spend that time researching some of the issues around gentrification, housing & poverty?"

Was that I need to spend more time researching some of the issues around gentrification, housing and poverty. I don't think I've agreed that S&P are helping to set a precedent, and I also haven't said that their membership requirements are cheap. I said that for some, in the context of private membership, £23 per month isn't a lot of money.

I agree with most of what you write. I think your point about S&P "inevitably setting a precedent and normalise a life style and an attitude that shows little respect for existing social structures... embrac[ing] the privatisation of culture and normalises exclusion", is really very interesting. I doubt that was ever their intention and I often find myself coming over Kantian when it comes to cause, effect, and intention, but it may well be that by moving to Brixton, S&P have helped to normalise a lifestyle and an attitude that shows little respect for existing social structures - but does this mark S&P out from many other businesses that have set up in Brixton over the last 150 years? If the argument is anti-capitalist, then okay, I get it. Let's have that argument, but I feel comfortable that the overall impact, in the wider context of a 21st century capitalist nation, of S&P investing millions of pounds in Brixton, and creating jobs (a number of businesses operate out of the space that S&P re-developed) is a good thing for Brixton - maybe not your Brixton, this person's Brixton, or that person's Brixton - but Brixton will outlive us all, and we will scarcely recognise it as ours for longer than a decade.

Your agreeing with 3Zeros then in last paragraph saying S&P coming here is something you are "comfortable" with.

Surely if you say you want to do more "research" you are neutral on S&P coming here?

I will have to go now, shit to do, and also I have little interest in POW or Cairo.
what impact private investment and employment has and will have not only on certain areas, but on (the mind set of) society on the whole is a discussion I can't get into atm due to time restrictions.

Thanks for your contributions so far.

As long time poster here on Brixton forum section of U75 the debate on gentrification has gone through several stages over the years since I first posted here.

• Opposing it when I first joined ( the reason I joined)
  • Arguing its only few places.
  • Saying one is complicit as one helped to make area fashionable. The its so complicated argument.
  • Now its moved to argument I see in recent pages here . That business are regenerating area that was derelict. ( It wasn't. This is down to cuts/ austerity as 3Zeros points out. Example. The Grove APG I'm involved in. Council are saying selling land to developer is good idea as this adventure playground is not used. It wasn't used due to austerity cuts. We have reopened it by volunteers. Still the narrative is of unused derelict land and property that private sector is all to keen to regenerate. This is ideological obfuscation. Services for ordinary people are cut then he presto private business comes to the rescue. Its neo liberalism in action. Dressed up as commonsense. With handwringing over his unfortunate this is but what can one do?
  • To add. Other recent argument is that this was area for well to do middle class in late 19th Century to early 20th. Now its returning to that. This is how history works and one should just accept it.
An aspect of gentrification is that it is not radical its incremental. It becomes commonsense. Which makes it difficult to argue against.

Last edited:
I may be missing a point here, but to clarify, the bit of this quote that I agreed with,

"Rather than writing lengthy posts in support of Squires & Partners, who are quite literally the architects of the gentrification of that section of Brixton, why not spend that time researching some of the issues around gentrification, housing & poverty?"

Was that I need to spend more time researching some of the issues around gentrification, housing and poverty. I don't think I've agreed that S&P are helping to set a precedent, and I also haven't said that their membership requirements are cheap. I said that for some, in the context of private membership, £23 per month isn't a lot of money.

I agree with most of what you write. I think your point about S&P "inevitably setting a precedent and normalise a life style and an attitude that shows little respect for existing social structures... embrac[ing] the privatisation of culture and normalises exclusion", is really very interesting. I doubt that was ever their intention and I often find myself coming over Kantian when it comes to cause, effect, and intention, but it may well be that by moving to Brixton, S&P have helped to normalise a lifestyle and an attitude that shows little respect for existing social structures - but does this mark S&P out from many other businesses that have set up in Brixton over the last 150 years? If the argument is anti-capitalist, then okay, I get it. Let's have that argument, but I feel comfortable that the overall impact, in the wider context of a 21st century capitalist nation, of S&P investing millions of pounds in Brixton, and creating jobs (a number of businesses operate out of the space that S&P re-developed) is a good thing for Brixton - maybe not your Brixton, this person's Brixton, or that person's Brixton - but Brixton will outlive us all, and we will scarcely recognise it as ours for longer than a decade.

Actually you are wrong here. This building was used. It wasn't derelict. It was used by among others the Refugee Council. As 3Zeros its cuts/ austerity which led to building being "derelict".

So no S&P didn't do Brixton' a favour by coming here.

Actually you are wrong here. This building was used. It wasn't derelict. It was used by among others the Refugee Council. As 3Zeros its cuts/ austerity which led to building being "derelict".

Oh for FFS, there may have been a very small part of the building being used by 'Refuge Council', but most of it was empty. The Post Office had more space than they needed.

Sq

Can't be bothered writing any response as it's all become really boring.

If only 4/5 people can be bothered to discuss this, is it actually relevant?

What's the point?

Oh for FFS, there may have been a very small part of the building being used by 'Refuge Council', but most of it was empty. The Post Office had more space than they needed.
Given the queues that often arc out into the street from the new, much smaller Post Office, I'm not so sure that I can agree.

Not so sure the entire building was ever 'derelict' either.

Sq

Can't be bothered writing any response as it's all become really boring.

If only 4/5 people can be bothered to discuss this, is it actually relevant?

What's the point?

Put the thread on ignore.

Btw the new post office is to small. Might be boring to you but not for me.

Given that I won't have been on here for several months until a few months time, I'm not entirely sure that it will have been worth my while responding to you as you requested, if you've already prefaced my response with a wary prejudice.

Its not prejudice its based on long experience of using internet. Being wary is just common sense.

Example. Poster called Slo-mo came on the Windrush thread here. Engaging posters in discussion of immigration. Even pm me to say I had got him all wrong and he wasn't anti immigration. Later he deliberately started racist thread on different sections.of Urban for which he was rightly promptly banned. His posts sounded "reasonable" but my initial feeling was right. I had given him benefit of the doubt. When I saw he had been banned I realized I had been taken for a ride. My time wasted in discussion with him.

Sophisticated right wing trolling.

You also have to upload a photgraph of yourself and state your date of birth, then tell them why you think you would be benificial to the upstairs community.
mens-money-suit-briefcase.jpg

I see membership for the private members bar - where you can enjoy a "sophisticated level of personal service in a generous uncrowded space" - is now set at £320/year or £348/year if you pay in instalments.

Please note that your application will be vetted to make sure your face fits:

If you would like to apply please provide information which demonstrates your ability to make a positive contribution to the Upstairs community.

Back
Top Bottom