Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukip - why are they gaining support?

As the Major from Fawlty Towers was unavailable UKIP have selected leading fuckloon Roger Helmer to fight the Newark by-election

Quotes taken from when he was a tory MEP btw

Interesting choice of candidate. I suppose there is the E.Mids MEP thing, but being such a recent convert...it's literally just 2 years since he defected from the nasty party...hmmm...looks like they really want to rub it in.

Interesting choice of candidate. I suppose there is the E.Mids MEP thing, but being such a recent convert...it's literally just 2 years since he defected from the nasty party...hmmm...looks like they really want to rub it in.
He resigned in protest because they wouldn't pick a man who published golliwog picturebooks as his successor.

but he'd have made that Euro decision ages ago, no?
Yep - that's what i'm saying he's #1 on the euro list, almost guaranteed a seat, so he was picked in the expectation of putting up a pro campaign and not damaging any other potential UKIP up and comers.

Oh hang on, he'll be an MEP in June then won't he? He won't be able to stand. Very odd.

edit: no, he can stand, he just can't take the seat if he wins, unless he resigns as MEP.

Yep - that's what i'm saying he's #1 on the euro list, almost guaranteed a seat, so he was picked in the expectation of putting up a pro campaign and not damaging any other potential UKIP up and comers.

Oh hang on, he'll be an MEP in June then won't he? He won't be able to stand. Very odd.

edit: no, he can stand, he can't take the seat if he wins, unless he resigns as MEP.
Can they change the list order at this late stage?

Surely Helmer would be a liability as an MP? Or is that what they want, someone to stick it to the 'politically correct'?

They just want an MP and i don't think they care too much who it is at this point. They just need one person to break through the barrier that they can point to them come may 215

Last edited:
Helmer should be entertaining. He is nuttier than squirrel shit.
"Let me make another point which will certainly get me vilified, but which I think is important to make: while in the first case, the blame is squarely on the perpetrator and does not attach to the victim, in the second case the victim surely shares a part of the responsibility, if only for establishing reasonable expectations in her boyfriend’s mind."
Now he is out on point for UKIP.
Helmer stated of the Roman Catholic Church that: "it would be perfectly fair to describe it as systemically paedophile."
:D

Can they change the list order at this late stage?
I don't think it matters, I'm not 100% sure but I think if an MEP retires the party who won the seat basically get to appoint whoever they want as their replacement. So there's no real problem with him running, and getting elected, as an MEP and then running for Westminster.

They just want an MP and i don't think they care too much who it is at this point. They just need one person to break through the barrier that they can point to them come may 215

Do they want an MP before 2015? Why not stand Farage if they really want to win?

I don't think it matters, I'm not 100% sure but I think if an MEP retires the party who won the seat basically get to appoint whoever they want as their replacement. So there's no real problem with him running, and getting elected, as an MEP and then running for Westminster.
I think Ian Paisley was an MP and MEP at the same time. Inspiration for Helmer.

Course they do! Trouble is Farage would be damaged by running and failing though - in one year he can pick any seat he likes.

Hmmm, so its better that Helmer runs the risk of losing... But even so, I mean they must want to maintain the momentum they have going in to the election, would having an MP help them do that? Could feasibly cost them 3 or 4 MP's next year.

Hmmm, so its better that Helmer runs the risk of losing... But even so, I mean they must want to maintain the momentum they have going in to the election, would having an MP help them do that? Could feasibly cost them 3 or 4 MP's next year.
I'd have advised Farage to go for it.

And here's my reasoning: farage is the only nationally known and credible candidate they have. They have a year to attract other such candidates - either from across the political divide, from business etc and doing so is key to turning current high levels of support into something substantial. A Farage victory would be likely to demonstrate that the careerist hopes of these types might not go for a burton if they join UKIP - and the potential immediate/medium term benefits of getting some credible candidates on board would easily outweigh any damage if he didn't win.

Helmer was picked at a local hustings (as things should be, and a marked contrast to the Tory parachute), so I don't think it implies any particular strategy - I don't think they're that organised or scheming. It's one of their (few) charms.

There's the risk that if Helmer wins then he'll become a different focus to nige and that might not be useful to the party, particularly with some of crap he's come out with (alongside the comments highlighted in the media there's tons more lower-level reactionary bullshit). Can't see him appealing to younger voters, but then they vote in fewer numbers and UKIP don't need them or have to act on their concerns (similar strategy to the current government in that respect, pensioners 'triple locked', EMA scrapped).

Back
Top Bottom