Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fatalities and critical injuries at Asake concert crush at the Brixton Academy

Lots of comments

Lots of comments
Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 10.35.05.jpg

Seems too easy to blame everything on the police, for failing to respond to a situation that seems to have been generated by the way the venue was managed.

View attachment 392551

Seems too easy to blame everything on the police, for failing to respond to a situation that seems to have been generated by the way the venue was managed.
From what I gather the Police did respond and restored order that security had unfortunately lost, having to push back pricks who still wanted to rush into the venue whilst people lay dying on the floor just inside the doors. Then of course there were cries of Police brutality because they pushed a few people off the steps away from the venue. I could imagine the outcry if The Police had acted earlier by cancelling the event and clearing the crowds. It seems damned if they do and damned if they don't in such an extraordinary scenario.

Last edited:
Lots of comments

Comments appear to be blaming the crowed outside for the deaths.

Little criticism of AMG

Some saying at few concerts they attended the place was over crowded.

And police were slow to act.

Overcrowding suggests to many tickets or people getting in without tickets at previous events.

Not sure I'm happy with view it was just the crowds fault. And implication that this licensing condition exonerates AMG. It doesn't. As licencing committee made clear this is separate decision to criminal investigation.

People posting on this Facebook are mixing up two different things.

The Met has finally issued photos of 13 people they want to identify. Perhaps this signifies that they've finished analysing all the video?

AFAICS the Voice and the Mirror are the only papers to publish the photos Brixton Academy Crush: Police appeal to identify 13 persons
Images issued of people cops want to speak to over O2 Brixton Academy crush I'm surprised that the rest of the press haven't done it. Isn't it still a big story?

The Met statement also says "A 22-year-old woman who was injured at the event remains in hospital in a very serious condition."

The Met has finally issued photos of 13 people they want to identify. Perhaps this signifies that they've finished analysing all the video?

AFAICS the Voice and the Mirror are the only papers to publish the photos Brixton Academy Crush: Police appeal to identify 13 persons
Images issued of people cops want to speak to over O2 Brixton Academy crush I'm surprised that the rest of the press haven't done it. Isn't it still a big story?

The Met statement also says "A 22-year-old woman who was injured at the event remains in hospital in a very serious condition."
I think it means they have identified the dickheads who stormed the doors and whipped up the chaos that led to 2 people dying. Hopefully they are held to account.

The Academy reopens tomorrow with a couple of tribute acts, so a bit of a soft launch to test new safety procedures one hopes. Acts are slowly being added in with Arcade Fire and Kamasi Washington just announced.

The Academy reopens tomorrow with a couple of tribute acts, so a bit of a soft launch to test new safety procedures one hopes. Acts are slowly being added in with Arcade Fire and Kamasi Washington just announced.
Local bars/restaurants etc are breathing a huge sigh of life as the income from gig-goers is much needed.

I assume that these tribute bands won't be playing to a full house (I'm guessing just the downstairs part)?

There are some bands where I'd genuinely rather see the tribute act now, even if the real thing is still going.

It's cheaper, you get all the hits without the guff and the 'new material' nobody is there for, plus you don't have to endure some stadium experience with terrible sound.

There are some bands where I'd genuinely rather see the tribute act now, even if the real thing is still going.

It's cheaper, you get all the hits without the guff and the 'new material' nobody is there for, plus you don't have to endure some stadium experience with terrible sound.
I do get the appeal - although the huge size of the gigs baffles me - but the one time I saw a Smiths tribute band I felt, well, embarrassed.
People were shouting "Morrissey" for the encore. Eek.

Exactly. Some are really good and you'll never get to see the originals- Bjorn Again, The Australian Pink Floyd for example. Rick Astley's Smiths gig at Glastonbury was great.

Exactly. Some are really good and you'll never get to see the originals- Bjorn Again, The Australian Pink Floyd for example. Rick Astley's Smiths gig at Glastonbury was great.

I've seen Guns 2 Roses a few times and they are easily a more enjoyable and cheaper night out than paying through the nose to watch the original band play at <insert mega stadium here> for £££s.

You also don't have to endure any of the new material

Back
Top Bottom