Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine

I thought I'd put this here as there are already plenty of threads concerning the Ukraine....

Anyway it all seems to be kicking off there atm. The crux of the issue would appear to be closer ties with the EU which have been rejected by President Viktor Yanukovych in favour of maintaining links including cheap gas with Russia. This article in the Graun gives some background and appears to be balanced though I would be interested to hear any other angles.

in the meantime here is a vid of the protestors using a mechanical digger to clear the police though it would appear some amongst the crowd are trying to avoid carnage.

though the same cannot be said of the police

MaliciaRogue: Graphic: More picture from #Kiev and more examples of police brutality on peaceful protesters popping up. #euromaidan http://t.co/UIKlfUxTqV

(CNN) -- The chief of police in Kiev, Ukraine, Valeriy Koryak, has resigned after riot police used "excessive force" against anti-government protesters, police said.

131201133946-09-ukraine-protest-1201-horizontal-gallery.jpg

131201133901-02-ukraine-protest-1201-horizontal-gallery.jpg

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/01/w...-chief-resigns/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

What on earth is a Polish MEP and VP of the European Union doing inciting revolution on a platform of the protestors in a sovereign country?

sourced from various media reports.

Protestors used a JCB to attack police lines!

I think the response from our media would be slightly different if that was happening in a western country. The cheerleading from the media and co here makes me uneasy - this looks like a proxy fight between russia and the west over control of ukraine - with the western backed faction trying to oust the pro-russian government - with political dodgeyness on all sides.

This article seems a fairly decent overview of the situation.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...imistic-young-ukrainians-europe-russian-power

Last edited:
We have learnt from Libya and Syria that its probably best not to support blindly anybody who shouts revolution, haven't we? Otherwise you might end up supporting a load of reactionary cockwombles if you dont check the aims and policies of who ever is carrying out the revolt.

Last edited:
My dad works in Kiev; he's back there tomorrow for two weeks, so will be asking him what the atmosphere's like. It must be said that form isn't good for replacing whatever git's in power with someone who's any better in that neck of the woods. As with most places, I suppose.

Some of my dad's shots from Independence Square tonight:

1470335_10152086434013659_2143959174_n.jpg

1477343_10152086433788659_1974344162_n.jpg

1474529_10152086433868659_307190029_n.jpg

Apparently no uniformed police in sight.

Apparently anti Euro demonstrators have been paid by 'certain sources'.

We have learnt from Libya and Syria that its probably best not to support blindly anybody who shouts revolution, haven't we? Otherwise you might end up supporting a load of reactionary cockwombles if you dont check the aims and policies of who ever is carrying out the revolt.

I think it's sweet the way you assume 'we' care about not supporting cockwombles in persuit of our nefarious ends. :)

I don't know if it's the same place he was staying during his last contract there, but previously he was just off the main shopping street, Kreshyatik.

Town Hall opposite my dad's apartment been taken over by European supporters:

1486854_10152091314313659_2080074211_n.jpg

Are you aware that all those blue & yellow flags are Svoboda flags, an extreme right wing party whose leader claims that Ukraine is currently run by a 'Muscovite-Jewish mafia'

Are the more liberal youngsters/hipsters/students, etc who are marching aware of Svoboda's politics?

In Ukraine itself I think a large number of them are fully aware (as opposed to their cheerleaders in the west)

I posted this quote below in the other thread on the far right in Ukraine a while ago which looked at the appeal of Svoboda to the politically active & liberal ukrainian youth & media

the 2012 parliamentary election has been notable for the return of ‘ideology’. There has been some kind of consensus among many ostensibly liberal and politically active young Ukrainians that Svoboda is the only major party with a genuine political programme guided by an ideology to which the party’s leaders and activists have a long-standing adherence. Just as they are tired of the current political elite, Ukrainian voters seem to be fed up with the indistinct philosophies of big, catch-all parties such as the PoR and ‘Fatherland’. Paradoxically, several Ukrainian journalists working for allegedly pro-democratic publications have openly articulated their support for Svoboda for this very reason. These journalists claim to reject Svoboda’s racism, but see the fact of its being apparently rooted in ideology as of paramount importance. Hence the unexpected support received by the far right from a large number of liberal and pro-democratic political and social commentators, who have further legitimised Svoboda as an emphatically political organisation worthy of their vote. In the stifling atmosphere of catch-all parties’ obscure positions, the very fact that one party has a well-defined and articulate ideology (no matter what underpins this ideology) has appealed to many Ukrainian voters.

Back
Top Bottom