Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Two 18th century Chelsea houses collapse entirely ‘during basement conversion’

I'm surprised it hadn't happened earlier tbh. I work in Chelsea and we get several resident association newsletters through our letterpost, and even most of the rich locals owning such houses are against this kind of monster monster extensions Some of them go down three levels down; others extend across the street and have a much larger footprint than that of the pre-exsiting house. Some of them have taken the best part of two years to dig out and build ffs...

Tbf, if those drawings are the actual works then it isn’t a mega basement - it looks like an extension at basement level outside of the main building footprint.

I’d laugh if I hadn’t just put in a planning application to take out a large chunk of a structural wall in a similar style of property with four floors above. Eek.

Tbf, if those drawings are the actual works then it isn’t a mega basement - it looks like an extension at basement level outside of the main building footprint.

I’d laugh if I hadn’t just put in a planning application to take out a large chunk of a structural wall in a similar style of property with four floors above. Eek.
Yeah, not a mega basement at all but the sort of thing that goes on everywhere.

It would actually be quite interesting to understand what went wrong here.

Yeah, not a mega basement at all but the sort of thing that goes on everywhere.

It would actually be quite interesting to understand what went wrong here.
One article I read says the two houses were being knocked together to create one huge residence, so my guess is it’s less the basement being dug out that caused the issue, more some twat getting rid of a rather important wall.

maybe it was the new roof collapsing in and not the basement.
would be funny if they converted from a flat roof to a pitched roof to increase the floorspace and this led to them rapidly decreasing the floorspace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom